Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

TapeOpLarry
TapeOp Admin
TapeOp Admin

Romancing The (bad) Past

Post by TapeOpLarry » Fri Nov 15, 2019 5:00 pm

Hey all,
I'm currently mixing archival music from the early-mid 70's. It's totally awesome, and some aspects would leave you stunned in how much commitment and foresight was involved, how good the players were, and how well most tracks sound. But man, dealing with a live concert where one of the most important mics is a tube mic with major issues and a tube going bad (and a bunch of room mics all fail at one point!), I can see why engineer folks back then were ready to embrace phantom powered mics and less intermittent gear. Especially on a remote recoding gig! We spend a lot of time researching the gear used in the past and getting all excited about it, but I dunno, part of me is pretty happy with the way things are now. I guess this is me after 40 hours in iZotope RX.... Stop romancing the past, at least be selective and not stupid.

(yes, I know this sounds like an End Rant from Tape Op.)
Larry Crane, Editor/Founder Tape Op Magazine
please visit www.tapeop.com for contact information
(do not send private messages via this board!)
www.larry-crane.com

vvv
zen recordist

Re: Romancing The (bad) Past

Post by vvv » Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:04 pm

:worthy: for yer patience.

But I gotta admit, sounds kinda fun, too. :lol:

And yeah, like a end rant. 8)
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:59 pm

Live recordings are a unique experience, I'd hate to add old intermittent tube mics and tape deck to it. Those cats were much braver than I!

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Sat Nov 16, 2019 5:06 am

drumsound wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:59 pm
Live recordings are a unique experience, I'd hate to add old intermittent tube mics and tape deck to it. Those cats were much braver than I!
Aww man I’ve done some live shows to Tascam 388, turned out way cool. As it happens, this actually can be more reliable than doing a hard disk recording sometimes, because you’re not subject to vibrations and computer glitches.

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Sat Nov 16, 2019 5:08 am

drumsound wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:59 pm
Agreed. I do a few live sessions a year and it’s always terrifying. Even with modern, mostly reliable gear that has been checked and double checked something always fails at the worst possible time.
Even when I feel like the stars aligned and everything went perfectly I’ll go listen to Sinatra At The Sands and then feel like a hack.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:01 am

kslight wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 5:06 am

Aww man I’ve done some live shows to Tascam 388, turned out way cool. As it happens, this actually can be more reliable than doing a hard disk recording sometimes, because you’re not subject to vibrations and computer glitches.
Sweet. I 388 in a club. You must have really been the envy of all the bearded hipsters!
A.David.MacKinnon wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 5:08 am

Agreed. I do a few live sessions a year and it’s always terrifying. Even with modern, mostly reliable gear that has been checked and double checked something always fails at the worst possible time.
Even when I feel like the stars aligned and everything went perfectly I’ll go listen to Sinatra At The Sands and then feel like a hack.
Yeah, that's a pretty high bar.

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:10 am

drumsound wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:01 am
A.David.MacKinnon wrote:

Recorded on 4 tracks and two of those are for the vocal. It's crazy.

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Sat Nov 16, 2019 2:52 pm

drumsound wrote:
kslight wrote:

Sweet. I 388 in a club. You must have really been the envy of all the bearded hipsters!
A.David.MacKinnon wrote:

A beardless hipster wanted to buy it from me lol. :alien:

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:38 am

kslight wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 2:52 pm
drumsound wrote:
kslight wrote:

A.David.MacKinnon wrote:

A beardless hipster wanted to buy it from me lol. :alien:
I'm not surprised!