What musical thang didja work on today/night?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Magnetic Services
suffering 'studio suck'

Re: What musical thang didja work on today/night?

Post by Magnetic Services » Wed May 01, 2019 10:31 pm

kslight wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 6:30 pm
ubertar wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:22 am
kslight wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:10 pm
Workin on music for a supernatural western film. :alien:
sounds interesting.
Thanks, just submitted the full score for this feature over the weekend (have been working on this for some time, as the film has been in post production awhile). I expect there will be some adjustments so technically not “finished” but had to make a cut off for a festival deadline anyway. Lots of long days over the last couple of weeks...actually impressive what amount i can get done when i put my mind to it, but I always work better with a real deadline vs open ended stuff...
Same here - did a crazy amount of sound design, editing and mixing for an animated short film the past two weeks so we could make some festival deadlines, and now I'm going back in to polish things up.

There was a fun surprise along the way, too: the director animated and cut the entire film to a recording of a classical piece on YouTube, then we were unable to license that version so we had to dig up this ancient, scratchy old mono recording from the European Archive. Same piece, but totally different tone, tempos, pacing, etc.

I ended up giving the track several layers of light RX de-noise and de-click and time stretched various sections by 1-10% each to make key moments sync with picture, then did a bit of lite mastering and it actually sounds pretty awesome now!

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Wed May 01, 2019 11:01 pm

I played my accompanist gig in the morning, and then got some mixes onto a drive for a listening party tomorrow.

ubertar
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by ubertar » Thu May 02, 2019 9:29 am

Wasn't last night, but Friday night... performed with the UMBC gamelan. I played saron, slentem, ketuk (Javanese) and cheng cheng (Balinese), depending on the piece. The last time I did gamelan was nearly 20 years ago. My wife saw the notice for the performance a little over a month ago, and at first we were just planning on coming to watch and listen, but then it occurred to me to ask if I could join. The prof said yes, so I started coming to rehearsals. I practiced at home on the electric saron I made (I've made several versions over the years) and even practiced on wooden craft sticks while I was in San Francisco for a week... I didn't want to try flying with a set of steel rods. I still made some mistakes, but nothing too bad, I don't think. I'm thinking about doing a record along the lines of my guiturareg series (see post in "listening to music" forum) but gamelan-inspired rather than North African. It will probably happen but might be a while. Feels good to be doing gamelan again.

A.David.MacKinnon

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Fri May 03, 2019 3:32 pm

Started a kids record with a super long term client. He's a dylanesque singer songwriter. We make a record every three to four years.
When we started he couldnt play along with anyone else and his timing was crazy. Years later he's playing guide tracks to drum loops like a champ.
Last edited by A.David.MacKinnon on Fri May 03, 2019 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Magnetic Services
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Magnetic Services » Fri May 03, 2019 4:49 pm

A.David.MacKinnon wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 3:32 pm
Started a kiss record with a super long term client. He's a dylanesque singer songwriter.
Whoa, now that's a mash-up.

A.David.MacKinnon

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Fri May 03, 2019 6:55 pm

Auto correct to the rescue. Should have read KIDS record.
A kiss record would be more fun though. I'll have to have a talk with him.

DrummerMan
george martin

Post by DrummerMan » Sat May 04, 2019 8:14 am

Played an outdoor show last night in a misty Utica (covered stage). Had no idea what to expect and it turned out to be pretty amazing. Great community there. Playing another outdoor show this evening in Winooski VT (we're on tour)

There are so many sonic issues possible with being outdoors but I really really really love it for some reason. I think it fits into my fantasy about what being a gigging musician means. Dont do it often enough.
Geoff Mann
composer | drummer | Los Angeles, CA

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Sat May 04, 2019 10:33 am

Magnetic Services wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 10:31 pm
kslight wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 6:30 pm
ubertar wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:22 am

sounds interesting.
Thanks, just submitted the full score for this feature over the weekend (have been working on this for some time, as the film has been in post production awhile). I expect there will be some adjustments so technically not “finished” but had to make a cut off for a festival deadline anyway. Lots of long days over the last couple of weeks...actually impressive what amount i can get done when i put my mind to it, but I always work better with a real deadline vs open ended stuff...
Same here - did a crazy amount of sound design, editing and mixing for an animated short film the past two weeks so we could make some festival deadlines, and now I'm going back in to polish things up.

There was a fun surprise along the way, too: the director animated and cut the entire film to a recording of a classical piece on YouTube, then we were unable to license that version so we had to dig up this ancient, scratchy old mono recording from the European Archive. Same piece, but totally different tone, tempos, pacing, etc.

I ended up giving the track several layers of light RX de-noise and de-click and time stretched various sections by 1-10% each to make key moments sync with picture, then did a bit of lite mastering and it actually sounds pretty awesome now!
Oh don't you love temp scores, lol?

Animated films are fun. I used to work at a studio that did sound design for animation...briefly...however my job was possibly the most tedious I have ever held in my life...I was editing boat sounds all day... Wasn't for me.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sat May 04, 2019 10:38 am

Sound-checked some new (to me) pedals, including Ibanez 850 (thinner, brighter Muff), Russian Green Muff (thicker, darker = awesome) and BYOC Envelope/FixtWah (too subtle on bass but great on guitar).
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

A.David.MacKinnon

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Sat May 04, 2019 8:40 pm

Did live sound and a live recording at Trinity Church here in Toronto. The church was the site of the Trinity Sessions record by The Cowboy Junkies. Truely an amazing space.
We had two hours between load in and doors. Discovered as soon as I unpacked the snake and board (rented by the artist) that the snake monitor lines were XLR and the board aux were TRS. The only TRS to XLR adapters available we're female (we needed male). We ended up hacking the wires on the snake and TRS adapters, twisting and taping the bare wires together to make McGiver connections. Amazingly it worked.
We missed soundcheck and had to roll with just a line check. There were a few hiccups but it sounded pretty good all told.
The lineup was grand piano, string quartet, drums and a multi instrumentalist playing guitar, mandolin and bass.

Now I need a stiff drink

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sat May 04, 2019 9:51 pm

Damn!

I'd like to buy ya some ... 8)
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

4theboids
audio school

Post by 4theboids » Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:17 pm

Recreating from memory (sadly no recordings can be found) a song a pianist/singer/songwriter friend wrote and performed live in the late 90's or so (I was his bassist) . Always loved the song (called "Turpentine", a little ditty about moonshiners) and finally summoned up the nerve to ask him if I could cover it for a future project. He said no prob! He'll even provide the lyrics and a piano/voice scratch track.

Today I laid in bass, drum loops, rhythm guitars, overdriven organ and piano. Still have another section to re-create but made a good amount of progress on the first verse and chorus. Very funky and syncopated music.

losthighway
resurrected

Post by losthighway » Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:58 am

I started trying to square away a vocal melody for a tune I'm writing with some Nilsson inspired quick modulations. Turns out being an only fair singer, pitch-wise, means I've laid out some work for myself. I had to do the "guide track" trick with a guitar once I found a melody that worked so I could learn to sing on the key change in pitch. So far it's only nonsense words so now I get to write lyrics to that.
Last edited by losthighway on Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

michaelkerchner
ass engineer

Post by michaelkerchner » Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:00 am

installed new master faders in a Trident 80B console
sounds good, compress it
@thedarkchurchrecording