Latest gear you've acquired.....

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

standup
re-cappin' neve

Re: Latest gear you've acquired.....

Post by standup » Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:03 pm

Received an M49 clone from Barbaric Amplification. Did claves and OH for congas right after I got it, then a quick demo for a song I wrote a couple days later.

This is one take, one mic (the M49). Maybe a little overcompressed, I tried to get peaks with a fast FET compressor and do a few dB reduction with Warm WA2A, but may have overdone it.

https://soundcloud.com/ericagner13/yoursecrets

markjazzbassist
tinnitus

Post by markjazzbassist » Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:33 am

got a total sleeper mic preamp. urei 560 feedback supressor. it is what is it's namesake, but also has a Mic Preamp built in (feedback suppression can be turned off BTW) with Transformer In/Out and it's the input tranny from an 1176. Very clean clear sounding preamp with a touch of color. sounds nice on electric piano to get a little of that chime in. gain control on the back, mic and line input, mic and line output. super cheap too.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:18 pm

Just got a Avid Eleven Rack for a great price.

I will always prefer my amps, and I love my pedals, but this thing is fun! And quick; the presets are very useable, and there's a lot.

If anybody gots some tips on using it, please give 'em up.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:37 pm

Brand new MacBook Pro 15".

This thing has 16 CPU cores. DAMN.

Now, to get all artisanal and fancy with the tons of stupid dongle adapters I will have to get to make my obsolete
stuff connect to it. LOL what have I done to myself?
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

4theboids
audio school

Post by 4theboids » Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:33 am

Alesis V25 midi keyboard, has come in real handy for my latest batch of recordings.

roscoenyc
carpal tunnel

Post by roscoenyc » Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:14 am

Swart Amps decided to make a ribbon mic for recording guitar speakers.
It's handmade in Wilmington, DE.
I ordered one and got it.
Really nice piece.
Used it on a guitar cabinet and a piano yesterday at the studio and really liked it a lot.
They are still running a $100 off introductory offer.
http://swartamps.com/swart_R-2_ribbon_microphone.htm

ubertar
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by ubertar » Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:03 am

Clever idea to use a pedal enclosure as a mic enclosure, though I have to wonder if it would sound better if the opening in front of the ribbon weren't partially blocked. It's definitely easier (and cheaper) to drill round holes than cut a larger opening. I wouldn't think the reflections caused by a solid, rectangular case would be ideal either. Some vintage mics are more or less rectangular, but they tend to be well-vented all around, not solid. But all of this is moot if it sounds great. It definitely looks cool.

roscoenyc
carpal tunnel

Post by roscoenyc » Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:40 am

ubertar wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:03 am
Clever idea to use a pedal enclosure as a mic enclosure, though I have to wonder if it would sound better if the opening in front of the ribbon weren't partially blocked. It's definitely easier (and cheaper) to drill round holes than cut a larger opening. I wouldn't think the reflections caused by a solid, rectangular case would be ideal either. Some vintage mics are more or less rectangular, but they tend to be well-vented all around, not solid. But all of this is moot if it sounds great. It definitely looks cool.

I have a lot of ribbons from vintage to new. RCAs, Beyer, Royer, AT, SE.

I get your point on the openings but it does sound really great.

ubertar

Post by ubertar » Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:06 am

roscoenyc wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:40 am
I get your point on the openings but it does sound really great.
Cool. When it comes down to it, that's all that matters.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:33 pm

bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

floid
buyin' a studio

Post by floid » Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:09 pm

Had that same guitar except it was a Leban Cyclone. Slightly different pickup.
Miss that thing.
Village Idiot.

A.David.MacKinnon

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:44 pm

VVV that looks awesome. I'm i huge fan of 60's Japanese pick-ups. Less a fan of the guitars. The pick-ups sound amazing but the guitars are often unplayable. Maybe/hopefully yours is better than mine have been. Either way I'm sure it sounds amazing.
Lately I've been stock piling Japanese pickups and putting them into cheap-ish 80's Korean guitars. The 80's Korean guitars have the opposite problem from the 60's Japanese guitars. They play beautifully but the pick-ups are pretty uninspiring. I've been trying to fix that.
I've got an Anjo Fender Bullet Tele copy with a killer Beltone pickup in the neck and currently have an early Squier Bullet strat with my tech getting a D'Armond installed in the bridge and a Japanese D'Armond knock off put in the neck. Can't wait to get it back.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:11 pm

This was advertised truthfully azza case queen - check out that chrome pickguard.

The neck is great, really thin frets with no wear- very 60's feel.

The pup does sound great, a bit microphonic inna good way. The guitar is very resonant, what is good.

I will say it hadda spare 10 minutes when I rec'd it yesterday, plugged into a 10w. Electar, and jammed for a half hour. :twisted:

(I could mention it were <US$130 shipped, but I don' wanna brag.)
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:19 pm

Guess I can mention a few pedals, recently:
TWA envelope filter - pretty good auto wah, better on guitar than bass, but switchable for each
Aguilar Octamizer - went immediately on my main bass board, knocking off the Meatball
EHX Nano Green Russian Muff - best muff I've heard on bass
Wren&Cuff Pickle Pie - pretty good GR muff with a blend, but the EHX is better on bass (not as smoove) so it'll be for guitar*
Triangle Big Muff: just now got it

*a collateral observation: the W&C can fully cop the EHX, and do tons more, besides. But I like the EHX for a live board better, because it defaults to the sound I want, so tho' it is significantly less flexible, it is much easier to use, what lets me drink more when I play** - It's a science, see. :twisted:

**these was all ordered re a certain band and recording project, and we never got a set drummer, and now one of the guitarists left, so, well, I'll be recording most of it meself (some with anuvver guitarist), and that also lets me drink more when I play. :lol:
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Post by Recycled_Brains » Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:45 am

vvv wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:19 pm
Guess I can mention a few pedals, recently:
TWA envelope filter - pretty good auto wah, better on guitar than bass, but switchable for each
Aguilar Octamizer - went immediately on my main bass board, knocking off the Meatball
EHX Nano Green Russian Muff - best muff I've heard on bass
Wren&Cuff Pickle Pie - pretty good GR muff with a blend, but the EHX is better on bass (not as smoove) so it'll be for guitar*
Triangle Big Muff: just now got it

*a collateral observation: the W&C can fully cop the EHX, and do tons more, besides. But I like the EHX for a live board better, because it defaults to the sound I want, so tho' it is significantly less flexible, it is much easier to use, what lets me drink more when I play** - It's a science, see. :twisted:

**these was all ordered re a certain band and recording project, and we never got a set drummer, and now one of the guitarists left, so, well, I'll be recording most of it meself (some with anuvver guitarist), and that also lets me drink more when I play. :lol:
That nano Green Russian is really sick on bass. I should buy one just for that (never been a huge fan on guitar). Do you find that you're barely moving the sustain control? The time I tracked the band that had it, I couldn't turn that thing higher than like 8:00 before it was way too much. Although, I think the dude had active PUs, so maybe that was a thing. At any rate, sounded realllly good.
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

http://maggotbrainny.bandcamp.com