Did a fun Preamp Shootout Session Neve, API, UA...

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

row
audio school graduate

Did a fun Preamp Shootout Session Neve, API, UA...

Post by row » Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:18 pm

Did a fun preamp shootout a few days ago. My partner in crime has decently treated room and is a killer drummer (who actually knows how to tune his drums). Does a fair amount of work in his studio with some decent names. We plan to do more comparisons but for this session we just threw up 1 room mic in the corner of the room to compare the various Neve Style, API style, Focusrite, WARM, and UA pre's on said Drum Room Mic. My friend is a super consistent drummer and we just had him play the same beat OVER AND OVER to get takes to compare. It was Super fun! Pre's included;

-Neve 511
-Warm WA273
-Focusrite 828
-Warm Tonebeast
-API 512c (we had four different ones to pick from and found minute differences between two we used)
-BAE 312
-UA 610 (solo)
-UA LA 610 older silver version

Obviously we gathered we could use all these different tools for various applications and they were all good in their own ways. I could talk about all this for a while but a few main points I'll mention are; For the value and sound the 511 was pretty awesome. It was surprising how close the WARM tonebeast was to the 512c. It was like splitting hairs. A tiny bit of top end stuff was presen in the Tonebeast that was wasn't present in the 512. But besides that they were real close in this application. The BAE was the least thrilling of them all in comparison to the other API's. More detailed and headed in a more harsh direction. Also, the WARM WA273 sounds really good and is kind of what you would expect but solid.

We're going to try and make a simple song with clean guitar, distorted guitar, bass, and drums and use all Neve style pre's for one take. API style for another. And UA for another just to see and listen. Obviously in the real world we would use these different pre's for different things but we are just curious and want to listen to the results in that context. Hope all is well in Corona land with all of you reading this. Trying to stay busy myself. I'm still getting paid being a Special Ed. Teacher.
Last edited by row on Sat Mar 28, 2020 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

drumsound
zen recordist

Re: Did a fun Preamp Shoot Session Neve, API, UA...

Post by drumsound » Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:53 pm

Will you be posting the audio anywhere for us to hear?

row
audio school graduate

Re: Did a fun Preamp Shoot Session Neve, API, UA...

Post by row » Sat Mar 28, 2020 4:01 pm

Yes. It's kind of a lot of tracks. Any suggestions on how you think people would like to hear it? Videos seem easier because you can overlay the audio with the name of the pre but I always get weird about quality issues and importing tracks into iMovie but I'm not super knowledgeable..

Maybe I can just list them all on SoundCloud?

What do you think?

vernier
pushin' record

Re: Did a fun Preamp Shootout Session Neve, API, UA...

Post by vernier » Mon Apr 13, 2020 2:48 pm

That's a big nice collection ...will be cool hearing it.