Searching for Best Studios in Boston, MA and/or Surrounding Locations

Regional activities, relevant news, job openings, studio searches, local beer nights (not a forum to plug the new album you just worked on)

Moderator: drumsound

Mustang Martigan
takin' a dinner break

Searching for Best Studios in Boston, MA and/or Surrounding Locations

Post by Mustang Martigan » Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:06 am

The title basically says it all, well. Now that Fort Apache has been closed for a while (you can see how long I've been outta the recording scene), I'm curious if anyone either from around here, or knowledgeable of studios in the area, can point me in the right direction.

I've been told that Mad Oak and Q-Division are the two top places. I checked out Mad Oak equipment locker and was surprised to not find any of the big three Neumann mics, U47, U67 n U87. They do, however, have the API console that was used on Sabbath's Sabotage album. Not sure how the hardness of that API sound will translate to the blues/rock thing I'm doing tho.

I haven't had the chance to check the Q-Division equipment list yet.

Equipment is only half the battle with this, cuz whoever belongs to the ass sitting in the Console seat plays a HUGE part of in the final result.

Anyways, looking forward to hearing all your suggestions on the matter.

Thanks,
-Adam

cgarges
zen recordist

Re: Searching for Best Studios in Boston, MA and/or Surrounding Locations

Post by cgarges » Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:50 pm

I had a good experience spending a week at Wellspring out in Acton a few years back. It's a funky sort of place-- pretty bohemian and vibey. Not the cleanest, slickest studio I've ever been in, but it was pretty great. Good-sounding, fairly large live room, several isolation options, and (at the time, at least), TWO grand pianos. They also had a pretty great mic selection and a RIDICULOUS amount of cool outboard gear to compliment the perfectly-working Neotek Elite console. Eric (the owner) was totally pleasant and there was ZERO weird vibe about me working there as a freelancer. I remember his rate as being totally fair, too. We checked out some other places around Boston, but Wellspring seemed totally right for the project and we were completely happy. I'd love to work there again sometime if for no other reason than to get lobster mac and cheese at this killer restaurant in Lexington again! And it's right near that cool drum shop that's out there, too.

If you want to do some digging, there are pictures from the session in the photo section of my Facebook page.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

Mustang Martigan
takin' a dinner break

Post by Mustang Martigan » Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:58 am

cgarges wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:50 pm
I had a good experience spending a week at Wellspring out in Acton a few years back.

I'd love to work there again sometime if for no other reason than to get lobster mac and cheese at this killer restaurant in Lexington again! And it's right near that cool drum shop that's out there, too.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC
Why come all the way up here from NC to record? Also, when you say u checked out a few places do you mean like making an appt to take a look around n get n idea of what's going on there?

Oh, and now you've got me wracking my brain on the name of that place w the lobster mac n cheese. Alot of places around here have it, but I'm pretty sure I've been to the one in Lexington a while back.. one of my ex's was from there.

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:13 pm

I was hired to do a cast recording of a musical that was happening up there. We were looking specifically for a place with a good grand piano and decent isolation options. I have a bunch of friends in Boston and knew a bunch of the studios up there and Wellspring seemed like a good fit. I'm also a big gear nut and their compliment was way more than what I needed for the project.

I wish I could remember the name of the restaurant. On our last night there, Eric's band was playing in this place so we went to go see them. The lobster mac was insanely great!

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

lyman
re-cappin' neve

Post by lyman » Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:55 am

I've been away from the scene for a bit, but if Woolly Mammoth in Waltham is still operating I highly recommend talking to Dave Minehan there. He's great.

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:37 pm

Every place mentioned so far would do you great. There's also:

http://www.oddfellowsrecording.com/

http://www.soulshoprecording.com/

http://universalnoisestorage.com/

and if you wanted to come down to Providence (and stop and say hi to me on the way), there's

http://www.machineswithmagnets.com/studio-about