gadgetlabs wavepro drivers for Windows 10???

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

ubertar
ears didn't survive the freeze

gadgetlabs wavepro drivers for Windows 10???

Post by ubertar » Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:55 am

I've finally decided to join the 21st century (in part) by getting a Win 10 computer. I've been on XP since the late 20th C. I'd like to bring my gadgetlabs cards along for the ride. For a long time there was a group of people, mainly a guy called "Mostek" who wrote new drivers for each new operating system. I've found a driver that's meant for "Win 7 and up" and followed the instructions but the driver won't install. Is there another version available (this one is 4.2.0.2) or is it a lost cause?

Magnetic Services
suffering 'studio suck'

Re: gadgetlabs wavepro drivers for Windows 10???

Post by Magnetic Services » Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:24 am

You could check their amazingly helpful website, which consists of a single line of white text on a red background:

https://www.gadgetlabs.com/

ubertar

Post by ubertar » Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:55 am

They went out of business around 2000, so I'm surprised there's a website at all. A core group of people liked these enough that they kept writing drivers for new operating systems well after that. The most recent I was able to find says it's for "Windows 7 and up" but it looks like it came out just before Win 10 was released. I've followed all the steps to install but the last one won't complete.

What's a reasonably priced, good quality interface with 8 inputs for Win 10? Used is fine (or better, if it will get me a better quality unit for the same $). It's all new to me, as I haven't been shopping for a sound card since the 20th century.

If I can just get a driver that works, I'm happy to keep using the gadgetlabs. It does what I need and works well.

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:56 am

Well may I suggest a new audio interface?

Focusrite.
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

ubertar

Post by ubertar » Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:05 am

Nick Sevilla wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:56 am

Focusrite.
Which model? Can a good used one be found under a couple hundred bucks? I'm looking for 8 inputs.

ubertar

Post by ubertar » Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:13 pm

I was able to find a fix and use drivers v. 4.2.0.3
Just had to disable driver signing requirements.
Gadgetlabs lives on!!!!
up and running

In case anyone is searching for the drivers and finds this thread, here's the link to the drivers:
https://bitbucket.org/antoinedeschenes/ ... downloads/

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:18 pm

ubertar wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:05 am
Nick Sevilla wrote:

Focusrite.
Which model? Can a good used one be found under a couple hundred bucks? I'm looking for 8 inputs.
They have a bunch. Just search on their website to see if they have the drivers you need for a particular model, all of them are great,
and their drivers are good.

darjama
tinnitus

Post by darjama » Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:45 pm

I'm quite happy with the Focusrite clarett USB. The mic pres are surprisingly good for the price, and I can do very low latency as long as I'm not going too crazy with plugins. Not bad for a 6-year old laptop. I had the Focusrite scarlett before hand and was less impressed with the sound quality, though the routing was a little more flexible.
Nick Sevilla wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:18 pm
ubertar wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:05 am
Nick Sevilla wrote:

Focusrite.
They have a bunch. Just search on their website to see if they have the drivers you need for a particular model, all of them are great,
and their drivers are good.

E-money
pushin' record

Post by E-money » Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:29 pm

ubertar wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:13 pm
I was able to find a fix and use drivers v. 4.2.0.3
Just had to disable driver signing requirements.
Gadgetlabs lives on!!!!
up and running

In case anyone is searching for the drivers and finds this thread, here's the link to the drivers:
https://bitbucket.org/antoinedeschenes/ ... downloads/
That's pretty damn cool that somebody is still maintaining drivers for these cards all these years after the company folded.
"Politics are like sports, where all the teams suck"

ubertar

Post by ubertar » Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:03 pm

I had a hellish time trying to get Windows 10 to chill out about the unsigned drivers. Test mode worked for installing, but every time I'd reboot it would complain about verification. Even putting it in permanent test mode didn't work. Finally the only thing that worked was installing a program written specifically to get around that problem by pseudo-signing the drivers.

Now MME and WDM work fine, but in ASIO it will only let me use two channels at a time. I don't suppose that matters too much.

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:23 pm

ubertar wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:03 pm
I had a hellish time trying to get Windows 10 to chill out about the unsigned drivers. Test mode worked for installing, but every time I'd reboot it would complain about verification. Even putting it in permanent test mode didn't work. Finally the only thing that worked was installing a program written specifically to get around that problem by pseudo-signing the drivers.

Now MME and WDM work fine, but in ASIO it will only let me use two channels at a time. I don't suppose that matters too much.
Yep. The Eternal Struggle to do any kind of Art on Windows. The last PC with Winblows I used, was a self made custom job running Nuendo 1.5.1, under Windows 2K Professional. Built it in 2001, ran Motu PCI interfaces, 56 channels, to record tours with. Ran very well all over South America and the States.

It took three weeks to set it up correctly. I will never EVER do that again.

Thankfully, this one still boots up and runs perfectly. No networking, no updates, no online ever, but boy does it work. The best thing it has on there is "Cartman's Authoritah" which entertains the troops to no end. And for that, I keep the thing.

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:44 am

Nick Sevilla wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:23 pm
The Eternal Struggle to do any kind of Art on Windows.
Hahahahahaha. It's really no problem at all. I've been doing it without any struggle for over 20 years.

ubertar

Post by ubertar » Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:48 pm

#$%ing Microsoft! Everything was working fine, then I booted up, opened my DAW, and couldn't record. I'm seeing signal with the monitor function on, but it won't let me record, saying there's a problem with the sound card. When I go into device manager, it turns out the gadgetlabs drivers i installed have been replaced by "audio endpoint". It says the device is functioning properly, but it ain't true. The "roll back drivers" option is grayed out, and if I try to update the drivers it tells me what's it's got now are the best drivers available. Can I override this? What a pain in the ass.

darjama
tinnitus

Post by darjama » Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:10 pm

Try disabling the automatic driver update, then you should be able to uninstall and reinstall your preferred driver:

https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/disa ... windows-10

ubertar

Post by ubertar » Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:29 am

Thanks darjama. I tried that, but no luck. Oddly, under Device Manager, the card is listed under two categories, with different info:
under Audio Inputs and Outputs, it lists the driver provider as Microsoft, version 10.0.17763.1; detals: audio endpoint.
under Sound, video and game controllers, it's listed as manufacturer: gadgetlabs; driver provider: gadget labs love team; driver version: 4.2.0.3, which is what it should be. In Audio Inputs and Outputs, it lists each channel separately. In Sound controllers, it lists the card as a whole. I disabled the A I and O version, with no change in results.

I downloaded the evaluation version of Reaper, and ASIO works, but only two channels, and WDM and MME don't work. In Samplitude I've found that it will let me record in WDM on multiple channels but only if the output is set to the computer's built-in card. If I try to use the GL card as output it gives me an error message. In Windows media player, the GL card works fine as output.

I tried setting Samplitude to compatibility mode for Win8, then Win7. That didn't help. A couple of the GL drivers are exe, so I tried them in compatibility mode too, to no avail.

Does the eval version of Reaper limit you to two input channels? If so, maybe buying it will let me keep using the card, in ASIO, with all channels? I've been using Samplitude for so long, I'd rather not switch over, but I would really like to find something that works. So frustrating that it was working ok before. I don't understand what changed or how to change it back.