Listening to mixes in the car...

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

digitaldrummer
ghost haunting audio students

Listening to mixes in the car...

Post by digitaldrummer » Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:54 am

I'm sure we all do it. and it takes a while to get used to your car's sound with and without variables like road noise, passengers, air conditioning running at full blast... but since I'm going to be in the car anyway, I'm going to listen to something.

Anyway, I listen to mixes these days that are MP3's (encoded from Pro Tools 2018) on a USB stick. I used to burn CDs for everything but I feel like a 192Kbps (or higher resolution) gives me most of what I need. All those CD-R's are bad for the environment anyway. Eventually I will burn a CD if that's the final product media.

what are y'all doing? Anyone still really hate MP3's or did we get past that?

Mike
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

markjazzbassist
tinnitus

Re: Listening to mixes in the car...

Post by markjazzbassist » Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:06 am

yeah i do it too, depends on which car, i'm cheap so i have old cars most just have CD players no USB. i also listen to mixes on my home stereo. it's a nice 70's reciever and speakers (yamaha ns 5). those 2 plus listening on headphones helps to get a better all around mix.

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:52 am

I put mixes on google drive (in 320kbps mp3 format) and stream over Bluetooth to my car stereo (delightful new phone has no aux out...), all of which adds its own layer of bullshit. Still, I assume this is the way most people listen to music in their car, (at least over Bluetooth, not over google drive), so it’s all part of the process of checking the car mix. I just have the factory speakers in my car so obviously not great sound, and i try a couple EQ presets in my car stereo, but again not sure the average person does much beyond the factory setup either.

jimjazzdad
takin' a dinner break

Post by jimjazzdad » Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:19 am

.flac or .wav files here - just say no to mp3 :twisted:
I record mostly classical music and I really don't like the sound of mp3 (although a lot of my younger clients ask for delivery in that format). I usually burn a test CD and run that around to the car, the living room stereo and the stereo on the boat ... and I usually archive or do dropbox in flac.
Jim Legere
Halifax, NS
Canada