Surround Sound Thread

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Surround Sound Thread

Post by Nick Sevilla » Tue Feb 26, 2019 1:30 pm

Anyone doing this? I'm going to re-introduce myself into this black art.

Have two sets of consumer speakers, for now. If this takes off, then I'll get a proper set of monitors, like some JBLs.

Anyone here routinely do Surround?
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

markjazzbassist
tinnitus

Re: Surround Sound Thread

Post by markjazzbassist » Tue Feb 26, 2019 1:51 pm

i didn't realize people actually did surround for anything other than movies anymore.

thread derail: i love how audio keeps trying to break the stereo mold. first quadraphonic, then surround sound, what next?

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:55 pm

markjazzbassist wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 1:51 pm
i didn't realize people actually did surround for anything other than movies anymore.

thread derail: i love how audio keeps trying to break the stereo mold. first quadraphonic, then surround sound, what next?
Some of my friends do surround sound remixes of huge albums:

Pink Floyd Dark Side Of The Moon, and The Wall.
Tons of Yes albums.
The Who.

etc.

I tried doing this years ago, but clients either did not have the budget, or were completely uninterested.

Now that Blu Ray is "out" and 4K is in, maybe I can do some stuff. Who knows.

Plus, it should be fun.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:12 pm

Its cool that you're doing stuff, Nick, but I'm with Mark on this. Surround music never took off, and probably won't. Its a movie thing.

markjazzbassist
tinnitus

Post by markjazzbassist » Wed Feb 27, 2019 6:51 am

Nick Sevilla wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:55 pm
markjazzbassist wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 1:51 pm

Some of my friends do surround sound remixes of huge albums:

Pink Floyd Dark Side Of The Moon, and The Wall.
Tons of Yes albums.
The Who.

etc.

I tried doing this years ago, but clients either did not have the budget, or were completely uninterested.

Now that Blu Ray is "out" and 4K is in, maybe I can do some stuff. Who knows.

Plus, it should be fun.
sounds like they are taking a queue from the movie industry. when i lived in LA all my industry friends would tell me how the ship has been sinking for decades with movie attendance slowing year after year. 3D was supposed to be the big saviour, everyone will go if it's 3D. Now 4K, next it will all be IMAX or something. Just comical that they think the gimmick is what draws people in, not the story telling.

AndersonSoundRecording
ass engineer

Post by AndersonSoundRecording » Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:29 pm

I've done some surround work, and worked a lot of big live music productions over the years for HDTV and such where surround is very much a thing. I even get called to assist on some of NHK's 22.2 surround productions for 8k video. That's actually a thing, and it will start reaching the consumer fairly soon, at least in Japan.

Lately though, I've been getting into the immersive stuff for binaural production - I think that has a lot more potential for music, especially since the majority of people seem to be listening on headphones nowadays. 360 video and AR/VR application are cool, but I think even as a standalone music-only thing, immersive 360 mixes (even headlocked) can be a pretty intense and amazing experience for the listener. I reckon there's a lot of potential, both in the audiophile classical and jazz worlds, and maybe even more so in electronic music production.

There's some pretty cool free tools out there right now (facebook 360, Sennheiser Ambeo Orbit, etc. Reaper seems to be the best platform); some incredible advanced techology (Dolby Atmos, DearVR), and it's kind of the Wild West, so it's a pretty exciting time to be dipping a toe in the "immerisve audio" water.
I heard they inserted a Jimmy Hendrix into the chain somewhere before the preamp.

...Anybody know what that preamp was, 'cause I'd also love to get that sound.

- Mike Tate
https://www.facebook.com/AndersonSoundRecording
andersonsoundrecording.com

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Fri Mar 01, 2019 4:30 am

I note that Bob Clearmountain in the latest TapeOp speaks of doing a surround version of most everything he does.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

digitaldrummer
ghost haunting audio students

Post by digitaldrummer » Fri Mar 01, 2019 6:36 am

vvv wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 4:30 am
I note that Bob Clearmountain in the latest TapeOp speaks of doing a surround version of most everything he does.
but I think he also said something like "in case anyone ever wants it..." implying nobody wants it. At least not yet. :-)
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

Magnetic Services
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Magnetic Services » Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:56 am

AndersonSoundRecording wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:29 pm
Lately though, I've been getting into the immersive stuff for binaural production - I think that has a lot more potential for music, especially since the majority of people seem to be listening on headphones nowadays. 360 video and AR/VR application are cool, but I think even as a standalone music-only thing, immersive 360 mixes (even headlocked) can be a pretty intense and amazing experience for the listener. I reckon there's a lot of potential, both in the audiophile classical and jazz worlds, and maybe even more so in electronic music production.

There's some pretty cool free tools out there right now (facebook 360, Sennheiser Ambeo Orbit, etc. Reaper seems to be the best platform); some incredible advanced techology (Dolby Atmos, DearVR), and it's kind of the Wild West, so it's a pretty exciting time to be dipping a toe in the "immerisve audio" water.
Agreed, immersive audio (especially the binaural format) is where it's at. I tried to start a thread about Ambisonics here a while ago, but it never got any traction. I think this is a huge future market to explore, but honestly, for "regular" music, I don't think it's going to take off. People usually just want to blast their bluetooth speaker or listen in their car, etc. It's cool and fun to do immersive mixing, but it's mostly good for cinematic/game audio applications. The music is usually just a stereo headlocked track.

That said, I advise everyone here to at least familiarize themselves with immersive audio. It's the future of audio that quad never was :) Here are some tools to get started:

http://www.ambisonictoolkit.net/documentation/reaper/

http://www.matthiaskronlachner.com/?p=2015

https://facebook360.fb.com/spatial-workstation/

Even if you're still delivering 5.1 or 7.1 formats, mix it Ambisonically so you have the freedom to convert to other formats later!

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Wed Mar 06, 2019 3:14 pm

Magnetic Services wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:56 am

That said, I advise everyone here to at least familiarize themselves with immersive audio. It's the future of audio that quad never was :) Here are some tools to get started:

http://www.ambisonictoolkit.net/documentation/reaper/

http://www.matthiaskronlachner.com/?p=2015

https://facebook360.fb.com/spatial-workstation/

Even if you're still delivering 5.1 or 7.1 formats, mix it Ambisonically so you have the freedom to convert to other formats later!
This sounds interesting as well. Yes, my Pro Tools 12 has that FB 360 stuff, so I'll be checking this out as well. I do also have Reaper, but would rather stick to familiar DAW, at least at first.