How long does it take you to mix?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

michaelkerchner
ass engineer

How long does it take you to mix?

Post by michaelkerchner » Fri Dec 06, 2019 3:45 pm

Nothin crazy, not 1000 tracks, not including editing and clean up.

I work with mostly rock/ punk/ metal bands and I would say when all is said and done about 2-3 hours per song.

I work a hybrid set up. Cubase our into a console and racks of outboard. All automation in the box.

I’m just curious about others
sounds good, compress it
@thedarkchurchrecording

vvv
zen recordist

Re: How long does it take you to mix?

Post by vvv » Fri Dec 06, 2019 4:24 pm

Sounds about right to me, what does mostly <24 tracks ITB of guitar rock and sometimes also sorta '80's stuff (lotsa MIDI and keys, some horns).

But the editing, that's another cuppla hours, easy.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:19 pm

Average, about 8-10 hours for the first song, then 6-8 hours for each one afterward.

The first song always take longer, when doing an album, because we have to decide abou the overall tonality of each instrument,
IF the album is going to be consistent instrument-wise across the whole thing. If not, then each song will take as long as if it were a single,
or not at all related to the rest of the album.
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:38 pm

On average I'm around 4 hours a song for rock type songs. Acoustic things a a lot less. Some jazz things come together more quickly.

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Sat Dec 07, 2019 8:27 am

I'm also about 3-4 hours for rock mixes.
Lately I've been trying something where I put up three or four static mixes really quickly like 15-20 mins each. Then I'll pick my favorite parts from each and make a composite. After that I may do some automation but frequently switching between mixes for different parts of the song gives you enough movement.

michaelkerchner
ass engineer

Post by michaelkerchner » Sat Dec 07, 2019 1:12 pm

A.David.MacKinnon wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 8:27 am
Lately I've been trying something where I put up three or four static mixes really quickly like 15-20 mins each. Then I'll pick my favorite parts from each and make a composite. After that I may do some automation but frequently switching between mixes for different parts of the song gives you enough movement.
Damn, that’s an interesting go about it. I might give that a rip
sounds good, compress it
@thedarkchurchrecording

TapeOpLarry
TapeOp Admin
TapeOp Admin

Post by TapeOpLarry » Sat Dec 07, 2019 4:40 pm

1 hour to 1.5 days. Seriously.
Larry Crane, Editor/Founder Tape Op Magazine
please visit www.tapeop.com for contact information
(do not send private messages via this board!)
www.larry-crane.com

A.David.MacKinnon

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:25 am

michaelkerchner wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 1:12 pm
A.David.MacKinnon wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 8:27 am
Damn, that’s an interesting go about it. I might give that a rip
The first mix takes longer because I'm working out the eq and general treatment. After that you can put up different balances really quick.
I'd love to take credit but I think it's a Glynn John's thing.

joninc
dead but not forgotten

Post by joninc » Sun Dec 08, 2019 4:31 pm

Editing isn't part of mixing for me - it should be done before as much as possible to allow the mix process to be more creative - get all the nuts and bots stuff done first.

I'll spend an hour on each song to rough in and get routing and general balances. Also to get an overview of the project (assuming I didn't record it). Then I can come back to it with fresh ears and be more playful and creative. I might make up some channel strips that I can recall for that particular vocalist or bassist or whatever...

Denser rock stuff is always harder for me and takes more time to get right - but on average 5 ish hours a song for medium band production. Longer for more densely layered and less for simpler/sparser recordings.
the new rules : there are no rules

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Mon Dec 09, 2019 7:20 am

joninc wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 4:31 pm
Editing isn't part of mixing for me - it should be done before as much as possible to allow the mix process to be more creative - get all the nuts and bots stuff done first.

i agree, however these days, I almost never get a fully edited multi track. The artists I work with at least, are firmly in the "let's throw things at it and see what sticks" camp, so they end up having overdubs playing throughout the track from top to bottom, two or three "optional" instruments in sections, etc.
The BIG issue is that so many artist are self producing these days, that they simply do not know how to ARRANGE their songs. There used to be a job of arranger, separate from producer and artist and engineer. This job has been absorbed by the producer, and when there is no producer, well, I end up having to either produce or co produce a song with the artist.

Another BIG issue is the artist's insecurity, which directly leads to indecision. As they increase their success, however, some of this goes away, but never really disappears.
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Post by Recycled_Brains » Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:11 am

TapeOpLarry wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 4:40 pm
1 hour to 1.5 days. Seriously.
Same, unless it's my own shit, then it's a year.
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

http://maggotbrainny.bandcamp.com

A.David.MacKinnon

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:26 am

Nick Sevilla wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 7:20 am
The BIG issue is that so many artist are self producing these days, that they simply do not know how to ARRANGE their songs. There used to be a job of arranger, separate from producer and artist and engineer. This job has been absorbed by the producer, and when there is no producer, well, I end up having to either produce or co produce a song with the artist.

Another BIG issue is the artist's insecurity, which directly leads to indecision. As they increase their success, however, some of this goes away, but never really disappears.
∆∆∆∆∆∆ this.
I would also extend the idea of engineering insecurity. When I get 4 mic options on every track my average mix time slows to a crawl.

losthighway
resurrected

Post by losthighway » Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:37 am

Nick Sevilla wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 7:20 am
Another BIG issue is the artist's insecurity, which directly leads to indecision.
I find this gets worse as the project nears completion. Everyone loves tracking basics, they start nit picking a bit as they do overdubs and fixes. Then transitioning into mixing they need a therapist.

This can cause havoc for managing your calendar, because suddenly people aren't actually done, and start getting flaky about responding for coming in to mix after they were excellent managers/communicators at the start of the process. I sometimes have projects lay dormant for a few months while someone soul searches and then contacts me to see when I'm available to finish the dang thing.

vernier
pushin' record

Post by vernier » Mon Dec 09, 2019 1:59 pm

Quick and short here as I just record my own stuff. Mostly the concern is to make sure the vocals are up enough in the mix.

joninc
dead but not forgotten

Post by joninc » Mon Dec 09, 2019 3:33 pm

losthighway wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:37 am
This can cause havoc for managing your calendar, because suddenly people aren't actually done, and start getting flaky about responding for coming in to mix after they were excellent managers/communicators at the start of the process.
I have learned to never consider anything booked until i receive the deposit (generally 50%) - this significantly reduces flakiness :D
the new rules : there are no rules