Unusual fix for microphone noise issue

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Dubmaniac
gettin' sounds

Unusual fix for microphone noise issue

Post by Dubmaniac » Sat Nov 16, 2019 5:24 pm

I recently bought a pair of Sennheiser K3-U microphone bodies with a pair of M40 cardiod capsules. I started noticing that one of them was so noisy that it was unusable. I had seen something online about eliminating noise when using these without batteries (the batteries are no longer available, but they work with phantom power). The K3-U apparently needs some pressure in the battery compartment to work without the noise issue. Even a dead battery will do the trick. Today I cut a piece from a 5/8" wooden dowel to fill the battery compartment, and put it in there. It's tight, but it fits... and it works!

I wanted to share this to help anyone else who might have this issue. How about you? Got any creative fixes for problematic gear?
"Stare with your ears"- Ken Nordine

drumsound
zen recordist

Re: Unusual fix for microphone noise issue

Post by drumsound » Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:41 am

Very clever. Wood is smarter than an old battery that could eventually leak and severly screw things up inside the mic.

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Sun Nov 17, 2019 11:02 am

Dubmaniac wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 5:24 pm

I wanted to share this to help anyone else who might have this issue. How about you? Got any creative fixes for problematic gear?
Does swearing and hitting things count?

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sun Nov 17, 2019 12:34 pm

Well, you can say that again.

Wait, ... :twisted:
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

winky dinglehoffer
buyin' a studio

Post by winky dinglehoffer » Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:32 pm

I recently used a piece of one of those rectangular pencil erasers to fix the Play button on a teacher friend's portable CD player (a classroom model with built in speaker). Sort of audio related, & I was right proud of myself for making it work.

Dubmaniac
gettin' sounds

Post by Dubmaniac » Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:14 pm

drumsound wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:41 am
Very clever. Wood is smarter than an old battery that could eventually leak and severly screw things up inside the mic.
My thoughts exactly. Now that I've got both these mics up and running, I am amazed at how good they sound for drum overheads. I could probably get away with only miking the kick drum and using these overhead to pick up the rest of the kit.

Calaverasgrande
ass engineer

Post by Calaverasgrande » Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:04 am

oh thats amazing! I'll have to get my K3U/MH40 out of storage today and check that out.
It used to be my favorite SDC for drums. But then one session it started sputtering and making noises. Changed cables, tried a different phantom power supply. Same noise. I never would have thought to try putting a dummy battery in there.

Dubmaniac
gettin' sounds

Post by Dubmaniac » Fri Mar 06, 2020 11:40 pm

oh thats amazing! I'll have to get my K3U/MH40 out of storage today and check that out.
It used to be my favorite SDC for drums. But then one session it started sputtering and making noises. Changed cables, tried a different phantom power supply. Same noise. I never would have thought to try putting a dummy battery in there.
I know it sounds crazy, but give it a try and let me know if it helps. I hope it does.