500 series mixer aux send?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

franked
audio school graduate

500 series mixer aux send?

Post by franked » Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:51 pm

Is there a 500 series mixer with ability for aux send? Something like the radial workhorseI guess, but with aux send would be ideal

digitaldrummer
ghost haunting audio students

Re: 500 series mixer aux send?

Post by digitaldrummer » Mon Nov 04, 2019 6:36 am

might need some context to understand what you are trying to accomplish. there are some modules that have parallel inputs (usually 1/4") or outputs (like the EXTC and XAMP 500 modules). and many of the 500 racks can chain modules i.e. preamp->EQ->compressor etc. so what are you trying to do?
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

franked
audio school graduate

Post by franked » Mon Nov 04, 2019 1:55 pm

true mixer functionality but ability to add api pres piecemeal. I could use 500 series api with a cheap Mackie but I don't want the signal going through any crappy circuitry that it doesn't need to.

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:34 pm

Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

joninc
dead but not forgotten

Post by joninc » Mon Nov 04, 2019 6:05 pm

still might be helpful to have more detail... 500 series are missing lots of features of a mixer.

I monitor my converters on a board (soundcraft ghost) which I frequently use the aux send to fx when tracking - space echos... spring reverbs... sans amps.... works absolutely great.

What are you hoping to use the aux sends to do?
the new rules : there are no rules

franked
audio school graduate

Post by franked » Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:45 pm

Im a bedroom artist. I want to sequence everything onto tape or a very good digital recorder. Im not recording bands, not using any daw, but I want a high end sound. Thick, airy, layered. I don't like the modern hermetic Daw sound of today's music at all.. Possibly going to experiment with live sounds as well. Of my own making (automated). I have stuff like an old eventide h910, pedals synths. Amps. Always going to be adding more gear if I can. As needed of course. Id buy a 20k mixer if I could but that isn't happening. I was going to buy a 9 channel auditronics console. But someone got there first sadly. Was prepared to pay 4k

There are things like TK AUDIO MB1 MINI BLENDER. So that might be fine. Just always wanted a mixer. But a great sounding mixer is not cheap

franked
audio school graduate

Post by franked » Tue Nov 05, 2019 12:23 pm

Just looked at the Mana Modular. Appears to be abandoned. That would have been something I would buy

franked
audio school graduate

Post by franked » Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:01 pm

Im looking at the ssl x-desk

Can you hook up a 500 rack with the d-sub connector? Is that how it works? So you get all your external 500 series preamps in a neat little d-sub connection? Maybe I should email the company.

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Post by Recycled_Brains » Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:16 pm

Purple Audio racks have that ability. Sweet Ten + summing mixer + fader pack, etc... Could piece it together.

Those empty consoles are so stupidly expensive. I can't wrap my head around that as an investment. I'd rather just commit to one thing.
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

http://maggotbrainny.bandcamp.com

franked
audio school graduate

Post by franked » Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:30 pm

used x-desk could be had for 2k, plus 500 for a rack with d-sub connection. You can get great pres for 500 or less. Considering what is out there. Its kind of affordable. Unless Im missing something. I still don't understand the d-sub connection and whether it would work