Re: Latest gear you've acquired.....

Post by Recycled_Brains » Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:00 am

drumsound wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:47 pm
Recycled_Brains wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:56 am
drumsound wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:35 pm

Good choice. Mine is one of my favorite things.
I've been watching Reverb for a reasonably priced pcm42 forever ("reasonably" is not happening yet). Are the 41's just as cool? They seem to be less desirable, thus cheaper.
They don't have the input limiter, or the digital read out for time in ms. It think everything else is the same. They sound ridiculously cool. If you're leaving a mix up, take note of the LED on the delay time, all the pots are analog, so if you don't move them the only thing you have to reset is the delay time with the buttons. The "fine tuning" knob stays the same.
Rad. Thank you. I don’t think the lack of digital readout would bother me. Im so used to using pedals and close enough is always good enough for me with delays. I will keep my eyes peeled.
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

http://maggotbrainny.bandcamp.com

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:34 pm

Recycled_Brains wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:00 am
drumsound wrote:
Recycled_Brains wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:56 am

I've been watching Reverb for a reasonably priced pcm42 forever ("reasonably" is not happening yet). Are the 41's just as cool? They seem to be less desirable, thus cheaper.
They don't have the input limiter, or the digital read out for time in ms. It think everything else is the same. They sound ridiculously cool. If you're leaving a mix up, take note of the LED on the delay time, all the pots are analog, so if you don't move them the only thing you have to reset is the delay time with the buttons. The "fine tuning" knob stays the same.
Rad. Thank you. I don’t think the lack of digital readout would bother me. Im so used to using pedals and close enough is always good enough for me with delays. I will keep my eyes peeled.
They're super great. I got my PCM41 and PCM 60 at the same time. I was actually working at a studio when we got them. The boss was working at pawn shop and someone brought them in. He called me at the music store I was working at during that time. Our collective buddy who worked with me knew the skinny and said we should grab them. When I bought the boss out to open my room, there was no way I wan NOT taking them with me.

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Post by Recycled_Brains » Sun Feb 02, 2020 4:02 pm

drumsound wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:34 pm
Recycled_Brains wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:00 am
drumsound wrote:

They're super great. I got my PCM41 and PCM 60 at the same time. I was actually working at a studio when we got them. The boss was working at pawn shop and someone brought them in. He called me at the music store I was working at during that time. Our collective buddy who worked with me knew the skinny and said we should grab them. When I bought the boss out to open my room, there was no way I wan NOT taking them with me.

I miss having a PCM60. Had a loaner for years. So simple. I used to put pedals in the effects loop too. Thats fun.
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

losthighway
resurrected

Post by losthighway » Sat Feb 29, 2020 6:53 am

Dr. Z Jetta combo amp.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sat Feb 29, 2020 11:18 am

Dr. Z! I saw a guy inna cover band playing a Maserati some time ago - great sound.

Just picked up the later-model Big Muff Sovtek with the blend, because I got it cheap (US$50, like new, shipped ) - certainly not because I needed more muffage. Of that sort*. :twisted:

It really is flexible, what with the Q and freq-adjustable and switchable mids, and the blend.

It's about the size of two MXR pedals.

Was one in the need of a Muff (not that type*), I'd reco the Nano Green Russkie and then this, with the OpAmp and others for more specific-desired sounds.

* https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... roject.jpg
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

Mark
tinnitus

Post by Mark » Sun Mar 01, 2020 1:50 pm

WWRHS?

Mark
tinnitus

Post by Mark » Tue Mar 03, 2020 6:38 am

WWRHS?

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Tue Mar 03, 2020 6:44 am

Mark wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 6:38 am
Do you have a Mackie 8-bus and a pair of ADATs to go with that rack?

Mark
tinnitus

Post by Mark » Tue Mar 03, 2020 8:15 am

No. I have....

:D
WWRHS?

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Tue Mar 03, 2020 7:56 pm

Mark wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 8:15 am
No. I have....

:D
A much better choice!

Mark
tinnitus

Post by Mark » Wed Mar 04, 2020 3:16 am

Cheers :D

Spent some time last night hooking up as much as I could to the patchbay with what cables I had spare. So far I've managed to hook up...

Effects Out
Aux Out
Effects Returns
Stereo Buss Inputs
Zoom 1201 left/mono In
Zoom 1201 stereo outs
3630 ins and outs (both channels)

I'm pondering hooking the sidechain jacks up, but I've heard this can cause problems. I haven't hooked the stereo out jacks up because I want to be able to use the balanced XLR jacks for that and I don't have any suitable cables.
WWRHS?

alexdingley
buyin' a studio

Post by alexdingley » Wed Mar 04, 2020 8:00 am

Added another 2Bus rack from Dangerous (it was actually an original purple face rack... but I grabbed the new black faceplate from Sweetwater). And oddly enough, since this was a VERY early original, I had to drill out the internal chassis screw-holes and manually line up the new black faceplate, but I got me 32 ch of analog summing now.

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Post by Recycled_Brains » Wed Mar 04, 2020 8:22 am

alexdingley wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 8:00 am
Added another 2Bus rack from Dangerous (it was actually an original purple face rack... but I grabbed the new black faceplate from Sweetwater). And oddly enough, since this was a VERY early original, I had to drill out the internal chassis screw-holes and manually line up the new black faceplate, but I got me 32 ch of analog summing now.

How do you like that Xpressor? It bounces on and off my radar now and then.
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

alexdingley
buyin' a studio

Post by alexdingley » Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:58 am

Recycled_Brains wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 8:22 am
I Love it! I really just use it for a transparent compression in the mix bus. The built-in side chain filtering is great for preventing low-freq pumping. If you’re specifically looking for SSL style smashy-smashy 2bus glue, then this isn’t gonna be where you get it, but if you want some compression that’s gonna transparently rein in some peaks, this is stellar.

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Post by Recycled_Brains » Thu Mar 05, 2020 9:26 am

alexdingley wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:58 am
Recycled_Brains wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 8:22 am
I Love it! I really just use it for a transparent compression in the mix bus. The built-in side chain filtering is great for preventing low-freq pumping. If you’re specifically looking for SSL style smashy-smashy 2bus glue, then this isn’t gonna be where you get it, but if you want some compression that’s gonna transparently rein in some peaks, this is stellar.

Nice. I actually use a TK Audio BC501 on my mix buss, so I have that SSL thing covered. I'm actually looking more for something that would work well as a drum compressor. I've been using my Daking FETII's a lot and they are fantastic, but I'm realizing that on material with lots of double bass drum blasting (a lot of what I mix), having a s/c filter option is pretty essential.
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY