What music stuffs are ya's doin' today?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

losthighway
resurrected

Re: What music stuffs are ya's doin' today?

Post by losthighway » Wed May 20, 2020 6:20 am

Yesterday I did the most quarantine thing imaginable. I laid down some trumpet tracks...... and I'm not a trumpet player. Just have one laying around the studio.

Yeah, I'm a wind player- but I do the reeds. Anyone with any respect for the fact that brass is just straight up more difficult, knows how absurd this is.

What I did is came up with an arrangement that's only whole notes. I sent an aux send from the trumpet mic to a chromatic tuner and 'discovered' some key notes I needed. I then hit record and in free time repeatedly played the required note while watching the chromatic tuner and making adjustments. Whenever I formed a note that started, sustained, and ended on pitch (or reasonably close) I stopped, added a marker and saved it. Then I sampled these long notes, trimmed to measure length, stacked for some simple two part harmony, and then overdubbed some counterpoint on saxophone (and probably electric harmonium) to add some competence to some very basic horns.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:29 am

Just saw this - very cool.

I don't play or possess any such instruments.

In the past, I would find multitracks, take apart and reconstruct solos note-by-note and/or phrase-by-phrase.

Now, see, I gotta guy ... 8)
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Post by Scodiddly » Tue Jun 02, 2020 3:26 pm

losthighway wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 6:20 am
Yesterday I did the most quarantine thing imaginable. I laid down some trumpet tracks...... and I'm not a trumpet player. Just have one laying around the studio.
Story I read somewhere is that Pete Townshend did all the string tracks on "Quadrophenia", on a cello he bought just for the purpose.

Guess having your own studio really pays off when it comes to not having to worry about the clock ticking!

vernier
pushin' record

Post by vernier » Sat Jun 06, 2020 7:14 pm

Drum kit workout. That's about it.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sat Jun 06, 2020 8:37 pm

3 songs recorded with 1 stereo Martin acoustic and 1 vocal, emailed to my collab'r near Toronto.

1 song with bass, drums, lead and backing vocals re-sent (1st sent Thursday) to my collab'r in London after editing the bass to suit his request.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Sat Jun 20, 2020 2:02 pm

Showin' my girl https://www.youtube.com/user/jayglol/videos this guy's reaction videos on YouTube. His pure joy of music is infectious.

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Post by Recycled_Brains » Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:02 am

drumsound wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 2:02 pm
Showin' my girl https://www.youtube.com/user/jayglol/videos this guy's reaction videos on YouTube. His pure joy of music is infectious.
Along the same veins, these guys are great too. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJPOmO ... PWFgeE50hQ
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

http://maggotbrainny.bandcamp.com