Favorite Hardware Reverb Unit

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Calaverasgrande
ass engineer

Favorite Hardware Reverb Unit

Post by Calaverasgrande » Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:33 am

Could swear this was already a topic on here. But the only similar I can find is from over 15 years ago.

I prefer to use actual spaces and microphone placement when possible. But sometimes an artificial reverb is it's own thing. What is your go to hardware reverb? What box do you use for inspiration, aura, air or bottomless pit of synth pads.

Currently I am using a Roland 3030 (not 330). It sounds prett good, but has an annoying habit of not saving presets the way you left them. I always have to go back and make the preset 100% wet again! It sounds bad when soloed, but good on a mix.

I also have a Quadraverb GT for when only a cheesy multieffect will do. It's good for processing loops or samples to make them less distinct. Or for butchering vocals a la Al Jourgenson.

losthighway
resurrected

Re: Favorite Hardware Reverb Unit

Post by losthighway » Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:47 am

My latest favorite is the TC Electronic Rever 4000. It's discontinued because they've been pushing their pricier, bigger 6000. For a couple years the price on these dipped from several thousand for new units, to 1,400 as clearance. I missed that window, but it brought their used price down to a similar cost. You have to look at a Bricasti to get much better IMHO.

I used 4 or 5 settings on their m2000 unit for years before upgrading. Still like a few things on the older one, but it's not quite as rich or real sounding.

Calaverasgrande
ass engineer

Post by Calaverasgrande » Mon Mar 09, 2020 2:05 pm

I used to have a TC PowerCore. There were a few reverb plugins on there that were very good. It's been a while so I cannot recall the name but there was one that was very rich and smooth sounding. This alone has perked my interest in TC reverbs. It seems they have just about slowed to a trickle of models. The M2000/3000 being from 15 years ago?

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Mon Mar 09, 2020 4:30 pm

My two favorites in my rack are the TC M3000. I love the fairly natural sounds, and how easy it is to navigate and alter the presets to the task at hand. I'm sure I'd like the 4000, and prices on the used market seem to be decent.

The others is the PCM60. It sounds totally different from the M3K and is even simpler.

TapeOpLarry
TapeOp Admin
TapeOp Admin

Post by TapeOpLarry » Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:30 pm

Lexicon PMC60 for drums
Demeter Real Reverb for guitars (maybe Benson Tall Bird rack for longer sounds)
EMT 140 for vocals (with custom Hamptone electronics and DynaMount to move the damper)

The rest would have to be ridiculous so I do in the box with Valhalla/UAD/Soundtoys/Transatlantic
Larry Crane, Editor/Founder Tape Op Magazine
please visit www.tapeop.com for contact information
(do not send private messages via this board!)
www.larry-crane.com

permanent hearing damage
re-cappin' neve

Post by permanent hearing damage » Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:19 am

+1 for PCM60. i only sold it cuz I'm all ITB these days and hadn't used it in a long time. but it sounded great and was so damn simple and easy to dial in.

got to use a Klark Teknik DN780 once and was blown away. if i was investing in outboard again, i'd start saving for one of those!

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Post by Recycled_Brains » Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:26 am

LOVE PCM60. Especially for drums. I had one on indefinite loan for years, then I gave it back to the owner, now he's giving it back to me next time I see him. I'm so excited.

I struggle so much with ITB reverb. Never am fully happy with it, but every recording I go back and listen to where I used the PCM sounds great.

I got to use an EMT140 once. Those are obviously great. In college we had a BX10 and I really loved that thing.
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

http://maggotbrainny.bandcamp.com

TapeOpLarry
TapeOp Admin
TapeOp Admin

Post by TapeOpLarry » Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:38 am

I want an AKG BX10 and BX20 so bad. We used to see them for $100 or 20's for free. I should have grabbed them back in the 90s!
Larry Crane, Editor/Founder Tape Op Magazine
please visit www.tapeop.com for contact information
(do not send private messages via this board!)
www.larry-crane.com

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:42 am

With the exception of my H3000 and Peavey Valverb I’m pretty much in the box for reverb when I mix at my place these days.
There are a few places that I work out of semi regularly that have pieces I love - 2 EMT plates, a 70’s Tapco spring that is remarkably good, a TC 3000 (I think), echoplexes and space echos.
My in the box solution has been to take impulse responses of my reverbs and delay settings whenever I’m mixing on someone else’s gear. I started so I’d be able to redo or touch up mixes from home without access to the gear. It’s evolved into a handy collection of my favourite pieces that I can dial up any time.

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Tue Mar 10, 2020 2:59 pm

I still like my Lexicon MX400.

Otherwise, it is all plug ins now, with so many good emulators out there.
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

Calaverasgrande
ass engineer

Post by Calaverasgrande » Tue Mar 10, 2020 6:57 pm

I certainly like my ITB verbs. I have all the UAD Lexicon and EMT stuff. As well as their plates and the Capitol chambers. All very good. But they don't do me a lot of good when I am trying to mix using the DAW as a tape machine, bringing each track out to a mixer and mixing down on hardware. In that case if I add reverb in the box, then it is going to get EQ-ed as a stem. Which might be a nice effect, but is not what I am after.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:04 pm

TapeOpLarry wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:30 pm
Lexicon PMC60 for drums
Demeter Real Reverb for guitars (maybe Benson Tall Bird rack for longer sounds)
EMT 140 for vocals (with custom Hamptone electronics and DynaMount to move the damper)

The rest would have to be ridiculous so I do in the box with Valhalla/UAD/Soundtoys/Transatlantic
That's a genius use of the DynaMount.

Mark
tinnitus

Post by Mark » Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:41 pm

By "hardware" do you mean analogue only or are you including digital boxes?

I only have the one. a Zoom 1201. So I guess that's my favourite :D
WWRHS?

markjazzbassist
tinnitus

Post by markjazzbassist » Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:46 am

all i have is a Fostex 3180 Stereo Spring Unit, it sounds great. You have to use proper gain staging to reduce some of the hiss, other than that I have no complaints.

vernier
pushin' record

Post by vernier » Wed Mar 11, 2020 2:50 pm

I prefer non digital verbs ...and always have.