Downsizing advice

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Re: Downsizing advice

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Thu Jun 18, 2020 6:51 am

A few years ago I moved from a large, shared commercial studio back to my home (the basement and then a 1 car garage).
There were lots of things that it didn't make sense to keep. I just didn't have the space. Drum machines got sampled and sold. My CP70 got sold. Extra headphone amps got sold. My extra farfisa and Hammond s6 had to go.
I still track bands and do lots of work for clients so I still need a big mic collection and a decent number of channels. I'm lucky enough that I've still got a decent amount of space and some storage to boot.

Be ruthless about what you need. It's just stuff. Unless it's extra rare you can usually find it again if you decide you can't live without it.

As for the pm1000, some of the smaller PM boards have some of the flavour without taking up the space. I've got a pm700 that's pretty great.

digitaldrummer
ghost haunting audio students

Post by digitaldrummer » Thu Jun 18, 2020 7:23 am

there are also people still selling PM1000 modules, so it's not too difficult to rack up a pair if you really like the sound.
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

Aaron_LaMere
audio school

Post by Aaron_LaMere » Thu Jun 18, 2020 8:40 am

digitaldrummer wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 7:23 am
there are also people still selling PM1000 modules, so it's not too difficult to rack up a pair if you really like the sound.
Yeah, I seriously considered keeping a pair from this board and just having them racked up.
But.. so cool to have the entire board intact. And honestly, any 2 quality inputs will do just fine for me.
I have other options..

Aaron_LaMere
audio school

Post by Aaron_LaMere » Thu Jun 18, 2020 8:45 am

Zacharia Matilda wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 4:53 am

It’s good to remember that your recordings will still kind good when this is all over. Or, at least in my case, a big change like this won’t necessarily make your work sound worse. Your comment about the desk sounding like butter really spoke to me. These are the things I tell myself when thinking about getting rid of mics, amps etc.

I hate change.
I hate change too. But then I've come to realize, that after its a pain in the ass to reset... sometimes it's refreshing.

The PM1000 is just like any of the gear that I really like..
it's hard to get rid of, but admittedly, this one is super under-utilized already.

and heck yeah, the sounds will still be good I hope! I just won't have this particular color option available going forward.

standup
re-cappin' neve

Post by standup » Fri Jun 19, 2020 3:47 pm

I’m an amateur messin’ around in the basement. But I did a major downsize once (maybe twice)? There was a relationship where moving might have been in the picture. At the time I had an MCI 618 console that barely fit in my space, you could turn sideways to squeeze by in one side or the other. The 618 took 2-3 people to move (breaking a sweat if 2), it was barely the size of the bed of the small Nissan pickup I had at the time.

I had an Ecoplate. Not as big as an EMT or anything, two people could move it without breaking a sweat. I got rid of both thinking I needed much more compact equipment.

I had a Soundworkshop 1280b for several years, a mixer you could carry under one arm.

These days I have a decent sized basement space, cluttered with guitars and amps. Recording gear is in a 8-space rack, a 16-space rack, and a couple lunchboxes.

If the next move requires downsizing I can be pretty flexible.

No console now, mixing ITB.

vernier
pushin' record

Post by vernier » Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:51 am

I've downsized several times in the past and probably gained experience from it. Replacing your mixer could be a challenge. If looking for something small to replace it with, I'd try to stay with a (before ICs) board. Otherwise, may as well just mix from the computer.