500 series racks - how much power do I need?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Magnetic Services
suffering 'studio suck'

500 series racks - how much power do I need?

Post by Magnetic Services » Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:08 am

Hey folks, I'm looking to finally dive into the 500 series world and need some recommendations for a chassis. Here's the backstory:

I recently moved out of my studio, and I'd like to condense my gear into a portable 6U rack case while retaining the capability to record a full band live. I already have the rack, a power conditioner, a MOTU Monitor 8 as the interface/headphone amp, and a MOTU 8pre for some extra preamps. That leaves me with 3U of space, and I figured sticking a 500 series chassis in there was the most efficient way to squeeze in as much gear as possible.

So I'm looking for a powered 500 series rack with 8-10 slots, but I don't want to get stuck with not enough power. Most of the slots will be filled with preamps, maybe a DI or two, maybe a compressor or two. Keeping in mind that all slots might be running at the same time, plus phantom power, how much power should I look for in a chassis? For example, the Radial Workhorse Powerhouse 10-slot chassis is a tempting, inexpensive option, but will its 1.8 amps be enough?

Alternatively, anybody know of power-efficient 500-series preamps?

Thanks!

joninc
dead but not forgotten

Re: 500 series racks - how much power do I need?

Post by joninc » Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:56 am

The radial ones are great and have lots of power and some nice extra features like easy daisy chaining of adjacent channels.

Plus I used the D-sub in when mixing as well.
the new rules : there are no rules

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Thu Apr 25, 2019 1:08 pm

Not to discount the Radial, but on the cheap the Midas L10 looks like a crazy deal. I have an L6 which is just fine for my needs. I like the easy chaining of channels (switch versus patching cables), and 10 year warranty is legit. 8)

Magnetic Services
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Magnetic Services » Thu Apr 25, 2019 2:40 pm

kslight wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 1:08 pm
Not to discount the Radial, but on the cheap the Midas L10 looks like a crazy deal. I have an L6 which is just fine for my needs. I like the easy chaining of channels (switch versus patching cables), and 10 year warranty is legit. 8)
Do you think the internal switched power supply is a compromise? Seems like higher-end units have external PSUs. Even the Radial has an external brick, although it looks a little cheap.

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Thu Apr 25, 2019 4:48 pm

Magnetic Services wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 2:40 pm
kslight wrote:
Do you think the internal switched power supply is a compromise? Seems like higher-end units have external PSUs. Even the Radial has an external brick, although it looks a little cheap.
No, and I don't see any correlation between price and external PSUs at glance... You see something like a Purple Sweet Ten with an internal, and the Rupert Neve, both companies that I perceive to command some respect and at least somewhat higher end. And numerous others as well.

From a manufacturing perspective there's 3 reasons I can think of for an external PSU...ease of getting it approved for EU, its a generic power supply, and to cut down on internal shielding on the rack. So if anything...an external PSU could be perceived as a compromise.

From my own standpoint, for a mobile rack, an internal PSU probably makes most sense to me. At the end of the day though, its easier sufficient for the job or it isn't.

Magnetic Services
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Magnetic Services » Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:00 pm

kslight wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 4:48 pm
Magnetic Services wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 2:40 pm
kslight wrote:
No, and I don't see any correlation between price and external PSUs at glance... You see something like a Purple Sweet Ten with an internal, and the Rupert Neve, both companies that I perceive to command some respect and at least somewhat higher end. And numerous others as well.

From a manufacturing perspective there's 3 reasons I can think of for an external PSU...ease of getting it approved for EU, its a generic power supply, and to cut down on internal shielding on the rack. So if anything...an external PSU could be perceived as a compromise.

From my own standpoint, for a mobile rack, an internal PSU probably makes most sense to me. At the end of the day though, its easier sufficient for the job or it isn't.
Thanks! I might actually try the Midas. Can always upgrade, after all.

Colorblind
takin' a dinner break

Post by Colorblind » Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:29 am

If you're handy with a soldering iron you can buy an 11-space rack kit with PSU from CAPI for about $420. Should have more than enough juice for a rack of preamps.

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Post by Recycled_Brains » Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:42 am

I love my Sweet 10. I think it's pretty forward thinking. It's the only one I have any experience with though, so can't speak to the others. Seems like the Radial could be cool. At this point, I don't think I'd get anything other than the Purple though, should I need a second (I will haha).
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

http://maggotbrainny.bandcamp.com

roscoenyc
carpal tunnel

Post by roscoenyc » Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:03 am

We bought on Rupert Neve 10 space then bought another because we liked the first one so much.
It gives you a readout on the power on the front panel and it also has stereo linking capabilities.

digitaldrummer
ghost haunting audio students

Post by digitaldrummer » Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:58 pm

I have an API vpr500 10-slot (with the external linear power supply) and a 500-8B with the external switching power supply. I have never had a power related problem with either and I have lots of different modules (and have had others over the years in and out...). Maybe not the cheapest out there, but they always work for me.
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:19 am

The Buzz Elixirs (which I love) are a good test for this. They draw A LOT of current. I'm surprised at how many manufacturers say this won't be an issue and then either one of the units won't work or there will be a hum or something. That said, the Purple Sweet Ten is super-solid, dead quiet, built like a tank, has a totally awesome internal PSU, and makes use of the extra unused pin on the 500-series edge connectors, allowing access via an extra jack for each slot.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Post by Recycled_Brains » Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:33 am

cgarges wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:19 am
The Buzz Elixirs (which I love) are a good test for this. They draw A LOT of current. I'm surprised at how many manufacturers say this won't be an issue and then either one of the units won't work or there will be a hum or something. That said, the Purple Sweet Ten is super-solid, dead quiet, built like a tank, has a totally awesome internal PSU, and makes use of the extra unused pin on the 500-series edge connectors, allowing access via an extra jack for each slot.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC
I just filled the last slot on my Sweet 10, and after enough forum perusing I half expected the last module to be a little noisy, given the proximity to the PS. Dead quiet, for sure.
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

http://maggotbrainny.bandcamp.com