tracking headphones 2019 (for the performers)

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

permanent hearing damage
re-cappin' neve

tracking headphones 2019 (for the performers)

Post by permanent hearing damage » Wed May 29, 2019 12:35 pm

i've been using those Vic Firth SIH1s for a good long time. they sound pretty good and achieve excellent isolation. they aren't the most comfortable and they break all the time (this has been rectified for me by always buying the extended warranty - Vic Firth's is only 90 days and they seem reluctant to replace them after you send a pair back previously).

Seems Vic Firth have finally released an MKII and discontinued the old ones. they're a bit pricier (def bought some of the MKIs for under $40 over the years), though I'm skeptical as to whether or not they reconciled the design flaw that always made the left channel go out quickly - can anyone comment on this?

Are there other games in town for this? I bought the CAD ones a while back and they sound like utter garbage and don't knock down outside noise enough for me. KAT are cheaper than current SIH2s but I'm skeptical about sound quality - can anyone comment?

I used to use my many busted SIH1 headphones on planes (along with earbuds) to keep volume down enough to hear my media. I recently switched to a set of AKG N60nc for plane duty that I got refurb'ed for $40 and they work marvelously. curious how noise canceling headphones might work for tracking? and are there any that might actually stay on a drummer's head?

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Re: tracking headphones 2019 (for the performers)

Post by Recycled_Brains » Wed May 29, 2019 1:24 pm

ATH-M50's. Every client that I let try mine loves them.
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

http://maggotbrainny.bandcamp.com

digitaldrummer
ghost haunting audio students

Post by digitaldrummer » Wed May 29, 2019 5:49 pm

I have some ATH-M30's that I kinda like. Lower cost than the M50's but usually even the bass player will track with them. I used the Vic Firth for a long time too but they are terribly uncomfortable and don't really sound that good. I upgraded my drum cans to the Direct Sound EX-29. Better overall sound (frequency response) and more comfortable. EX-25's look pretty affordable too.
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Thu May 30, 2019 5:22 am

AKG K52s over here. Admittedly I bought them because they were one of the cheaper, robust options. I'm always reluctant to spend a bunch on tracking headphone because they get trashed so quickly.
The K52s are pretty decent for the price. They're a little too dull sounding for critical applications but for tracking that's not a bad thing. They're comfortable and you can use them for a decent amount of time without ear fatigue setting in.
But really, it's mostly about the price.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Thu May 30, 2019 9:54 am

I bought some inexpensive Monoprice headphones for tracking that sound pretty good, are quite inexpensive, hold tight, and have removable cables.
https://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id= ... 1&format=2

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Thu May 30, 2019 6:21 pm

drumsound wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 9:54 am
I bought some inexpensive Monoprice headphones for tracking that sound pretty good, are quite inexpensive, hold tight, and have removable cables.
I have a set of these...they aren't bad, much rather let someone use these than my Ultrasones...
I got the red ear cushions 8)

digitaldrummer
ghost haunting audio students

Post by digitaldrummer » Fri May 31, 2019 7:25 am

I have a pair of "Musician's Gear" from MF that look an awful lot like those Monoprice phones.

I've got a pair of these too ("More Me"):

https://vintageking.com/moreme-deluxe-headphones

they are loud, but not really that great sounding. Not a lot of low-end. To me, the "loud" is lots of mids so these work for guitar players and sometimes a vocalist (if tracking all together). Affordable and have held up ok. I have some Sennheiser HD202 that used to sell for ~ $20 - $30. they sound pretty good but very thin cords. I have a bunch of different types of headphones so that if someone is not comfortable or not hearing what they want, I have them try a different pair. usually works.
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Fri May 31, 2019 11:17 am

I just tell 'em to bring their own.

If they don't, I might give 'em a old pair of Magnavox that seem top weigh like 10 lbs., at least to try at first.

They bring their own the next time.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

frans_13
takin' a dinner break

Post by frans_13 » Sun Jun 02, 2019 10:12 am

I found the Vic Firth headphones rather flimsy when one drummer brought his pair. No wonder they break easily. Tried out the Monoprice headphones because i was curious - don't sound good, not even for the money, cheap plastic, breaking easy. The extreme isolation headphones are so-so, the upper model has some isolation but doesn't sound like much, at least they are sturdy - got mine a decade ago and they still survive. I can recommend the Superlux headphones from Taiwan, they are manufacturing for AKG, so they have learnt their stuff. (funny then that all the companies that push their cheaper manufacturing in china or somewhere later complain that the people there learn how to manufacture the stuff... how about they kept their manufacturing in their home countries? Don't they see the irony?)
I got a dozend Beyer headphones, the ATH50Ms, the extreme isolation , the Heil Sound headphones and some more and the Superlux 681, 660, 668 - not bad for the money, nice features like a cable that's pulled out rather than torn if somebody (usually me) trips over the cable and if they finally die it doesn't break the bank. Around 30-40 Euros and usable.
Due to luck and circumstances i am offering a limited run of Beyerdynamic M380 clones with unused Beyer capsules. PM me for info.

roscoenyc
carpal tunnel

Post by roscoenyc » Mon Jun 03, 2019 5:51 am

Recycled_Brains wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 1:24 pm
I like these and the less expensive ATH-M40's also.
They now come with 2 detachable cables (one coiled, one straight) which seem to head off the cable breaking.

I like them a lot. Clients like them too.

Magnetic Services
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Magnetic Services » Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:32 am

roscoenyc wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 5:51 am
Recycled_Brains wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 1:24 pm
I like these and the less expensive ATH-M40's also.
They now come with 2 detachable cables (one coiled, one straight) which seem to head off the cable breaking.

I like them a lot. Clients like them too.
Same. Can't remember if I have the M40s or M30s for clients, but I like to know that they're hearing *roughly* the same thing as me in my M50Xs.

I also hang on to a couple pairs of good ol' "Extreme Isolation" cans, for when extreme isolation is needed.

nicholasdover
alignin' 24-trk

Post by nicholasdover » Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:18 pm

I went for a set AKG K52's too (price, not too shameful sound) but once I've sorted levels and sounds out at my end I give my DT770's to the most important person in the band, or the "most likely to be a dick" person in the band if there's a clear winner of that prize, and I listen in whatever's left over...

eh91311
buyin' a studio

Post by eh91311 » Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:11 am

drumsound wrote:
I have a few pairs of the ones that Tony uses. I like these Monoprice Modern Retro headphones a bit more:
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=16150

They take a bit of power to drive but they have a good low-end response and seal better to the ears. Either one of these Monoprice headphones are great buys and work well for tracking (not mixing).

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:08 pm

eh91311 wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:11 am
drumsound wrote:
I have a few pairs of the ones that Tony uses. I like these Monoprice Modern Retro headphones a bit more:

They take a bit of power to drive but they have a good low-end response and seal better to the ears. Either one of these Monoprice headphones are great buys and work well for tracking (not mixing).
Those look pretty cool, too. I've gone through a lot of $50-75 headphones, it nice to find usable things cheaper. Sometimes they get so beat up. I think the isolation on even the one's I bought are really good.

eh91311
buyin' a studio

Post by eh91311 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:38 am

drumsound wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:08 pm
eh91311 wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:11 am
drumsound wrote:

Those look pretty cool, too. I've gone through a lot of $50-75 headphones, it nice to find usable things cheaper. Sometimes they get so beat up. I think the isolation on even the one's I bought are really good.
The best things about the Monoprice headphones you prefer are the detachable cable and that you can buy replacement ear pads for them. The Modern Retro ones don't have either of these 2 features.

Buying expensive ($100+) tracking headphones doesn't make sense when these Monoprice cans are relatively inexpensive and sound fine.