Coronavirus Plans (what are yours?)

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

digitaldrummer
ghost haunting audio students

Re: Coronavirus Plans (what are yours?)

Post by digitaldrummer » Mon Apr 13, 2020 6:34 am

ok, jumping in after just watching/reading for a bit.... I've started to get more requests for recording drum tracks so I've got more to work on now. I find that after holidays or long weekends I see the results of folks that finally had time to write new songs... So I am happy to see that some are able to tap into their creative sides while they are stuck at home. Hopefully that will keep most of us sane (if its not too late).

So when that's not happening, then I've been doing some writing myself. Some of it I'm sketching out with MIDI instruments to create demos and hoping some day they might get real instruments. And I think I finally need to look into some of the music services (like Taxi). Also doing some remote work with some band members (although it's a slightly different group of folks than the regular band since not all of them have studios/home studios...). But it's good because I have several other recording projects (bands that have come in to record) that are on hold until we can meet in person again...

also, thinking (probably too much) about my studio setup and making a few adjustments. for example, I have 2 "room mics" that have been up on stands in the same exact position for at least 5 years now, so I'm going to mount those on a permanent fixture (small boom arm mounted to the walls) and regain the use of 2 of my MC-125 boom stands - which I may redeploy to hold drum overhead mics, and be able to position them in a way that is not so close to the drums and other stands... so yeah, minor improvements that I would not normally take time for.

I'm also very tempted to get a couple more 500-series kits - CAPI or Hairball, but I don't really need more preamps or other outboard right now, so I'm trying to show some restraint..
Last edited by digitaldrummer on Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

4theboids
audio school

Post by 4theboids » Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:37 am

Now in the process of writing lyrics and music for a 3rd Talk To Bears album.

So far I've laid down some basic instrumental beds for 4 songs, working on lyrics too. My subjects/targets are bears, dimetrodons, the wedding/industrial complex, partially fulfilled dreams and the Ray Conniff Singers and electric trains so far.

So thankful to have a home setup I can create and stay busy with.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Thu Apr 16, 2020 11:45 am

Dropped a fiver EP on Sunday (linked below).

Bass and drums on 5 more done.

I ordered and the other day rec'd a used pedal I'm really digging (Bass Soul Food) from a guy atta different forum.

Then I read some Amazon delivery guy saying "have mercy!" and to not order non-essential stuffs.

I did think of that, but then thought, well, the seller needs the $ so I'm doing a good thing.
(This came by USPS, BTW, who also apparently needs the $.)

I'm-a put this question over here if you wanna give a opinion.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

alexdingley
buyin' a studio

Post by alexdingley » Mon May 25, 2020 10:48 am

Update: I'm gonna spend as much studio time with my daughter as possible — 

...and then maybe I'll re-build some acoustic treatments for this room

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Mon May 25, 2020 11:31 am

I've published 35 songs so far.

I am currently in the middle of a 10 song project (5 completed except tweak-mixes, may publish separately) with a pro from the Toronto area on upright bass, guitar, uke, congas, some vox, etc.

My little acoustic demo-type thing has graduated to a full-on collaboration!

Still wish we coulda got this going ...
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Mon May 25, 2020 12:30 pm

alexdingley wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 10:48 am
Update: I'm gonna spend as much studio time with my daughter as possible — 

...and then maybe I'll re-build some acoustic treatments for this room
This place needs a like button. This is awesome!

I'm in the midst of trying to figure out MS Teams so that my writing partner and I can watch a rough cut of a series we're scoring. Trying to set it up so we can have a video call with the rough cut streaming from one of the computers. My brain is not cut out for this stuff.

digitaldrummer
ghost haunting audio students

Post by digitaldrummer » Mon May 25, 2020 12:52 pm

headphones -- good! don't want to blast the poor kid's ears just yet... :mrgreen:
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

alexdingley
buyin' a studio

Post by alexdingley » Tue May 26, 2020 5:49 am

A.David.MacKinnon wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 12:30 pm
This place needs a like button. This is awesome!

I'm in the midst of trying to figure out MS Teams so that my writing partner and I can watch a rough cut of a series we're scoring. Trying to set it up so we can have a video call with the rough cut streaming from one of the computers. My brain is not cut out for this stuff.
Thanks! And yeah... I’ve never used MS Teams, but if you find that it ends up being a good collab tool, please report back; I’m sure others will benefit from knowing a good way (in fact, if there’s not already a thread about “what tools to use and tips n’ tricks for best collaboration experiences”, then there probably should be.

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Wed May 27, 2020 12:40 pm

MS Teams was making me crazy but I've figured out how to do want I was after with Google Meet. Not sure how it would work for writing/playing together remotely. I'm sure there's latency. For what I'm trying to do at the moment, watch a video and discuss with my partner as it plays, it seems alright.

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Wed May 27, 2020 1:11 pm

A.David.MacKinnon wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 12:30 pm
This place needs a like button.
+1. Congrats Alex!

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Wed May 27, 2020 2:54 pm

Did anuvver fiver, linked below, this time with upright bass and more from a great Canadian muso (pro).
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.