What musical thang didja work on today/night?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

permanent hearing damage
re-cappin' neve

Re: What musical thang didja work on today/night?

Post by permanent hearing damage » Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:38 pm

- tracked and mixed a few songs for a punky noise-rock band from new york. they recorded vocals live, which i admittedly tried talking them out of, but ended up building a little gobo house around the singer, so the bleed was pretty tolerable. this is also my second session tracking with asebatron vmp4000e in my rack. i think i like this thing on kick - esp for pairing with a beta 91, maybe better than my capi options. killer on bass as well. the tone switches are amazing!
- tweaked a remix on my old band's second LP. only one song left and then it gets a quiet re-release. then i have two and a half more LPs to dig into.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:40 am

The Scum wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 6:51 pm
Played a house show:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Z2oZTcwAkE

Today, working through reconfiguring some patchbays & rearranging some racks.
That was fun. Not sure about the cigar ... :twisted:
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:13 am

Much better today.
Mixing a record that I've been engineering for a guitar quartet. Classical, Dobro, electric and p-bass. I set them up in a circle and we tracked everything live over a few sessions. No headphones, no punch ins and the only overdubs are a few solos and egg shaker. We picked the best take and edited the multi tracks to make any fixes.

Sounds really lovely. The studio sounded great but a bit dry so I'm using a little of an IR of the Ryman and a Tapco stereo spring reverb to wet things. The Tapco is a real surprise. Sounds so good in this context. Way better than I would have expected. I temped it in at the studio because I didn't have access to my usual plate IRs. I fully expected to swap it once I got back home to mix but it sounds so good that I've just left it as the main reverb.

The only issue I'm having now is with some boomy bass bleed on songs from our first session. Experimenting with multi band compression on the classical and Dobro mics to try to reign it in without killing the tone of the guitars. Seems to be working ok. We'll see what it sounds like in the car.

The Scum
moves faders with mind

Post by The Scum » Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:18 am

Not sure about the cigar ... :twisted:
Ya mean the headset mic?

A cigar would light my hair on fire...
"What fer?"
"Cat fur, to make kitten britches."

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:26 pm

:lol:
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

markjazzbassist
tinnitus

Post by markjazzbassist » Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:35 am

only working on my own stuff now, recorded a demo last night of a song, it came together pretty quickly, electric piano, bass and drum machine is enough for the demo. i'll revisit it later when i'm trying to figure out how to compile everything into this record. for now i'm just getting the good ideas down on tape for later review.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:09 pm

We worked on 3 new songs at rehearsal today.

digitaldrummer
ghost haunting audio students

Post by digitaldrummer » Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:11 am

last weekend was some tracking of bass -- a Fender Jazz through the DI on a Yamaha PM1000 into a Klark Teknik KT-2A. Not bad.... then some band rehearsals where we also worked out some new arrangements and refined a few others in preparation for this weekend. Originally thought we might track basics live, but I've decided for this current material we are going to start with a guitar/vocal scratch track and build/replace.

Also last weekend tracked some female vocals with another recent acquisition - the Slate VMS ML-1. I did not get the Slate preamp so I'm using a Danfield Audio MXp20 (one of those squeaky clean pres). I tracked w/o the plugins and the mic sounds pretty good as is, but it is also nice to add the plugin and then flip through the different models until one stands out in the mix. I added a little compression and a slight roll-off of the low end and the mic models did the rest. In this case, I thought the Blackbird U67 was the winner.

i have a Slate VMS ML-2 as well so that will likely get used for acoustic guitar scratch tracks (unless we go direct but sometimes that piezo PU sound drives me crazy by itself...)
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

digitaldrummer
ghost haunting audio students

Post by digitaldrummer » Mon Mar 04, 2019 1:43 pm

this past weekend. drum tracks for 2 separate clients. then those demo/scratch tracks i mentioned earlier -- we got scratches for 12 songs! which means I will be busy tracking drums for the foreseeable future. Oh, and i was thinking about micing the acoustic but we decided to go direct. guitar player broke a string on the first song and... you guessed it. did not bring extra strings. i gave him a set, he replaced the string and it popped again while tuning! arrgh! so he used the electric... no big deal, it's scratch anyway. Glad I did not bother to setup a mic. Then re-recorded a vocal for a singer, flew in a guitar solo (recorded remotely) and finalized a couple mixes for her. Overall a pretty good weekend.
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:50 pm

Last nite and 2nite, vocals and mixes on the very last 4 choons done by my old man band, Los Altercocker Rockers.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

ubertar

Post by ubertar » Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:09 am

vvv wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:50 pm
Last nite and 2nite, vocals and mixes on the very last 4 choons done by my old man band, Los Altercocker Rockers.
You should open for Meshuggah. :mrgreen:

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:13 am

I think we'd a been probably too, eh, loud, yeah. :twisted:
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

A.David.MacKinnon

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Wed May 01, 2019 5:33 pm

Bringing this thread back. I'm currently exporting final mixes for the never ending record that I was grumbling about when this thread started. I see a light at the end of the tunnel!
What are all of you working on tonight?

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Wed May 01, 2019 6:27 pm

Had the day off as took moms to the doc in the AM, so:

Downloaded, prepped and mixed 9 tracks (keys, saxes, guitars) sent from London onna new Vlayman song, tho' the trax are sent by my partner in scumble.

Then I recorded 6 tracks of guitars {Paul into Duncan Tweakfuzz into BBE SoulVibe into Pro,Jr into AKGd190e into a Altec 1589b) and mixed anuvver new song, what makes 8 where I need 10 for the next release.

Now I'm workin' onna glass of wine.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Wed May 01, 2019 6:30 pm

ubertar wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:22 am
kslight wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:10 pm
Workin on music for a supernatural western film. :alien:
sounds interesting.
Thanks, just submitted the full score for this feature over the weekend (have been working on this for some time, as the film has been in post production awhile). I expect there will be some adjustments so technically not “finished” but had to make a cut off for a festival deadline anyway. Lots of long days over the last couple of weeks...actually impressive what amount i can get done when i put my mind to it, but I always work better with a real deadline vs open ended stuff...