Anyone try Neumann KH 80 monitors?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Anyone try Neumann KH 80 monitors?

Post by kslight » Wed May 22, 2019 10:14 am

Considering a new small set of monitors for my very small but treated, bedroom studio and these came up. I realize that the 4” woofer may lead to some skepticism, but given the size and squareness of my room I feel like bigger monitors would be problematic. At about $1000 for a pair, these are probably near the top of my budget. These are really only for me, not worried about how they sound to a second person in the room (because two people is a crowd in my room anyway).

Other contenders include Focal and IK Multimedia iloud MTM (that’s a wild card...my perception of IK is that they are a prosumer brand at best, and their iloud line look an awful lot like basic computer speakers..but seem very well reviewed). The MTM isn’t out yet but seems to be shipping next month, and appears a little more pro than the regular iloud...built in idiot proof room correction facility seems nice, though frequency specs sound impossible or unbelievable...so I’m a bit skeptical of these. I’m also a software customer of theirs and have been frustrated by them in the past, so there’s that.

I do lots of different music...rock, some electronic, film...I have a subpac for monitoring bass which works pretty well for me so I’m not super concerned about extreme low end....pushing too much of that is asking for problems in my room.

I currently have equator D5s..hoping for an upgrade?

I don’t have a local store that I can demo these in. Will have to hope to make a good choice and prefer not to return them unless they just don’t work out.

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Re: Anyone try Neumann KH 80 monitors?

Post by Recycled_Brains » Fri May 24, 2019 7:41 am

kslight wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 10:14 am
Considering a new small set of monitors for my very small but treated, bedroom studio and these came up. I realize that the 4” woofer may lead to some skepticism, but given the size and squareness of my room I feel like bigger monitors would be problematic. At about $1000 for a pair, these are probably near the top of my budget. These are really only for me, not worried about how they sound to a second person in the room (because two people is a crowd in my room anyway).

Other contenders include Focal and IK Multimedia iloud MTM (that’s a wild card...my perception of IK is that they are a prosumer brand at best, and their iloud line look an awful lot like basic computer speakers..but seem very well reviewed). The MTM isn’t out yet but seems to be shipping next month, and appears a little more pro than the regular iloud...built in idiot proof room correction facility seems nice, though frequency specs sound impossible or unbelievable...so I’m a bit skeptical of these. I’m also a software customer of theirs and have been frustrated by them in the past, so there’s that.

I do lots of different music...rock, some electronic, film...I have a subpac for monitoring bass which works pretty well for me so I’m not super concerned about extreme low end....pushing too much of that is asking for problems in my room.

I don’t have a local store that I can demo these in. Will have to hope to make a good choice and prefer not to return them unless they just don’t work out.
This probably isn't terribly helpful, but a friend of mine uses the Neumann's. He likes them. His mixes always sound really nice to me. I've listened through them (not-critically) a bunch of times and they sound good, though I have no clue how well they translate if you mix on them. I bet the Focals would be nice. I have the solo 6's, which are stupid expensive, but they are nice speakers.
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

http://maggotbrainny.bandcamp.com

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Fri May 24, 2019 8:59 am

I'm only commenting because I also have the Equator D5's. I like them for a "second opinion", especially for mid-rangy stuff (vocals, guitars) and sometimes good for hearing reverb tails a little better. But my main monitors are the Dynaudio BM6A. I was going to recommend them but just checked and the price is kind of ridiculous compared to what i paid for them (new, but several years ago) so maybe they have been replaced? Anyway, i do like the Dynaudios although sometimes maybe they sound a little too pretty (but that's why I have the D5's - they are not pretty sounding).

Mike
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Fri May 24, 2019 6:49 pm

digitaldrummer wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 8:59 am
I'm only commenting because I also have the Equator D5's. I like them for a "second opinion", especially for mid-rangy stuff (vocals, guitars) and sometimes good for hearing reverb tails a little better. But my main monitors are the Dynaudio BM6A. I was going to recommend them but just checked and the price is kind of ridiculous compared to what i paid for them (new, but several years ago) so maybe they have been replaced? Anyway, i do like the Dynaudios although sometimes maybe they sound a little too pretty (but that's why I have the D5's - they are not pretty sounding).

Mike
Yeah in my room I really don't have practical space for two sets of speakers, unless they were pretty small I guess which would probably defeat the purpose. I do everything on the D5s and headphones. I know the D5s were pretty hip "for the price" however many years ago...not sure if I've ever really loved them. I feel like I'm always playing games back and forth to make these translate. But that could be a me problem, not the monitors, as well..
Last edited by kslight on Fri May 24, 2019 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Fri May 24, 2019 6:53 pm

Recycled_Brains wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 7:41 am
kslight wrote:

This probably isn't terribly helpful, but a friend of mine uses the Neumann's. He likes them. His mixes always sound really nice to me. I've listened through them (not-critically) a bunch of times and they sound good, though I have no clue how well they translate if you mix on them. I bet the Focals would be nice. I have the solo 6's, which are stupid expensive, but they are nice speakers.
Does he have this model (KH 80) or the older larger model (KH 120)?

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Post by Recycled_Brains » Sat May 25, 2019 6:19 am

kslight wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 6:53 pm
Recycled_Brains wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 7:41 am
kslight wrote:

Does he have this model (KH 80) or the older larger model (KH 120)?
Hmmm, I'll have to ask.
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

http://maggotbrainny.bandcamp.com