Cabling: What's the cheapest 24 channel TRS snake you'd buy?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

vvv
zen recordist

Re: Cabling: What's the cheapest 24 channel TRS snake you'd buy?

Post by vvv » Fri Jun 19, 2020 2:01 pm

https://www.undertoneaudio.com/products ... ment-cable

US$119.00 :roll:

Altho', if ya cost it like a pedal ...

"The VARI-CAP tm essentially liberates a guitarist from just one tone per cable -- aguitarist can now scan through 16 different tones with just one cable."

https://tapeop.com/reviews/gear/113/var ... ent-cable/
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:01 pm

I'm not that into the sound of the rolloffs where I'd buy a special cable for dialing it in. I usually pick the cleanest, loudest sounding cable and then eq it with the volume or tone on the guitar, the amp, the mic placement, etc., etc. I only pick a rolled off [to me] sounding cable if I know I'm going for the murkiest sound possible, which is hardly ever.

Typing this is making me want to try a rolled off one for my DI efforts. There is this top fizz in the sound which I've come to believe is often there in guitar signals, but is usually rolled off at the 12" speaker.

I learned from the below video that the edge dials in each wireless pack on each guitar by putting in a capacitor in the cable leading from the guitar to the wireless. The capacitance is determined by plugging the guitar into the amp with a cable and then A/B'ing capacitors until it sounds like how that guitar sounds with a 20-30' cable (not positive about the length they use). It could all be bullshit, but it works for the edge. He is one meticulous bastard.

Rig Rundown - U2's The Edge
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDYfXvGuaL4
Carl Keil

Almost forgot: Please steal my drum tracks. and more.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sat Jun 20, 2020 12:35 am

He can afford to be.

Me, I hook up a cord. If it doesn't work, I hook up another cord. Sometimes I want a rubber coat (for dirty floors, they clean easier) but I prefer fabric wrapped just cause I like how they look; I use curls when space is tight.

I have never, not once, changed a cord for sound, altho' I suppose I've tweaked EQ in response to something that might have included the cord ...

Jacks are a different story, but again related to functionality vs. sound.

Re guitar cords, I usually use two - one to and another from the pedal board. I use multiple pedals; cords are about the least influence on my sounds.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.