Cheap marshall clone

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

standup
re-cappin' neve

Cheap marshall clone

Post by standup » Fri Oct 25, 2019 6:40 pm

I don't have any guitar amps right now over 20 watts. I gig with an 18-20 watt amp, it's fine.

I have a Vox AC4 that's really fun to play, but now I'm going to fill it's spot with this:
https://reverb.com/item/28685997-assemb ... -on-tmb-18

$240 for a Marshall head clone? This can't be good. But I ordered it anyway. "Hand wired in China". Switchable power output, can go down to 4 watts. Sounds ideal for recording. I'm going to pair it up with a 1x12 Cannabis Rex and see how it sounds.

I'm very much a Fender guy. The AC4 was my nod to snotty tones.

But the Marshall clone will be the new snotty.

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Re: Cheap marshall clone

Post by kslight » Fri Oct 25, 2019 7:04 pm

No tubes included?

standup
re-cappin' neve

Post by standup » Fri Oct 25, 2019 7:15 pm

If they were including tubes I'd probably replace them right away anyway, so I don't see that as a big drawback.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Fri Oct 25, 2019 7:44 pm

It looks like it would be pretty useful. There are tons of tube sources. Let us know if you bite the bullet.

standup
re-cappin' neve

Post by standup » Fri Oct 25, 2019 8:05 pm

Well I bit that bullet. I have no idea how long shipping from China will take.

Ordered a couple of Russian EL84s, considering some russian "Gold Lion" 12ax7s, not going for any vintage tubes on this particular thing.

We'll see. I'll let y'all know next month or around Christmas how it sounds.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:31 pm

Do amember: "·Working voltage: 230 V or 110 V( Inform us during order)"
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

Stegner
audio school

Post by Stegner » Sat Oct 26, 2019 12:30 am

Were these Chinese clones properly tested by anyone btw?

digitaldrummer
ghost haunting audio students

Post by digitaldrummer » Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:19 pm

"The only thing KLDguitar did these fifteen years : Produce high quality amps at affordable price, help the more people realizing their musical dream"

see? no electrocutions!
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

permanent hearing damage
re-cappin' neve

Post by permanent hearing damage » Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:05 am

at that pricepoint, i'd be dubious. for that kinda $$, i'd say you're better off getting a tiny terror - those things are great for the studio. simple controls on them is a big plus, too.

quite a bit pricier, but you can get a Fryette (or Fryette era VHT) for dirt cheap, considering what they deliver. Really undervalued. I got a Deliverance 60 for $800.

markjazzbassist
tinnitus

Post by markjazzbassist » Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:14 am

permanent hearing damage wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:05 am
at that pricepoint, i'd be dubious. for that kinda $$, i'd say you're better off getting a tiny terror - those things are great for the studio. simple controls on them is a big plus, too.

quite a bit pricier, but you can get a Fryette (or Fryette era VHT) for dirt cheap, considering what they deliver. Really undervalued. I got a Deliverance 60 for $800.
yeah those little lunchbox amps from vox, traynor and orange are amazing tones and sounds for cheap. great studio amps. plus i love that they aren't combos, you can use any cab, very versatile.

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:27 am

permanent hearing damage wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:05 am

Right, especially after tubes are bought it’s really not far from a used name brand amp or even Bugera (ie: Behringer) high gain territory.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:43 am

I have a Tiny terror but it sounds nothing like a Marshall, unless you use a Marshall-type pedal ...

That said, awesome recording and practice amp and even cool for bass.

But you can't really get up over a medium-volume drummer; for some reason my ProJr. is much louder, even vs. the TT plugged into the PJr cab.

Was i looking for a cheap practice/small gig amp, I think I'd look at this (US$200 on sale, hmmm ...):

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=611815
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

Papanate
audio school graduate

Post by Papanate » Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:34 pm

standup wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 6:40 pm
I don't have any guitar amps right now over 20 watts. I gig with an 18-20 watt amp, it's fine.

I have a Vox AC4 that's really fun to play, but now I'm going to fill it's spot with this:
https://reverb.com/item/28685997-assemb ... -on-tmb-18

$240 for a Marshall head clone? This can't be good. But I ordered it anyway. "Hand wired in China". Switchable power output, can go down to 4 watts. Sounds ideal for recording. I'm going to pair it up with a 1x12 Cannabis Rex and see how it sounds.

I'm very much a Fender guy. The AC4 was my nod to snotty tones.

But the Marshall clone will be the new snotty.
A couple of things about this amp - it's not a Marshall Clone - it has the smaller EL84 tubes - and you are going to need to spend about $120 more as the tubes are not included. I think The Marshall Class 5 scratches that Marshall Itch.

standup
re-cappin' neve

Post by standup » Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:47 am

Papanate wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:34 pm

A couple of things about this amp - it's not a Marshall Clone - it has the smaller EL84 tubes - and you are going to need to spend about $120 more as the tubes are not included. I think The Marshall Class 5 scratches that Marshall Itch.
It's a clone, the builder says, of a TMB Marshall. So you had the 1974 amp with a tremolo channel, and people replaced the tremolo with a Treble-Middle-Bass EQ. That's what this is a clone of. But it has a sub-bass and presence EQ, a master gain, pentode/triode switch, 18/9/4 watts power switch, and a XLR direct out that I haven't tried yet. I doubt any actual Marshall had those features.

The 1974 was powered by a pair of el84s. So it is, in theory a Marshall clone.

I've had it for a week or so, it sounds good to my ear. Smooth gain in pentode mode, a little more raspy and trashy in triode mode. I think it will work. I don't have an actual Marshall of any vintage here, so whether it sounds as good as the real thing I don't know. But I think the sound quality is on par with my vintage Fender tube amp. It doesn't sound cheap, even if it was.

The circuit board looks fairly tidy (I've seen far worse in vintage US-made amps). Looks like real components that a tech could test, replace, or upgrade.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rqptcppemgr0f ... 1.JPG?dl=0

asterisk
audio school

Post by asterisk » Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:31 am

That is shockingly tidy. For that price I thought you'd be getting a real dog in terms of the wiring. So that's pretty cool.

I can't see the picture so well, though, and I'm wondering: is it a PCB laid out to mimic the look and style of turret board construction? Or is a PCB drilled for turrets? I can't see if there are turrets or not on that picture.