Oktava mk 012 hypercardioid capsules

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Brett Siler
moves faders with mind

Oktava mk 012 hypercardioid capsules

Post by Brett Siler » Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:32 pm

I really love these mics on drums, particularly snare and toms. I just have the stock cardioid capsules they come with but I’ve been thinking about purchasing the black hypercardiod capsules to reduce cymbal bleed. Anyone have experience with them? Are they significantly different in their rejection or should save my money?

drumsound
zen recordist

Re: Oktava mk 012 hypercardioid capsules

Post by drumsound » Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:51 pm

I'm pretty sure Chris Garges uses the Hyper caps on toms A LOT. Joel Hamilton and a bunch of the Brooklyn guy were into them on toms, I believe with the hyper caps. I have all three caps, but don't use the hypers much for anything. I should try one on snare sometime.

Brett Siler
moves faders with mind

Post by Brett Siler » Sat Jul 20, 2019 3:14 pm

The bleed is totally manageable but if it’s more manageable with the hypercardioid caps then I may drop some money.

I started using it on snare because I saw a video of Albini saying he using one about 50% of the time. That was certainly enough to sell me on it!

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Sun Jul 21, 2019 12:09 pm

double post
Last edited by I'm Painting Again on Sun Jul 21, 2019 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Sun Jul 21, 2019 12:09 pm

I'm Painting Again wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 12:09 pm
they tighten and loosen

the direct sound gets more focused to what you point it at for sure so they need more precise positioning

the rear lobe of the pattern will pick up a lil too (like a lopsided figure of eight) so again more finicky with positioning and phase relationships

they sound a lil less phat too in general

the omni caps I use more - the most natural of the three main ones for the 012 imho

overall they do sound the tightest and if you want tight - worth a try - buy try and send back if they don't do it for ya

Brett Siler
moves faders with mind

Post by Brett Siler » Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:24 pm

Thanks for the reply! Hmmm if they sound less fat I may not like it, that my favorite part. Especially on toms! You are right I could try and buy from a place that has a good return policy in case I’m not feeling it.

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:11 am

you'll possibly want the barrel pads too if you don't have em already

I don't think the less phat issue will not be too much of a problem with some eq

you will prob have to point the null (side in hyper) away from the cymbals rather than the back (like in the cardio) - and that is kind of a PITA

and if you're clipping them to the rims rather than individual stands with capacitor mics - I feel like you get more "handling" noise as well

so if you ty it out listen for that stuff

I'm a 100% dynamics on toms person - been using the cheap Sennheiser e609 hypercardiod dynamics and I like them on my smaller sized drums very much

LDC?MDC is really great for that prog or big rock toms too - I believe there's a couple LDC/MDC caps for 012 if you didn't see them

Brett Siler
moves faders with mind

Post by Brett Siler » Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:42 pm

I have the -10db pads. The are crucial for close micing drums. Thanks for talking a little in depth about the difference between the hyper and cardioid capsules.

I've thought about checking out the e609's. They would be great for my mobile rig because of the clips. I have some Heil PR-28's which are marketed as tom mics, but I don't like them for that. Too much midrange, no lowend, decent attack though.

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:27 am

Brett Siler wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:42 pm
I have the -10db pads. The are crucial for close micing drums. Thanks for talking a little in depth about the difference between the hyper and cardioid capsules.

I've thought about checking out the e609's. They would be great for my mobile rig because of the clips. I have some Heil PR-28's which are marketed as tom mics, but I don't like them for that. Too much midrange, no lowend, decent attack though.
you might not like the e609 then they're more about midrange and attack and tightness than booming bass

I feel like I get the lows I like however I use them on smaller sized jazz drums than typical rock kit

totally different than condenser toms though - they're almost ribbon like in darkness - not nearly approaching the air and detail

they're also side address and lollipop style so they aren't the best form factor for tom toms either

have you tried the inexpensive shure and AT LDC's on toms ?

those might give you the best of everything and you can work backward and eq it down to whatever you like at least

Kim 27 etc. killer on toms imho

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:28 am

I'm Painting Again wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:27 am
Brett Siler wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:42 pm

you might not like the e609 then they're more about midrange and attack and tightness than booming bass

I feel like I get the lows I like however I use them on smaller sized jazz drums than typical rock kit

totally different than condenser toms though - they're almost ribbon like in darkness - not nearly approaching the air and detail

they're also side address and lollipop style so they aren't the best form factor for tom toms either

have you tried the inexpensive shure and AT LDC's on toms ?

those might give you the best of everything and you can work backward and eq it down to whatever you like at least

KSM 27 etc. killer on toms imho

Brett Siler
moves faders with mind

Post by Brett Siler » Tue Jul 30, 2019 7:26 pm

Ah my bad I was thinking of the Sennheiser 604s that have the drum clips. People really seem to dig them on toms. I’m not anti-dynamic by any means.

I’ve tried Shure 98s and Audio Technica atm450. The 98s are great. Just being able to put the anywhere rules. The atm450s were ok. I need to really find where those shine.. everything I’ve tried them on so far has just been ok. Not bad, but not blown away...

12 gauge blue mics actually rule on toms! Big lowend! They pic up a lot of spill though. I want to test them more on toms though.

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:31 pm

It's been a long time since I've done a comparison, but from my recollection, the bleed control is noticeable with the hyper caps. Once I got a few of those, I just started using them on toms all the time until the ATM 450s came out. The ease of placing the 450s around cymbals made them more useful on some sessions, although I prefer the sound of the MC012s. A few years ago, I got three E22Ss, so that has kind of reduced my useage of either of the other mics on toms, although I still switch things up from time to time. (For example, I'll be starting with M88s this weekend.) But I've been VERY happy with MC012s in hypercardioid on toms for many years. And I don't find them less "fat-sounding" than regular cardioid caps at all. In fact, they're a little more forgiving in positioning for some reason. Just seems like I was futzing with floor tom mic positioning less with the hyper caps.

Hope this helps!

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC