FS: Ampex 440c, mics and Hammond PR-40

*Gear*ed towards individuals who are buying/selling - NOT a place for businesses to post their goods for sale.

Moderators: TapeOpLarry, tomb

Toolshed Soundlab
audio school

FS: Ampex 440c, mics and Hammond PR-40

Post by Toolshed Soundlab » Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:00 am

I have an Ampex 440C 1/2" 4 track tape machine for sale in the Seattle area. It has an AC Capstan Motor - 71/2 & 15 ips.
I’ve installed Balanced input transformers #4580200-01, made custom i/o cabling that will be included and I also have a gently used MRL tape for this machine and lots of one pass tape and empty reels and the complete user and service manuals spiral bound for ease of use.
I acquired it about 5 years ago from a guitar repair client. He had it “restored” by Wayne Gunn at Audio Village but never even opened the crate.
When I got it it was still packed and shrink-wrapped. I have successfully used it for less than 20 hours .
I cannot make any representation other than that due to my limited knowledge. I will not pack and ship it and it is sold as is / where is.
I really like having such a nicely made piece of equipment but would rather see some using it more than I can. I’d also like to see what Mics and preamps I can turn it into as those I use all the time. I have not yet set a price and would accept a reasonable offer from a reasonable person and trades / partial trades are possible ( mics, preamps ). Please contact me for more info if you are interested.

Mics:
AKG 414 B-ULS TL ll - older model with mechanical switching - $750
Sterling Audio / Ocean Way ST 6050 - $350
Neuman 184 - $500
Beyer M500 with Steve Sank DX Mod - $400
AKG 1000 - $100

Hammond PR 40 Tone Cabinet - $350

george@toolshedsoundlab.com