Latest gear you've acquired.....

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

vvv
zen recordist

Re: Latest gear you've acquired.....

Post by vvv » Thu Apr 16, 2020 6:24 pm

Yes, I am not concerned re the virus - open the cardboard (surface risk is 24 hours) and don't touch the inside stuff.

Metal/plastic inside risk is 72 hours - took that long to get to me.

Wash hands.

And yep, I thought I would be supporting the UPS, and the guy wanted to sell - I didn't negotiate - paid full asking price.

I gotta a CD (Traffic: Live - Low Spark ...) and a DVD (Gang of Four) today.

Tomorrow I'll work a cuppla hours, do some playing a cuppla hours, wartch the DVD mebbe; 2nite I listen to the CD.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Fri Apr 17, 2020 11:44 am

no, I don't watch Fox but I am playing it safe. I don't who has touched it before it gets to my door or mailbox. certainly the person that delivered it. I'm not certain that they are wearing gloves and even if they are, they touch many packages. So until the CDC says 100% conclusively that it cannot be transferred (they have not been 100% conclusive yet - nobody really knows) then I'll be cautious.

and I figure software is safe - so I just downloaded a 30GB - yes 30 Gigabytes - of orchestral samples for $20.

SONiVox Film Score Companion

obviously have not had time to try it out yet, but for $20 I thought why not?
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Fri Apr 17, 2020 2:30 pm

digitaldrummer wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 11:44 am
no, I don't watch Fox but I am playing it safe. I don't who has touched it before it gets to my door or mailbox. certainly the person that delivered it. I'm not certain that they are wearing gloves and even if they are, they touch many packages. So until the CDC says 100% conclusively that it cannot be transferred (they have not been 100% conclusive yet - nobody really knows) then I'll be cautious.

and I figure software is safe - so I just downloaded a 30GB - yes 30 Gigabytes - of orchestral samples for $20.

Darn. I'm getting this. Why not? ;)
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Post by Recycled_Brains » Fri Apr 17, 2020 3:39 pm

digitaldrummer wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 11:44 am

I've just been opening packages outside, taking the contents out, immediately throwing the packaging away, wiping down anything I feel like needs it and/or transferring it to my own container... then wash my hands. I'm pretty sure you'll be ok if you don't lick the package or something.
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

http://maggotbrainny.bandcamp.com

antbar
ass engineer

Post by antbar » Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:35 pm

The dbx160XT I ordered arrived today. As much as I'd love to suddenly start filling racks with outboard gear, the new item means very likely that my also recently-acquired Chameleon Labs 7802 opto tube comp will have to go. I have pretty basic hardware compressor needs - vocal from pre-amp always plugged in, with the DI input of the pre- also into the compressor for bass. My DAW/interface scene is so primitive that I'm not able to try out the CL7802 as a mix bus comp. Feels silly to hold onto it if I know I can't use it. The dbx serves its simple purpose well.
"Putting the pop in unpopular since 1967"

losthighway
resurrected

Post by losthighway » Sat Apr 18, 2020 5:48 am

antbar wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:35 pm
The dbx160XT I ordered arrived today. As much as I'd love to suddenly start filling racks with outboard gear, the new item means very likely that my also recently-acquired Chameleon Labs 7802 opto tube comp will have to go. I have pretty basic hardware compressor needs - vocal from pre-amp always plugged in, with the DI input of the pre- also into the compressor for bass. My DAW/interface scene is so primitive that I'm not able to try out the CL7802 as a mix bus comp. Feels silly to hold onto it if I know I can't use it. The dbx serves its simple purpose well.
But what if you want to compress something different. If those two were my options the Chameleon would be my first thing to try on bass. Then again, this is a typical prejudice for a gear lover: why wouldn't you want all of the compressors?

antbar
ass engineer

Post by antbar » Sat Apr 18, 2020 8:37 am

losthighway wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 5:48 am
antbar wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:35 pm
But what if you want to compress something different. If those two were my options the Chameleon would be my first thing to try on bass. Then again, this is a typical prejudice for a gear lover: why wouldn't you want all of the compressors?
I'm kind of a gear-primitive. The dbx, after trying it out for a bit, does me well enough. I don't know why I didn't get on with the CL - I really expected to. Maybe the combo of CL7602 into CL7802 is too much warmth and softness and color for my taste.

I'm also a bit of a wallet-primitive at the moment, so I'm only keeping gear I'm using full time. The thought is that I can prob sell the 7802 for what I paid, and buy another someday for around the same cost. They don't seem to wobble in value too much. I'm happy with the dbx for the moment, so onward!
"Putting the pop in unpopular since 1967"

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Post by Recycled_Brains » Tue Apr 21, 2020 7:04 am

Ordered a XQP Colorupter kit from DIYRE and a 500-series test jig so that calibrating my new CAPI compressor kit won't be such a pain in the ass.
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

http://maggotbrainny.bandcamp.com

Mark
tinnitus

Post by Mark » Tue Apr 21, 2020 7:49 am

Focusrite Scarlett 2i2. Thanks to Dwlb, Rigsby, Sunsetyellow, Bystander, JoeySimms, Eli, Paul and Eeldip. :D
WWRHS?

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Tue Apr 21, 2020 3:33 pm

Mark wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 7:49 am
WWRHS? :D
"What would Robyn Hitchcock Say?"

It's hard for one to know really, he's quite prone verbally to go off into the ether-sphere in any direction possible.
I quite like that about him.

Mark
tinnitus

Post by Mark » Wed Apr 22, 2020 4:37 am

No. Whatever Would Robert Have Said? As in Robert J. Van de Graff.
WWRHS?

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Wed Apr 22, 2020 11:24 am

Mark wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 4:37 am
No. Whatever Would Robert Have Said? As in Robert J. Van de Graff.
Hadn't heard that one. Didn't realize the band's namesake was a static electricity machine either.
I do know I've got Pawn Hearts and Godbluff on vinyl and that Peter Hamill is an incredibly intense existential singer!

Mark
tinnitus

Post by Mark » Wed Apr 22, 2020 2:25 pm

Hell yeah :D
WWRHS?

losthighway
resurrected

Post by losthighway » Fri Apr 24, 2020 4:54 pm

I just got a Promark Sizzler-- you know the mardi gras beads looking attachment that lays on your ride cymbal to make soothing white noise.

Not the biggest gear purchase of my year, but kind of neat. I'm working on a delicate song for a covid collaboration and need a brushes type of drum track.

markjazzbassist
tinnitus

Post by markjazzbassist » Sat Apr 25, 2020 7:15 am

losthighway wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 4:54 pm
I just got a Promark Sizzler-- you know the mardi gras beads looking attachment that lays on your ride cymbal to make soothing white noise.

Not the biggest gear purchase of my year, but kind of neat. I'm working on a delicate song for a covid collaboration and need a brushes type of drum track.
similar to a rivets on a ride type sound? had a drummer that found an old ride and put the rivets in it, was pretty cool for jazz.