Latest gear you've acquired.....

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Post Reply
drumsound
zen recordist
Posts: 6843
Joined: Tue Jun 01, 2004 10:30 pm
Location: Bloomington IL
Contact:

Re: Latest gear you've acquired.....

Post by drumsound » Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:51 pm

vvv wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:22 pm
I hadda look up "Degan bells" and, judging by the prices on the Ebog, "pretty great trade" is a understatement! 8)
Indeed. My buddy also worked music retail (for longer than I) and I know he didn't have a ton in them either. They might be Musser. I've actually had them at the studio for a while and used them on a bunch of things. I need to check.

User avatar
vvv
zen recordist
Posts: 8958
Joined: Tue May 13, 2003 8:08 am
Location: Chi
Contact:

Re: Latest gear you've acquired.....

Post by vvv » Fri Jan 10, 2020 2:17 pm

Like to hear 'em when you can give us a link!
bandcamp; vlayman;
THD; Geronimo Cowboys;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

drumsound
zen recordist
Posts: 6843
Joined: Tue Jun 01, 2004 10:30 pm
Location: Bloomington IL
Contact:

Re: Latest gear you've acquired.....

Post by drumsound » Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:09 am

vvv wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 2:17 pm
Like to hear 'em when you can give us a link!
Here I am playing them on a gig.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=If5Gv_QXBik

User avatar
losthighway
deaf.
Posts: 1984
Joined: Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:02 pm
Contact:

Re: Latest gear you've acquired.....

Post by losthighway » Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:03 pm

drumsound wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:09 am
vvv wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 2:17 pm
Like to hear 'em when you can give us a link!
Here I am playing them on a gig.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=If5Gv_QXBik

Cool stuff. Those bells cut through the live mix nicely. I've often thought my next band would be a little more multi-instrumental, pop orchestra business and wondered about glockenspiel live. These seem like one way to get it done.

User avatar
vvv
zen recordist
Posts: 8958
Joined: Tue May 13, 2003 8:08 am
Location: Chi
Contact:

Re: Latest gear you've acquired.....

Post by vvv » Sun Jan 12, 2020 5:09 pm

drumsound wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:09 am
vvv wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 2:17 pm
Like to hear 'em when you can give us a link!
Here I am playing them on a gig.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=If5Gv_QXBik
8)
bandcamp; vlayman;
THD; Geronimo Cowboys;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

drumsound
zen recordist
Posts: 6843
Joined: Tue Jun 01, 2004 10:30 pm
Location: Bloomington IL
Contact:

Re: Latest gear you've acquired.....

Post by drumsound » Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:37 am

losthighway wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:03 pm
drumsound wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:09 am
vvv wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 2:17 pm
Like to hear 'em when you can give us a link!
Here I am playing them on a gig.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=If5Gv_QXBik

Cool stuff. Those bells cut through the live mix nicely. I've often thought my next band would be a little more multi-instrumental, pop orchestra business and wondered about glockenspiel live. These seem like one way to get it done.
Sounds like a cool project.

I used to carry vibes to acoustic duo gigs with my brother in the '90s. I even had a Chick Corea piece memorized for the moments when he'd break a string.

User avatar
MrBiggs
audio school
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:25 pm

Re: Latest gear you've acquired.....

Post by MrBiggs » Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:02 pm

Hi there, long-time Tape Op reader, first time message board poster. This seemed like the right thread to say hello, and mention the new toy. I play a little guitar, and for several years have been reckoning with a 15w Rivera Venus 3 amp, which sounds lovely, but has never been happy in the extra bedroom of the house where it lives. It likes to be loud, and that's not really possible. I finally decided to take it and some pedals to the art studio where I spend my work-days, and can play there alone and with others. But I do my recording in this bedroom, where also live some synth and drum machine gear, and my recording interface, and I've been looking for a guitar solution for this space. Recording direct into Ableton or through my modular has not been satisfying, except for special effects purposes.
Indirectly, through this forum, I discovered the Fryette Valvulator GP/DI. Acquired one on Friday, plugged it into a 2x10 cabinet, and spent the weekend in (almost) bliss. It does the things I want, and it does them extremely well, with one exception. The fan on this thing is loud. Like, almost white noise machine, window air conditioner, vacuum cleaner loud. I turned it on last night and wife in the other room asked what it was. The whole point of this 1w amp at night is quiet playing, but I have to crank it up to get over the sound of the fan. Can't mic the cab, either. Sure, I can wear headphones at night, and sure, I can record direct (both sound quite nice). But I don't really like headphones while playing, and I like the sound of my cab. I'd like the option. Of course, when the guitar playing is loud and overdriven, the fan isn't audible. But again, late at night are typically inspired by Eno, not The Black Keys.
Anyone else here use one of these, and might tell me if this is normal? I pulled the cover and removed the fan today, so I could play without it, and man I just love the damn thing. I've emailed Fryette. Hope to hear something.

Video with audio here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/nwh03ixuo4lnx ... e.mov?dl=0

thanks, and cheers from Philly.

User avatar
A.David.MacKinnon
ghost haunting audio students
Posts: 3386
Joined: Wed May 07, 2003 5:57 am
Location: Toronto
Contact:

Re: Latest gear you've acquired.....

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:21 pm

drumsound wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:37 am
losthighway wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:03 pm
drumsound wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:09 am


Here I am playing them on a gig.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=If5Gv_QXBik

Cool stuff. Those bells cut through the live mix nicely. I've often thought my next band would be a little more multi-instrumental, pop orchestra business and wondered about glockenspiel live. These seem like one way to get it done.
Sounds like a cool project.

I used to carry vibes to acoustic duo gigs with my brother in the '90s. I even had a Chick Corea piece memorized for the moments when he'd break a string.
For many years I shared the stage with a wonderful vibraphonist who also played bells (glock). The sound techs alway looked worried. I would tell them that it would all be OK. Even un-mic'd he was the loudest guy on stage. When he was feeling mean he'd play the bells with brass mallets. It's a wonder that any of us still hear any high end at all.

drumsound
zen recordist
Posts: 6843
Joined: Tue Jun 01, 2004 10:30 pm
Location: Bloomington IL
Contact:

Re: Latest gear you've acquired.....

Post by drumsound » Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:06 am

A.David.MacKinnon wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:21 pm
drumsound wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:37 am
losthighway wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:03 pm



Cool stuff. Those bells cut through the live mix nicely. I've often thought my next band would be a little more multi-instrumental, pop orchestra business and wondered about glockenspiel live. These seem like one way to get it done.
Sounds like a cool project.

I used to carry vibes to acoustic duo gigs with my brother in the '90s. I even had a Chick Corea piece memorized for the moments when he'd break a string.
For many years I shared the stage with a wonderful vibraphonist who also played bells (glock). The sound techs alway looked worried. I would tell them that it would all be OK. Even un-mic'd he was the loudest guy on stage. When he was feeling mean he'd play the bells with brass mallets. It's a wonder that any of us still hear any high end at all.
Practicing bells in college, in kind of small cinderblock rooms was a total nightmare. Most of us would use rubber mallets that were too soft for performance, and it was still rough!

kslight
moves faders with mind
Posts: 2672
Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:40 pm

Re: Latest gear you've acquired.....

Post by kslight » Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:49 am

MrBiggs wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:02 pm
Hi there, long-time Tape Op reader, first time message board poster. This seemed like the right thread to say hello, and mention the new toy. I play a little guitar, and for several years have been reckoning with a 15w Rivera Venus 3 amp, which sounds lovely, but has never been happy in the extra bedroom of the house where it lives. It likes to be loud, and that's not really possible. I finally decided to take it and some pedals to the art studio where I spend my work-days, and can play there alone and with others. But I do my recording in this bedroom, where also live some synth and drum machine gear, and my recording interface, and I've been looking for a guitar solution for this space. Recording direct into Ableton or through my modular has not been satisfying, except for special effects purposes.
Indirectly, through this forum, I discovered the Fryette Valvulator GP/DI. Acquired one on Friday, plugged it into a 2x10 cabinet, and spent the weekend in (almost) bliss. It does the things I want, and it does them extremely well, with one exception. The fan on this thing is loud. Like, almost white noise machine, window air conditioner, vacuum cleaner loud. I turned it on last night and wife in the other room asked what it was. The whole point of this 1w amp at night is quiet playing, but I have to crank it up to get over the sound of the fan. Can't mic the cab, either. Sure, I can wear headphones at night, and sure, I can record direct (both sound quite nice). But I don't really like headphones while playing, and I like the sound of my cab. I'd like the option. Of course, when the guitar playing is loud and overdriven, the fan isn't audible. But again, late at night are typically inspired by Eno, not The Black Keys.
Anyone else here use one of these, and might tell me if this is normal? I pulled the cover and removed the fan today, so I could play without it, and man I just love the damn thing. I've emailed Fryette. Hope to hear something.

Video with audio here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/nwh03ixuo4lnx ... e.mov?dl=0

thanks, and cheers from Philly.
Hello! This might be better continued in its own thread. I don’t know about the Fryette. I use a Two Notes Torpedo Live, which goes between your head and your speaker (I use it without a speaker). This would allow you to record the head direct but still monitor out of your cab if you wanted...or just monitor through your studio monitors. The two notes does not have a loud fan...it may have one but I don’t think I’ve heard it.

Revv also has a head with this tech built in.

Maybe more features than you are asking for, but that’s what I do anyway.

User avatar
Snarl 12/8
ghost haunting audio students
Posts: 3394
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:01 pm
Location: Right Cheer
Contact:

Re: Latest gear you've acquired.....

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:48 pm

MrBiggs wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:02 pm
Hi there, long-time Tape Op reader, first time message board poster. This seemed like the right thread to say hello, and mention the new toy. I play a little guitar, and for several years have been reckoning with a 15w Rivera Venus 3 amp, which sounds lovely, but has never been happy in the extra bedroom of the house where it lives. It likes to be loud, and that's not really possible. I finally decided to take it and some pedals to the art studio where I spend my work-days, and can play there alone and with others. But I do my recording in this bedroom, where also live some synth and drum machine gear, and my recording interface, and I've been looking for a guitar solution for this space. Recording direct into Ableton or through my modular has not been satisfying, except for special effects purposes.
Indirectly, through this forum, I discovered the Fryette Valvulator GP/DI. Acquired one on Friday, plugged it into a 2x10 cabinet, and spent the weekend in (almost) bliss. It does the things I want, and it does them extremely well, with one exception. The fan on this thing is loud. Like, almost white noise machine, window air conditioner, vacuum cleaner loud. I turned it on last night and wife in the other room asked what it was. The whole point of this 1w amp at night is quiet playing, but I have to crank it up to get over the sound of the fan. Can't mic the cab, either. Sure, I can wear headphones at night, and sure, I can record direct (both sound quite nice). But I don't really like headphones while playing, and I like the sound of my cab. I'd like the option. Of course, when the guitar playing is loud and overdriven, the fan isn't audible. But again, late at night are typically inspired by Eno, not The Black Keys.
Anyone else here use one of these, and might tell me if this is normal? I pulled the cover and removed the fan today, so I could play without it, and man I just love the damn thing. I've emailed Fryette. Hope to hear something.

Video with audio here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/nwh03ixuo4lnx ... e.mov?dl=0

thanks, and cheers from Philly.
I wouldn't run it for too long without the fan going without clearing it with the manufacturer. Those are usually there for a reason.
Carl Keil

Almost forgot: Please steal my drum tracks. and more.

User avatar
floid
buyin' a studio
Posts: 900
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2006 1:39 pm
Location: in exile

Re: Latest gear you've acquired.....

Post by floid » Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:13 pm

Welcome, MrBiggs

The literature for the Fryette says,
"a genuine, all-tube, one watt guitar amp, driving an internal reactive load and an analog speaker simulator. 
The internal load is disabled when driving a speaker cabinet"

Sounds like it has a power soak, which converts most of the power tube's output to heat when not hooked up to a speaker. Plus the heat of the tubes themselves. "1 watt, how hot can it get?" But the 4 tubes are likely consuming 10-15 watts to deliver that watt of output, most of which is heat.
The other day I scalded my finger on a 12au7 in the mini amp I just built.

Looks like a nice piece of kit, hope you get it sorted!
Village Idiot.

permanent hearing damage
buyin' gear
Posts: 591
Joined: Thu Oct 09, 2003 3:55 pm
Location: philly
Contact:

Re: Latest gear you've acquired.....

Post by permanent hearing damage » Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:46 am

-pair of Beyer M160s. have wanted a pair of these forever and finally pulled the trigger! such great guitar mics. haven't tried on drum OH just yet, but will soon.
-Slate VMS ML-1. surprisingly good sounding mic without emulations, but not very exciting/useful for my type of productions. listed in buy/sell/trade now.
-EastWest Spaces II. pretty cool reverb. I have some other convo verbs, but this one is a bit simpler and easier to dial in. digging it so far.
- UAD Distressor and MDWEQ. still haven't quite gotten my brain around the distressor - never got to use hardware much, but the MDWEQ is amazing. didn't think i had use or another ITB EQ, but this thing rocks!
-Waves CLA signature series. have had the drums and bass for some time and only started using recently in little bits here and there. liking the rest of this series, even though Waves are horrible

User avatar
digitaldrummer
resurrected
Posts: 2292
Joined: Wed Nov 23, 2005 9:51 pm
Location: Austin, Texas
Contact:

Re: Latest gear you've acquired.....

Post by digitaldrummer » Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:11 am

permanent hearing damage wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:46 am
-Waves CLA signature series. have had the drums and bass for some time and only started using recently in little bits here and there. liking the rest of this series, even though Waves are horrible
I use the CLA comps fairly often - especially if I need to conserve UAD DSP (I have the UAD LA2A/LA3A/1176 too) and i still use the Waves SSL bundle (which I paid ~$500 for back in the day...) and maybe a few others. but I'm finding for the most part I'm just about over Waves...
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

User avatar
A.David.MacKinnon
ghost haunting audio students
Posts: 3386
Joined: Wed May 07, 2003 5:57 am
Location: Toronto
Contact:

Re: Latest gear you've acquired.....

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:29 pm

Picked up a ADA Guitar Cabinet Simulator DI to pair with my B15 pre-amp clone. It's helping to make people's DI bass tracks much more enjoyable to mix. It's got fewer option than the amp/cab simulator plugs I've got but somehow sounds better. Maybe it's just because I can flick switches and turn knobs in real time. It seems easier and quicker to get to a sound I like.

Image

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests