You could try a felt pick ...
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Re: Vocal Mic Bleed

Post by digitaldrummer » Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:07 am

if the felt pick does not work, you could check to make sure the bleed is coming directly into the mic vs reflecting off something. If in a small room, then try placing something deadening around you - like a closet full of clothes, or a mattress up on end, etc. Or you could experiment with something underneath the mic (piece of foam, or piece of moving blanket, etc. to try to give some separation of the guitar/vocal. extra mic stands with shit taped to it might be a good poor man's workaround... I've done it with packing foam before... 8)
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

losthighway
resurrected

Post by losthighway » Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:18 pm

vvv wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 6:54 pm
You could try a felt pick ...
Or your thumb.

Mustang Martigan
takin' a dinner break

Post by Mustang Martigan » Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:58 am

A.David.MacKinnon wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 12:12 pm
Cardioid can be a pretty wide pattern depending on the mic. Fig 8 has the best rejection of any pattern followed by hyper cardioid. The problem with cardioid in this application is that it's null is at the back of the mic. That makes it pretty hard to aim it at your mouth and have the guitar in the null. You might try having the mic pointing straight up and sing across the diaphragm. That would at least get you a bit better rejection of the guitar but it means your voice is off axis which may or may not effect the tone. Experiment with mic position and see what you can get.
Beyond that your choices are to save up for another mic, embrace the bleed or track vocal and guitar separately.
Would the 'back' of the SP1 be the side of the grill where the capsule (or diaphram) isn't picking up sound (excuse my lack of knowledge of the terminology)?

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:19 am

Mustang Martigan wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:58 am
A.David.MacKinnon wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 12:12 pm
Cardioid can be a pretty wide pattern depending on the mic. Fig 8 has the best rejection of any pattern followed by hyper cardioid. The problem with cardioid in this application is that it's null is at the back of the mic. That makes it pretty hard to aim it at your mouth and have the guitar in the null. You might try having the mic pointing straight up and sing across the diaphragm. That would at least get you a bit better rejection of the guitar but it means your voice is off axis which may or may not effect the tone. Experiment with mic position and see what you can get.
Beyond that your choices are to save up for another mic, embrace the bleed or track vocal and guitar separately.
Would the 'back' of the SP1 be the side of the grill where the capsule (or diaphram) isn't picking up sound (excuse my lack of knowledge of the terminology)?
Yes.

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:50 am

there is also these kinds of things...

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-aud ... 2000000000

and nobody says you have to use them straight-up vertically - if you can get it between your mic and guitar without it driving you crazy, it may help.
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:49 am

I can't speak to the efficacy of any kinda shield like listed above, but I know I have seen smaller ones apparently made for the purpose ...

EDIT, here:
https://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-aud ... 9000000000
https://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-aud ... 0000000000
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.