Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

losthighway
resurrected

Re: Apollo Masters Burned Down

Post by losthighway » Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:26 pm

markjazzbassist wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:17 am
CD is an awful format and it's no surprise it's dying a slow death. Cassette and Vinyl will always be popular because they are Analog. Until a superior analog format is devised, it will be those 2 and whatever is the latest/greatest Digital option (which will always be changing).
People say this, but it's still a format at a better resolution than 90% of the public's current music listening.

digitaldrummer
ghost haunting audio students

Post by digitaldrummer » Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:52 pm

I'll be honest, I prefer CDs over vinyl. I sold my turntable and most of my vinyl (only kept a few) years ago and never looked back. the pops and scratches and wear -- while my CDs have not worn out... and maybe I had a shitty turntable and stylus, but I was OK with CDs. Especially after they finally figured out how to master properly for digital (years later...) and the CD players improved a little bit. Now I can even tolerate MP3's that are 192K or higher... :mrgreen:

oh yeah, all the cassettes were gone long ago too...

true story... I offered a couple new CDs to a fellow musician the other day and he said - thanks, but I have nothing to play these on... (ok, they are on Spotify too...) and only a couple days before that, someone offered a vinyl disc to me (that I had played on) and I had to respond similarly.
Crazy world...
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Tue Feb 11, 2020 5:32 pm

I still buy CD's, 3-4 some monthes.*

Might be why I have a cuppla thou.

I also have a cuppla thou vinyl I ain' touched in years, despite having a cuppla-3 nice turntables. - I have all the good stuff** on CD by now, anyway.

And yep, I have pocket players - I use 'em for live concert downloads, the occasional Bandcamp release.

That said, alla my stuff (not that I publish that much, if ya know me ... :twisted: ) is on Bandcamp now-a-daze because, well, not everyone listens to CD's, but everyone listens to streaming on pooters and if not, phones.

*This month was Kamasi Wahington's Epic, T. Monk Quartet's Misterioso, Thalia Zedek's Fighting Season, Garret-Scofield-Brecker-Friesen's Old Folks, and Mark Lanegan's Somebody's Knocking .

**Just this year I bought the REO live record from '76 - not that it's "good" [tho' better'n it should be], but I saw 'em that year and so I finally replaced it for nostalgia ...
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:38 pm

kslight wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:50 am
drumsound wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:43 am
digitaldrummer wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:11 am
I feel a resurgence of the CD format coming on!

said no one ever...
Stranger things have happened.
I got the disc duping machine ready to sell to some hipster
eBay gon be BLOWIN' UP!

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:29 am

RE: the vinyl comeback

What is the ratio of people that actually listen to their new vinyl on a regular basis vs just use the download code?

losthighway
resurrected

Post by losthighway » Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:13 am

kslight wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:29 am

What is the ratio of people that actually listen to their new vinyl on a regular basis vs just use the download code?
I used to be 50/50, but these days my mp3 player has become road trip only with streaming services for work listening and vinyl for when I'm cooking, hanging around the house. I'd estimate I'm only listening to vinyl around a third of the time, but the relationship I have with the music I have on vinyl is more intense than whatever I'm whimsically streaming. If I buy it on vinyl I listen to it multiple times, scrutinize lyrics, explore the graphic design etc.

markjazzbassist
tinnitus

Post by markjazzbassist » Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:22 am

kslight wrote:

i get i'm a rarity but i only listen to vinyl at home and cassette at work or in the car. occaisionally i'll hit bandcamp to find new bands but i buy their vinyl or cassette. very little digital listening here.

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:57 am

markjazzbassist wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:22 am
kslight wrote:

i get i'm a rarity but i only listen to vinyl at home and cassette at work or in the car. occaisionally i'll hit bandcamp to find new bands but i buy their vinyl or cassette. very little digital listening here.

For me it is rare that I have 40 minutes to listen to an album continuously, attentively, and when I do, it’s because I’m driving or at the gym or mowing the grass or at work...all situations where vinyl is impractical.

So while I have a handful of favorite bands who I will buy vinyl from, its very rare that I listen that way. And my turntable and sound system is just a cheapy anyway, so I would feel silly claiming the quality is better or whatever, on that playback system.

markjazzbassist
tinnitus

Post by markjazzbassist » Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:44 pm

gotcha, i do IT during the day, so my Sony WMD6 Pro Cassette Deck gets a ton of use filing my ears with sonic goodness while i stare at the screen into oblivion.

when i'm home i put on records while i do the dishes, play with the kids, dance party (james brown time!!), or have friends over. the kids love james brown and funky dance music, anything to shake a booty to.

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:22 pm

markjazzbassist wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:44 pm
gotcha, i do IT during the day, so my Sony WMD6 Pro Cassette Deck gets a ton of use filing my ears with sonic goodness while i stare at the screen into oblivion.

when i'm home i put on records while i do the dishes, play with the kids, dance party (james brown time!!), or have friends over. the kids love james brown and funky dance music, anything to shake a booty to.
(Googles) That fancy. Any reason this model in particular? I’m at an age where I never owned a legit Walkman (which actually doesn’t make me as young as you might think), or purchased new cassettes, I only had tape decks in the first two cars and briefly in the parents’ home stereo. I did have a handful of cool tapes I got at goodwill; nitzer ebb, Berlin, b52s, Peter Murphy, Depeche Mode, the cure, etc.... which all got warbled to hell between Iowa summers and Iowa winters...

I do browse the tape sections of thrift stores but I rarely find anything that isn’t Christmas crap.

floid
buyin' a studio

Post by floid » Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:11 pm

kslight wrote:

I've never used a single download code from a vinyl purchase. Since losing my entire collection roughly a decade ago, I'm back up to 300ish titles. I typically listen 1-3 hours a day, and buy at least one title a month.
The only CDs I buy these days are at the thrifts, as that's the only place around here where I can browse and stumble upon.
I have gradually begun streaming over the last couple years, in the car and at work. Primarily because the only semi-tolerable radio station's weekday programming has been in decline (by my standards), but also because my current vehicle has no convenient place to store a CD binder.
Not much cassette use.
Village Idiot.

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:33 pm

floid wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:11 pm
kslight wrote:

I've never used a single download code from a vinyl purchase. Since losing my entire collection roughly a decade ago, I'm back up to 300ish titles. I typically listen 1-3 hours a day, and buy at least one title a month.
The only CDs I buy these days are at the thrifts, as that's the only place around here where I can browse and stumble upon.
I have gradually begun streaming over the last couple years, in the car and at work. Primarily because the only semi-tolerable radio station's weekday programming has been in decline (by my standards), but also because my current vehicle has no convenient place to store a CD binder.
Not much cassette use.
I haven’t been able to get into streaming. I’ve ripped high bit rare mp3s of every CD I’ve ever purchased and carry a big chunk of that with me on my phone. And I have a stack of misc CDs in my car for traveling too, but my car has Bluetooth so it’s easiest just to play from the phone.

markjazzbassist
tinnitus

Post by markjazzbassist » Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:10 am

kslight wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:22 pm

(Googles) That fancy. Any reason this model in particular? I’m at an age where I never owned a legit Walkman (which actually doesn’t make me as young as you might think), or purchased new cassettes, I only had tape decks in the first two cars and briefly in the parents’ home stereo.
simply put it's the finest portable cassette player/recorder ever made. I paid 300 for it refurbished (new pinch roller and belts). There are bigger models like the Sony TC-D5 or Marantz PMD series but those are field recorders so not exactly portable. The sony wmd6 i have was used by tapers back in the day at concerts, very nice unit. I love the cassette format for so many reasons (size, price, sound) that i didn't want to just buy any old walkman, i wanted the best. the market is on the up with Cassette store day pickup up every year and more stuff being released on tape again, so i wanted to get in before it got out of hand. I'm recording to cassette only now as well (Tascam 488 and Marantz PMD740), it's become a bit of an obsession really.

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:24 am

markjazzbassist wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:10 am
kslight wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:22 pm

(Googles) That fancy. Any reason this model in particular? I’m at an age where I never owned a legit Walkman (which actually doesn’t make me as young as you might think), or purchased new cassettes, I only had tape decks in the first two cars and briefly in the parents’ home stereo.
simply put it's the finest portable cassette player/recorder ever made. I paid 300 for it refurbished (new pinch roller and belts). There are bigger models like the Sony TC-D5 or Marantz PMD series but those are field recorders so not exactly portable. The sony wmd6 i have was used by tapers back in the day at concerts, very nice unit. I love the cassette format for so many reasons (size, price, sound) that i didn't want to just buy any old walkman, i wanted the best. the market is on the up with Cassette store day pickup up every year and more stuff being released on tape again, so i wanted to get in before it got out of hand. I'm recording to cassette only now as well (Tascam 488 and Marantz PMD740), it's become a bit of an obsession really.
Gotcha. I had a 688 for awhile but didn’t do much with it/was a little counterintuitive so sold it, though at times I regret that.

These days i do have a few fun cassette gadgets, Onde Magnetique OM1 and Cassette Echo (a modified marantz), and Landscape HCTT mk2.

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:54 pm

digitaldrummer wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:52 pm
I'll be honest, I prefer CDs over vinyl.
I do too. We have a turntable in the house but hardly ever use it. I don't have one in the studio. I don't have a cd player out there either but every cd gets ripped into the computer in all of its glorious 16 bits. I have approx one zillion records I can call up in a second, it's nice. And I like to dork out and compare different masterings and such (maybe one day Sony will finally get Kind of Blue right).

It also amuses me to occasionally scour the internet in search of some dumb old metal record from my youth, trying to find the original master and not the invariably terrible 90s/00s remaster. You know *someone* has it collecting dust somewhere.

CD booklets/artwork though, what a drag. I keep a magnifying glass on the studio coffee table so my old-ass eyes can read the liners.