Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

winky dinglehoffer
buyin' a studio

Re: Latest gear you've acquired.....

Post by winky dinglehoffer » Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:04 am

markjazzbassist wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:02 am
1978 Jen SX-2000 Synthetone Analog Synthesizer.

1975 Oberheim VCF-200 Pedal -
Excellent Acquisitions! I had one of the Oberheim pedals for a while & it really was awesome--the sound was great & it was far less fiddly than other VCF pedals I've used. & the Jen sounds like an amazing synth--I'm slightly jealous!

vernier
pushin' record

Post by vernier » Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:58 pm

shedshrine wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:25 am
Scodiddly wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 5:37 am
shedshrine wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:22 pm
Cool!

I was thinking of maybe swapping out all the old standard screws on mine for some fresh chrome blingy allen socket bolts...nah.

or maybe chrome blingy philllips head screws with white teflon spacers. hmm..
..nah.

or maybe a gold orange red Chameleon Pearl essence paint job, with a black powder coated speaker grill. Yeah!

...nah.
Oh yeah, and with flames around the power inlet!
Two prong 50's style as on all my gear. Getting shocked keeps me young. It's all good.

antbar
ass engineer

Post by antbar » Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:09 pm

Hi all - I *think* this is my first post on the Tape Op board. Who can remember anything anymore, though, right?

I've got a DBX160XL on the way. I grabbed a Chameleon Labs 7802 compressor not long back but am convinced I'm too dim to use it properly. I like the soft & warm vibe it gives to vocals, but I think I'd like squashed & warm instead. Right before buying the 7802 I picked up a 7602. Now that I love. Definitely thicks up my voice is a nice way, which my voice needs and appreciates. And I'm moving from a Rode NT2 to an Aston Origin. Vocal chain, innit!
"Putting the pop in unpopular since 1967"

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:11 am

antbar wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:09 pm
Hi all - I *think* this is my first post on the Tape Op board. Who can remember anything anymore, though, right?

Look to the right side of yer post:
antbar
audio school graduate

I love that dbx unit (mine - and likely yours - is 160XT ...) - I use mine on all my bass tracks after a The Brick (parallel to a VC3Q) and am digging the same chain on vocals.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

antbar
ass engineer

Post by antbar » Fri Apr 10, 2020 2:58 pm

Ha.
vvv wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:11 am
antbar wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:09 pm

Look to the right side of yer post:
antbar
audio school graduate

I love that dbx unit (mine - and likely yours - is 160XT ...) - I use mine on all my bass tracks after a The Brick (parallel to a VC3Q) and am digging the same chain on vocals.
Ha. Well, so much for my being oblivious in public! Now, THIS certainly is my first post!

(Edit: Yes, 160XT is far more likely what I've ordered! I'm only just starting to pick up rack gear, so maybe an XL would go a long way to fill some space quickly, but I'm sure I'll dig whatever shows up in the UPS truck. Vocals and bass are the main squashable ambitions I have for it...)

Also, I've ended up with an SCI Drumtraks. Lovely "basic" and very appealing machine.

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Sat Apr 11, 2020 8:21 am

I've got a DBX 160X that appeared in my studio recently. A client handed it to me. it had been in a live rack and was kind of crusty, but cleaned up and works fine. they are useful to have around for sure.
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sat Apr 11, 2020 9:49 am

I said what I did because, AFAIK, there's a 160A, 160X and 16XT.

There's a 163A and a 163X, also.

And there is a 166XL and 266XL ... they have a gate.

I have the 160XT, the 163X, and the 266 XL and the DOD 866II.

The former is true old school, somehow sounds it. The latter two are near identical, I use 'em for stereo stuff but I had the DOD for years, bought the 266XL for a change -up and it wasn't, and then got the 160XT which is now my bass default, replacing the dbx163X which used to be in my live rig - another fine-sounding vintage piece but without the control options of the 166XT.

I have a few other 'pressors, Symetrix522, a VLA, and RNC, RNLA, an 1176 clone, and the Meek C2 and MC2. Then there are the "channel strips" that have 'em built in, Meek VC1Q and VC3Q and the Eureka. The VC3Q is my other part of the parallel bass chain. The Eureka is a wonderful quick set-up vocal chain, as is the more "vintagey" VC1Q. The others are linked to various pre's or stacked behind other stuff. For example, I love the Eureka, and sending it into the 1176 is even better; the VC1Q often goes into the RNLA, the theory being to mix fast and slow compressors for the smoove.

Totally un-necessary, and clearly the result of years of GAS and a little extra cash and predatory buying used at rock-bottom prices, but as long as I have 'em ... :twisted:
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Post by Recycled_Brains » Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:09 am

digitaldrummer wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 8:21 am
I've got a DBX 160X that appeared in my studio recently. A client handed it to me. it had been in a live rack and was kind of crusty, but cleaned up and works fine. they are useful to have around for sure.
One of the things I wish I never sold. I had a pair at one point. Probably got like 200 each at the time. Totally pointless and I miss em, especially on bass. They are so intuitive.
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

http://maggotbrainny.bandcamp.com

antbar
ass engineer

Post by antbar » Sat Apr 11, 2020 12:15 pm

vvv wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 9:49 am
I said what I did because, AFAIK, there's a 160A, 160X and 16XT.

There's a 163A and a 163X, also.

And there is a 166XL and 266XL ... they have a gate.

I have the 160XT, the 163X, and the 266 XL and the DOD 866II.

The former is true old school, somehow sounds it. The latter two are near identical, I use 'em for stereo stuff but I had the DOD for years, bought the 266XL for a change -up and it wasn't, and then got the 160XT which is now my bass default, replacing the dbx163X which used to be in my live rig - another fine-sounding vintage piece but without the control options of the 166XT.

I have a few other 'pressors, Symetrix522, a VLA, and RNC, RNLA, an 1176 clone, and the Meek C2 and MC2. Then there are the "channel strips" that have 'em built in, Meek VC1Q and VC3Q and the Eureka. The VC3Q is my other part of the parallel bass chain. The Eureka is a wonderful quick set-up vocal chain, as is the more "vintagey" VC1Q. The others are linked to various pre's or stacked behind other stuff. For example, I love the Eureka, and sending it into the 1176 is even better; the VC1Q often goes into the RNLA, the theory being to mix fast and slow compressors for the smoove.

Totally un-necessary, and clearly the result of years of GAS and a little extra cash and predatory buying used at rock-bottom prices, but as long as I have 'em ... :twisted:
The Eureka has been suggested to me as a nice not-costly be-all strip. I ended up with the CL7602 and 7802, before also ordering the 160XT. (Not the 160 Extra Large!) While I'm keen to get more into outboard gear, I'd really rather end up with a reliable one-step-up vocal chain. I know the 7802 is a loved slab of compression, but I'm not sure I have room for one rack unit too many. Every time I need to switch it to Stereo Link mode, I have to move two house plants and a cat.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sat Apr 11, 2020 12:34 pm

I'm like cheap but dedicated when searching stuff out, and so have some OK mid-level gear.
The Eureka is by far the most flexible piece, slightly but not hugely colored, with EQ, compressor, and adjustable impedance in 1U.
The Meek VC1Q is pretty colored, with EQ and compressor, 2U.
Pre-amp wise to compare, I have the small Summit S2BA2-whatever, a racked PM2000 and an Altec 1589B, (all 1U, the Summit is 1/2 width) an ISA1 and a UA110 what are desk-tops, the VC3Q and some cheaper EHX and Studio Projects stuff (30+ years worth).
Of all of 'em, the Eureka is just as good and keeps up, with the valuable addition of the compressor (I seldom use the EQ).
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

antbar
ass engineer

Post by antbar » Sat Apr 11, 2020 1:54 pm

I'm living two lives these last few years, back and forth between Germany and California. After scoring the CL7602 in Cal, and noting a definite improvement in my recorded vocals, I dug out my JoeMeek 3Q when I was last in Berlin. While it's not able to fluff me up as much as the 7602, I'm glad to finally have made a bit of effort. I've always just plugged my mic into my interface and let nature take its course. I think my attitude is odd considering I've had a fair share of sexy studio moments and I know what the right mic/pre/comp etc combo can do for my voice. Still, slow learners win the race (although, often after everyone else has already won the race and gone home...)

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Thu Apr 16, 2020 11:45 am

So I ordered and the other day rec'd a used pedal I'm really digging (Bass Soul Food) from a guy atta different forum.

Then I read some Amazon delivery guy saying, "have mercy!" and to not order non-essential stuffs.

I did think of that, but then thought, well, the seller needs the $ so I'm doing a good thing.
(This came by USPS, BTW, who also apparently needs the $.)

Opinions?

In the mean time, what a great low-gain drive/boost pedal. It's slightly brightening but that's easily dealt with, and it makes my little SS Ampeg BA108 even more SVT-ish, what I like. And I like blend pedals, what this is.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Thu Apr 16, 2020 1:44 pm

vvv wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 11:45 am
Then I read some Amazon delivery guy saying, "have mercy!" and to not order non-essential stuffs.

Opinions?
I am trying to reduce - almost completely - but not completely - the number of "non-essential" items I order online and get delivered. I am guilty of receiving a package from Sweetwater via Fedex today. I have it in my garage where it got sprayed with Lysol and is now completing the decontamination phase... Probably will unbox it tomorrow and wipe down anything I can't stand to wait any longer to use. Other parts will complete a 3-day waiting period...

but yeah, this was totally non-essential in the grand scheme. :oops: but, I'm trying to balance "must help support the economy" vs. "must prevent infection"
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Thu Apr 16, 2020 6:08 pm

" I'm trying to balance "must help support the economy" vs. "must prevent infection" " +1

Plus, I really needed some more bass dirt. :twisted:

I'll note my son manages a large-chain grocery store, stopped by yesterday with a large pack of TP - told him to make it a weekly delivery. 8)
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

markjazzbassist
tinnitus

Post by markjazzbassist » Thu Apr 16, 2020 6:12 pm

vvv wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 11:45 am
So I ordered and the other day rec'd a used pedal I'm really digging (Bass Soul Food) from a guy atta different forum.

I did think of that, but then thought, well, the seller needs the $ so I'm doing a good thing.
(This came by USPS, BTW, who also apparently needs the $.)

Opinions?

In the mean time, what a great low-gain drive/boost pedal. It's slightly brightening but that's easily dealt with, and it makes my little SS Ampeg BA108 even more SVT-ish, what I like. And I like blend pedals, what this is.
i have stuff (mostly cassettes) arriving daily from USPS, i love the postal service and will continue to ship and buy stuff that is shipped through them to help them stay afloat. the virus is not going to be spread on your package, i'm sorry, turn off the fox news and get some fresh air. it will be sitting on a truck or facility for days on end in the weather, if there was virus, it's long dead. also those people all need jobs and money, my friend works for USPS and is panicking because Trump wants to shut them down and make it private. no thanks. USPS is always cheap for small packages. 3.50 for a cassette, UPS would be 12 dollars. i'm not into that.

also it gives me fun goodies each day to help survive this thing without losing my mind.