Apollo Masters Burned Down

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

jimjazzdad
takin' a dinner break

Re: Apollo Masters Burned Down

Post by jimjazzdad » Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:26 am

I record a two-hour program every week for broadcast on the local community radio station. I have turntable, CD, cassette, and reel-to-reel available in the studio. CD and digital files from HDD or USB thumb drive are the most convenient. Vinyl continually pleases me; I enjoy it despite the background noise (which I minimize with a really good record vacuum). Reel to reel is without doubt the best analog sound, cassettes a distant third after vinyl. Cue-ing tape sucks though. Just my personal take on using all these media fairly regularly. And just say "no" to lossy digital formats. :x
Jim Legere
Halifax, NS
Canada

digitaldrummer
ghost haunting audio students

Post by digitaldrummer » Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:47 am

it's kind of funny that everyone lists the compromises they are willing to tolerate. Every playback media seems to have them... :(
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

floid
buyin' a studio

Post by floid » Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:16 pm

digitaldrummer wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:47 am
it's kind of funny that everyone lists the compromises they are willing to tolerate. Every playback media seems to have them... :(
True. I prefer the sound of live music but it's such a damned nuisance having to kick the band off the couch so I can drag it out of the way enough to unfold the bandstand. Wouldn't be quite so bad of even one of them was willing to help, but
Village Idiot.

digitaldrummer

Post by digitaldrummer » Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:04 pm

can't remember where I found this, but I saved it because it was interesting...
CD - The Rise and Fall 85-17.jpg
CD - The Rise and Fall 85-17.jpg (57.32 KiB) Viewed 4859 times
Mike

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:47 am

Yeah, 90 million sold - that's a dead thing.

:twisted:

Well, it izza big decline, anyway, gotta admit.

But alla you streamers out there you'll be sorry when the EMP's hit, yessir, and there's no more internet and alla us CD fans will sit right back and, ...

... eh, ...

... play Frisbee.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

winky dinglehoffer
buyin' a studio

Post by winky dinglehoffer » Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:12 pm

vvv wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:47 am
But alla you streamers out there you'll be sorry when the EMP's hit, yessir, and there's no more internet and alla us CD fans will sit right back and, ...

... eh, ...

... play Frisbee.
As long as you leave the batteries out of your Discman, it'll all be cool.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:40 am

:lol:

So I made a fan site on Bandcamp because I ordered something (Roger Miller of Mission of Burma's band, Trinity) and didn't get the d/l link due to a PayPal glitch ...

Anywhat, they sent a confirming email with this factoid innit:

Fans like yourself buy $8.6 million worth of digital albums, vinyl, cassettes and more from the artists on Bandcamp each month, which works out to about one record sold every two seconds, 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

OK, the $ is one thing, but note ...

... no mention of CD's.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Mon Feb 17, 2020 4:50 pm

vvv wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:40 am
:lol:

So I made a fan site on Bandcamp because I ordered something (Roger Miller of Mission of Burma's band, Trinity) and didn't get the d/l link due to a PayPal glitch ...

Anywhat, they sent a confirming email with this factoid innit:

Fans like yourself buy $8.6 million worth of digital albums, vinyl, cassettes and more from the artists on Bandcamp each month, which works out to about one record sold every two seconds, 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

OK, the $ is one thing, but note ...

... no mention of CD's.
The $ thing just sounds like not very much, tbh.

I guess most of us kids that are hip to bandcamp don’t buy CDs from bandcamp. I did buy at least one CD in 2019 but I think it was from Target.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Mon Feb 17, 2020 6:11 pm

$442.7 million/yr is "not very much"?
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:32 pm

vvv wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 6:11 pm
$442.7 million/yr is "not very much"?
I’m not good at math but $8.6 million x per month seemed low for Bandcamp especially not strictly downloads. What I was saying.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:30 pm

I suck at math, me, and use a calculator = $266,000+ a day.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

digitaldrummer

Post by digitaldrummer » Tue Feb 18, 2020 6:51 am

I think I may have sold 3 CDs on bandcamp - and not the same CD. Anyway, rarely sell downloads there either and Bandcamp (as far as I know) does not pay out for streaming royalties like others do. Not exactly sure how that works, but somewhere when I signed up I probably agreed to that in some deep down legal mumbo-jumbo that i did not clearly understand... no worries, I probably would not have collected that $0.17 anyway.
Mike

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:26 am

vvv wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:30 pm
I suck at math, me, and use a calculator = $266,000+ a day.
So by my estimation, at $8+ million per month that would mean 5000ish artists making poverty wages (if their only income is Bandcamp)...except we know there are way more artists than that...and most I’m sure sell next to nothing. I am interested statistically how the breakdown really works, at brief search i couldn’t determine how many artists there currently are on bandcamp (google said “at least 5”). Especially because i assume most on bandcamp are relatively small artists compared to the big names of the world that sell at Target.

I’m not trying to make a mountain out of a molehill, like anyone else I just wish smaller musicians were selling more music.

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:32 am

Why would I buy a physical CD from bandcamp when I can just download the files? I don't think there's very many people who care about the physical CD packaging the way people do with vinyl, which makes sense. If I'm buying vinyl I want the thing, if I'm buying a cd I just want the information that's on the thing.

I sold three (3) copies of my last album on bandcamp, and two of those were to friends. That one stranger really dug it though!

jimjazzdad
takin' a dinner break

Post by jimjazzdad » Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:21 pm

MoreSpaceEcho wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:32 am
Why would I buy a physical CD from bandcamp when I can just download the files? I don't think there's very many people who care about the physical CD packaging the way people do with vinyl, which makes sense. If I'm buying vinyl I want the thing, if I'm buying a cd I just want the information that's on the thing.

I sold three (3) copies of my last album on bandcamp, and two of those were to friends. That one stranger really dug it though!
When I buy a CD (or a vinyl) I feel like I am buying 'an album' - songs mastered in certain order with artistic gaps between songs, cover art, liner notes... When I download the same thing, I feel like I'm just buying computer files; sure I can play them in the same order and peruse a PDF of the cover, etc. but I'm not in possession of a tactile, physical thing. Its probably just generational - 'stuff' is important to me. YMMV
Jim Legere
Halifax, NS
Canada