Apogee Element 24 questions

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

akpasta
alignin' 24-trk

Apogee Element 24 questions

Post by akpasta » Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:54 am

Hey Folks,

I'm considering upgrading from a M-track 2x2 to the Apogee Element 24. All the apogee items come highly recommended from folks I know for recording instruments direct to Logic. I tried running guitars and stuff direct through the m-track 2x2 and it sounds too dry and fake to me.

I have a couple questions.

Are these Apogee pre amps for real? I keep hearing incredible things about them. It's hard to try this stuff though because you can't buy them anywhere with a return policy. Will it really blow my m-track 2x2 out of the water?

Second question, they all run off older thunderbolt cables. My new macbook air has only the newest thunderbolt jack so I'd need an adapter. Will that cause latency issues?

Thanks!

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Re: Apogee Element 24 questions

Post by Nick Sevilla » Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:45 pm

akpasta wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:54 am

...I tried running guitars and stuff direct through the m-track 2x2 and it sounds too dry and fake to me.

Hi,

What are you recording?

Yes, those old M Audio things are not stellar, but not to the point of changing your stuff THAT much. ;)

As far as the Apogee stuff, it is excellent. Just make sure you get enough IO for now and future needs,
before getting stuck with a 2 channel interface.

Adapters will not cause any latency. They are just mechanical connections from one type to another.

Cheers
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.