moving from huge live room to small one

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

permanent hearing damage
re-cappin' neve

moving from huge live room to small one

Post by permanent hearing damage » Tue Apr 30, 2019 6:01 am

anyone go through this change? i'm pretty over my sub-divided warehouse space and am looking to move the studio to a house i just bought. basement is a decent size - around 500 sq ft, but far smaller than my current live room - 1000 sq ft with 11 ft ceilings. contemplating some crazy things - basement dig out, chopping out a room on the first floor to give me a tall drum room. but maybe i should save myself $10-15k and just buy Altiverb?

drumsound
zen recordist

Re: moving from huge live room to small one

Post by drumsound » Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:54 am

If you're altering the house, you need to consider what that does to the resale value, and insurance. You also need to realize that you may be skirting laws and pissing off neighbors if you're going to run a business from your new home. If you do alter the normal living space, you can possibly drill some holes, and put some cabinets in the basement as iso. You could also embrace that a different space will have its own (hopefully good) sound and that chasing your old room's sound will probably drive you batty.

Good Luck in whatever you decide.

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:53 am

Scott MSE I think is dealing with this at the moment he's a good person to ask

Im 100% sure you can come up with creative solutions to make it work

it's scary in a sense but a lot of fun if you look at it the right way

I like a tight small drum space in combination with another room set up as an echo chamber - it really is nice to be able to get the tight sound then mix in the chamber rather than it being baked in

permanent hearing damage
re-cappin' neve

Post by permanent hearing damage » Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:34 pm

yeah, i'm thinking use the rest of the space as a chamber might be cool.

as to neighbors, i'm soundproofing properly and the performance spaces will all be in the basement. it's a decent sized house, and fortunately stand alone - no shared walls (unusual for south philly).

roscoenyc
carpal tunnel

Post by roscoenyc » Tue Apr 30, 2019 1:11 pm

I really hope I don't have to build another place ;)

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Wed May 01, 2019 6:24 am

I moved from a big space to a converted garage. My new space is slightly larger than my old control room and it’s an all in one live/control room. I can also run a snake into the house if I need more space.
I can do a lot here but there are times when it makes the most sense to rent another room for a day or two. Get to know the other studios in your area. Make friends. I have three places I work out of depending on my needs and budget.

As much as I loved having a big studio at a certain point I realized that it was crazy to pay for all that space when I really only needed it for band tracking. Mixing and lots of overdubs only used a fraction of the real estate.

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Thu May 02, 2019 9:35 am

A.David.MacKinnon wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 6:24 am
it was crazy to pay for all that space
Back at my old huge loft I used to say that I spent hundreds a month just for reverb.

It sounded amazing there and I miss it, but as I just master now, the big live room was just an expensive luxury for when I wanted to record my drums.

PHD if i was in your shoes I dunno if I'd go with either a basement dig out or 1st floor room chop out....I don't really know what things cost but I kinda feel like the basement dig out would go through your 10-15k real quick. How high is the ceiling there?

permanent hearing damage
re-cappin' neve

Post by permanent hearing damage » Thu May 02, 2019 11:06 am

ceiling is about 8-8.5 ft high. not too rough, but yeah, the quotes i'm getting are crazy. i think i'm gonna just move the furnace and water heater and get volume that way. not idea, but i think i can get a decent sized live room out of it

markjazzbassist
tinnitus

Post by markjazzbassist » Thu May 02, 2019 11:16 am

is there a garage that came with the house? can that be used?

permanent hearing damage
re-cappin' neve

Post by permanent hearing damage » Thu May 02, 2019 5:03 pm

sadly, no garage. and i'm in a very dense part of town - south philly. this house is unique though, as it's free standing. can prob end up with a 300ish sq ft drum room and 200ish sq ft dead/amp room. not too bad, but not the 1000 sq ft room i've had for the last 12 years