Latest gear you've acquired.....

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Re: Latest gear you've acquired.....

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:32 pm

Finally got my classical back from the shop. It was in having a warped bridge removed, pressed and reglued. Sounds so great and it’s finally playable.
I’ve had a long journey with this guitar. I bought it super cheap about 6 or 7 years ago. It’s a blue label Ramirez from Madrid. The blue labels were cheaper guitars made by other Madrid luthiers and rebranded for sale to tourists in the Ramirez show room. This one is slightly larger than a parlour guitar, solid cedar top (I think) solid mahogany back and sides. No idea on the vintage. I’d guess 60’s but who knows.
When I got it someone had painted the rosewood finger board and bridge black (frets and all). It also seems like they had stood back and flung shellac at it. It was covered in thick drippy layers of the stuff. It looked so bad and the action was so crazy that a local shop had it up for $100. It was a total dog but I knew there was something cool under all the gunk. I bought it and played it as is for a few years. Even in its terrible state it sounded fantastic.
A couple of summers ago I finally decided to strip off all the gunk. It took ages but I got it down to bare wood and then gave it a coat of teak oil. I’d dropped it off at my repair guy to have the bridge fixed last summer and quickly forgot about it. He did too it seems. It sat in the shop for 6 month until I remembered it and pestered him. I just brought it home tonight and can’t put it down. So cool.

With the repair I think I’m in about $200 for a vintage, hand made, solid wood classical. Not bad.

roscoenyc
carpal tunnel

Post by roscoenyc » Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:00 am

I used to have a Robin Ranger in the '80's. I sold it to a pal years ago.
Another one fell in my lap last week. The older ones were made at the Tokai factory.
When they started production again at the end of the '90's they were made in Houston.
This one is from 2002 and has Rio Grande pickups

markjazzbassist
tinnitus

Post by markjazzbassist » Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:00 am

i learned guitar (i'm a bassist first so i learned guitar second) on an old classical my dad had. nothing like yours, but i enjoyed the wide fingerboard and playing fingerstyle.

beautiful guitar, enjoy it! i love the natural wood finish with the teak oil

permanent hearing damage
re-cappin' neve

Post by permanent hearing damage » Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:17 am

-went kinda bonkers with pres lately, studio partner left and took his pres with him - got Sebatron Axis 200VU, Sebatron VMP4000e, Vintech dual 72, Langevin dual mono pre and a couple more CAPI units.
-thanks to digitaldrummer's suggestion, bought an sE X1D and then bought two more
- picking up a Fryette D60 today! wish i played guitar worth a damn, but i'm stoked for clients to use it

Studiodawg
takin' a dinner break

Post by Studiodawg » Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:41 am

My upright basses are happy that my latest G.A.S. attack yielded them an Ear Trumpet Labs Nadine microphone.

http://www.eartrumpetlabs.com/products/ ... nes/nadine

markjazzbassist
tinnitus

Post by markjazzbassist » Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:50 am

early 80's DOD FX60 chorus pedal. i've avoided getting a chorus pedal for a long time because to me it is the "80s sound" regardless of what it's put on. and i hate 80s music pretty much completely (i think i have a record from 80 and maybe one from 81, in my collection) due to the tonality and sonic signatures of the era. i digress. it's a nice sounding chorus warm BBD chips and analog. it will work nicely for the occaisional pad with delay getting a wide-ish type mellow sound. cheap too, only 75 bucks, i love DOD pedals, everyone sleeps on them.

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Post by Recycled_Brains » Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:02 am

markjazzbassist wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:50 am
early 80's DOD FX60 chorus pedal. i've avoided getting a chorus pedal for a long time because to me it is the "80s sound" regardless of what it's put on. and i hate 80s music pretty much completely (i think i have a record from 80 and maybe one from 81, in my collection) due to the tonality and sonic signatures of the era. i digress. it's a nice sounding chorus warm BBD chips and analog. it will work nicely for the occaisional pad with delay getting a wide-ish type mellow sound. cheap too, only 75 bucks, i love DOD pedals, everyone sleeps on them.
Dude, same. I just bought 2 chorus pedals (sold one) after 20 years of being a guitar player. Always avoided it for the same reasons. Instant dated sound, despise the 80's with few exceptions, etc. I don't know what did it exactly, but my opinion has completely changed. I ended up using a Ross chorus quite a few overdubs on my band's new record.

I stuck with a Malekko Thicken. It's not as straight-forward as other choruses I've tried, but it's great.
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

http://maggotbrainny.bandcamp.com

losthighway
resurrected

Post by losthighway » Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:57 pm

I've been indulging in a few guitar related purchases lately:

Squire Telecaster, for which I bought some Bootstrap pickups. A friend said his Bootstraps could hang with heavyweights like Lollar, and Fralin. We'll see once they're installed. They're super affordable (I think the set was fifty bucks), made by a guy in a garage in Ohio. I love outfitting cheapo guitars and making them sound awesome. I'm a big humbucker rocker, but have slowly learned the value of having some single coil flavor around the studio.

Also: Mojo Hand Nebula IV Phaser pedal.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sat Mar 09, 2019 2:11 pm

Just received the Malekko phaser ...
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Thu Apr 25, 2019 4:10 am

I also picked up from the 'zon a Hartke HD112 HyDrive for US$167 because it was mis-labeled as a Hartke combo. Nice cab, but unfortunately 4 ohm, what means I can't stack it with my others as my amps (PF500 and HD130) don't do 2 ohms.

Finally, a few pedals including a Joyo AC and Dynaverb for my DI board, a Walrus Audio Iron Horse for the guitar board and a EHX Green Russian for the bass board, along with a Spec Ops Rat because it was cheap and a Tweak Fuzz what I haven't tried yet. Purchases were over the last cuppla monfs, BTW.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

digitaldrummer
ghost haunting audio students

Post by digitaldrummer » Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:19 am

that reminds me. Picked up another MD421 recently and finally a working MD441u. used it a couple times for vocals (wanted something fairly directional since everyone was in the same room). Also picked up a Klark Teknik EQP-KT and a KT-2A. Still playing around with them and comparing to some UAD plugin emulations of the real stuff (since I don't actually have a real LA-2A or Pultec EQ...). And I probably shouldn't admit it, but I picked up Slate Trigger 2 since it was on sale for $49. Not really for me though... more for mixing other people's drum recordings. :-)
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Post by Recycled_Brains » Fri Apr 26, 2019 2:46 pm

2x Louder Than Liftoff Stage II (Royal Blue) 500 modules.

They had a sale, so I took advantage. So far, they're pretty rad. I'm trying them out on mix buss for a heavy project. The ability to vary the amount of the 4.8k shelving boost on the Royal Blue amp block is pretty sick. A very small amount of it added some much needed presence to the mix. Really brought out the background elements. The Super Filter component has taken me a bit more time to get the hang of. Gain staging is certainly key, as it's a fixed input gain deal. But the 23hz HPF and subsequent resonant bump in the low end is really nice. Brings the kick and bass into focus and tightens things up without it sounding any thinner. Quite the opposite, actually. Looking forward to more experimentation.

Also super giddy because I just ordered a Hamptone JFET 500 series preamp. I've wanted his JFET circuit for so long now. The HVTP2 was the first real piece of gear I ever bought. Still my favorite.
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

http://maggotbrainny.bandcamp.com

emrr
buyin' a studio

Post by emrr » Sat Apr 27, 2019 1:47 am

New heat pump for the rear section of the studio.
Doug Williams
ElectroMagnetic Radiation Recorders
Tape Op issue 73

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:23 am

Lookin' for warm sound, eh?

:twisted:

Seymour Duncan Tweak Fuzz I referenced above is pretty cool - very flexible fuzz even usable on bass, and I only paid about US$40 shipped. It won't do full-on Zvex-type, but it sounds very focused, and is quite adjustable.

The Spec Ops Black Distortion at US$20 is very close to current Rats, and inna micro package. I'll go so far as to say it is as good a buy as the cheap Kokko compressor I've mentioned.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:32 pm

permanent hearing damage wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:17 am
-went kinda bonkers with pres lately, studio partner left and took his pres with him - got Sebatron Axis 200VU, Sebatron VMP4000e, Vintech dual 72, Langevin dual mono pre and a couple more CAPI units.
-thanks to digitaldrummer's suggestion, bought an sE X1D and then bought two more
- picking up a Fryette D60 today! wish i played guitar worth a damn, but i'm stoked for clients to use it
I've been getting a ton of use out of my 4 X1Ds.