TASCAM 388 track 1 playback level inconsistent

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

iamdamosuzuki
audio school

TASCAM 388 track 1 playback level inconsistent

Post by iamdamosuzuki » Wed Apr 01, 2020 6:10 pm

Hi,

I noticed during playback that the audio recorded on track 1 was oscillating in and out - regardless of recording XLR or Line In - playback volume is inconsistent and oscillating. Tracks 2-8 are recording and playing back as usual.

I notice the left tensioner arm bounces quite a bit while recording / playback, this has been a small quirk since I've had it and its never affected its function as far as i know...so I'm wondering what's going on here? this machine was serviced immediately before I purchased it and has only been used for maybe 6 hours collectively. :skeptic:

is it probably the left tensioner arm and i just didn't notice before? it's hard to tell with vocals, but on synths and guitars it's very obvious.

this should be a very inexpensive fix right?

thanks yalln :worthy:

jimjazzdad
takin' a dinner break

Re: TASCAM 388 track 1 playback level inconsistent

Post by jimjazzdad » Thu Apr 02, 2020 4:49 am

There is a strong possibility that the idler arm is jumping around because of oxide or binder deposits in the tape path. First thing to try is a really thorough cleaning of all the tape path with a strong solvent (98% isopropyl alcohol or acetone, but don't get any on the pinch roller!) followed by polishing the guides and heads with Nu Finish (actually a car polish). Then try recording with a fresh, new tape. If the drop-out on channel one is still there, you will have to troubleshoot further - head condition, switch contact cleaning, potentiometer servicing,electronics, etc. Go for the low hanging fruit first!
Jim Legere
Halifax, NS
Canada

iamdamosuzuki
audio school

Post by iamdamosuzuki » Thu Apr 02, 2020 6:46 am

thanks for the reply! i gave the heads a good cleaning with isopropyl alcohol before recording and after discovering the issue, but i'll give the entire tape path a once over and see if that helps! thanks :mrpink:

iamdamosuzuki
audio school

thanks for the reply! i gave the heads a good cleaning with isopropyl alcohol before recording and after discovering the issue, but i'll give the entire tape path a once over and see if that helps! thanks :mrpink:

iamdamosuzuki
audio school