pan your drums out of the center

Post by joninc » Thu May 07, 2020 4:48 pm

i dare you. :P
the new rules : there are no rules

losthighway
resurrected

Re: pan your drums out of the center

Post by losthighway » Thu May 07, 2020 5:53 pm

I often have overheads about 60% on each side (depending on the overhead technique) and toms about 30% does that count?

I've been doing some weirder quarantine indulgent recording where there's second snare parts. I panned the snare for that.

markjazzbassist
tinnitus

Post by markjazzbassist » Fri May 08, 2020 5:16 am

listen to jazz man, they are often panned outside of center (the whole kit). i dig the whole pan it how they are setup physically thing.

losthighway
resurrected

Post by losthighway » Fri May 08, 2020 5:20 am

markjazzbassist wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 5:16 am
listen to jazz man, they are often panned outside of center (the whole kit). i dig the whole pan it how they are setup physically thing.
Yes, and in terms of audiophile perspective, some of those Blue Note and Impulse albums are untouchably perfect sounding.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Fri May 08, 2020 10:58 am

I'm into old 'trane and Monk and Miles and lotsa that stuff - love it, and the panning just seems right, especially on the live recordings.

But, I cannot listen to Jeff Beck Group in cans.

My typical drum panning is OH's at 8:30 and 3:30, with HH at 10:30, toms and cymbals somewhere between 11:00 and 2 or 3:00, snare and kick mostly centered or just a RHCH off.

Percussion is my stunt trick - lately I do back-n-forth for shakers and tambos, etc.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Fri May 08, 2020 6:31 pm

A lot of the old jazz records have drums slightly off center, and sometimes the lead instrument is the other side. There are times when there's a cool ambience of drums in the lead instrument that spreads it out.

For me, generally I'm stereo micing the whole thing so BD and SD are straight up, and everything else is in relation to that FROM THE DRUMMER'S PERSPECTIVE. :P

DrummerMan
george martin

Post by DrummerMan » Fri May 08, 2020 9:58 pm

These days (meaning the past few years) I almost always hard pan the OHs, which are often Recorderman-ish. Last recording my band did I decided I wanted to add some some tom mics to the rack toms and I had to premix them in with the overheads. I didnt think it through and I didnt pan everything wide enough on the sub mix and am now kicking myself that they're not as wide as our previous recordings. My band partner noticed too and we're considering some artificial stereo widening to compensate. I tried it out on the mix myself and liked it but we'll see if the mixing engineer is down...
Geoff Mann
composer | drummer | Los Angeles, CA

digitaldrummer
ghost haunting audio students

Post by digitaldrummer » Sat May 09, 2020 9:01 am

drumsound wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 6:31 pm
everything else is in relation to that FROM THE DRUMMER'S PERSPECTIVE.
I know this is a religious war but I've never understood that. You and I (as drummers) may get to see about half our shows from either side, but most people are not in the band. They are in the audience, so I always mix "audience perspective" or if you are a left handed drummer than you can pretend I'm mixing drummer's perspective for you... but then again if I knew I was mixing a left-handed drummer I'd still mix audience perspective.

But I suppose the truth is on a recording most people don't know (or care) if the drummer was setup right or left handed so it probably doesn't matter. :lol:

sorry for the thread derail... and I will experiment with alternate panning for drums but find it usually only works for something spacey or jazzy where you want put the listener off balance.
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sat May 09, 2020 9:05 am

For me, a non-drummer, "drummer's perspective" is better because, headphones.

I mean, whatever it is when the HH is on the left in cans, with a righty drummer.
Last edited by vvv on Sat May 09, 2020 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

digitaldrummer
ghost haunting audio students

Post by digitaldrummer » Sat May 09, 2020 9:07 am

sure, but if I mix it then you'll still get the audience perspective in your phones. :-) unless you're wearing them backward..
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sat May 09, 2020 9:08 am

As a "non-drummer", yer gonna mess up my air-drumming - don't do that. :twisted:
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Sat May 09, 2020 11:06 am

I've said this a TON of times. The only people who give a rat's ass about player's or audience perspective are engineers and some drummers. The reason I know this is because once upon a time I would ask clients if they had a preference. It was news to everyone that didn't have a little recording rig (back in the day ONE member of a band MIGHT have a home rig) that there was even an option. I stopped asking, and I've NEVER had a client even mention it, let alone ask for me to change.

I like to joke and say its the right way, but it really doesn't matter to most people. The true reason I do it is that it helps me retain focus on the mix. If I have the drums audience, it distracts ME. Therefore I'm not doing me best on listening to the WHOLE MIX because I'm distracted by the hats on the right side. I owe it to the song and my clients to not let something so simple to avoid to get in the way.

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Sat May 09, 2020 11:30 am

Mildly amusing story about audience perspective.....years ago, recording a friend's band at my old loft, we were fortunate to have the estimable Zach Barocas on the drums. One of my favorite drummers, an old friend and a big influence. So we record some takes, they all come into the control room to listen to playbacks.

I had the drums panned audience perspective because that is the correct way, no one's ever imagined they were standing BEHIND a band while listening to a record. However I knew that Zach, being a drummer's drummer and a man of strong opinions, liked drummer's perspective. And I knew he'd call me on it sooner or later.

So I sat my friend the bandleader down in my chair, and Zach and I were back on the couch. I'm like, any second now he's gonna bust me. Sure enough, by the time we're into the second verse...

ZB: These drums are panned audience perspective.
me: Indeed they are.
ZB: But that is incorrect!
me: I'm sorry but in this case you're wrong.
ZB: AND WHY IS THAT?
me: *points to bandleader* Because this is his record not yours.
ZB: *thinks about it for a sec, nods* OK.

I couldn't believe I got off that easy. :D

One of the tunes we did is still one of my all-time faves:

https://drewodoherty.bandcamp.com/track/the-robbery

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Sat May 09, 2020 11:36 am

You mean go back to the early days of Stereo Vinyl, where they accidentally remixed mono albums by hard panning stuff?

count me in
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

losthighway
resurrected

Post by losthighway » Sat May 09, 2020 12:07 pm

MoreSpaceEcho wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 11:30 am
Mildly amusing story about audience perspective.....years ago, recording a friend's band at my old loft, we were fortunate to have the estimable Zach Barocas on the drums. One of my favorite drummers, an old friend and a big influence. So we record some takes, they all come into the control room to listen to playbacks.
That guy is a monstrous player. I often think about how J Robbins has gotten to play with not one, but two of the greatest all-time rock drummers.