8)
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Re: shedshrine 3.0 build

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:18 am

Looking good! I saw a pointy headstocked guitar amongst your treasures, once you're all set up I think you owe me some shredding.

winky dinglehoffer
buyin' a studio

Post by winky dinglehoffer » Sat Jun 27, 2020 1:04 pm

MoreSpaceEcho wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:18 am
Looking good! I saw a pointy headstocked guitar amongst your treasures, once you're all set up I think you owe me some shredding.
A little shred shine from the shed shrine, perhaps?

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Sat Jun 27, 2020 2:19 pm

winky dinglehoffer wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 1:04 pm
MoreSpaceEcho wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:18 am
A little shred shine from the shed shrine, perhaps?
(Cut to gristled pirate wistfully taking down a red pointy guitar from the wall. As he walks across room absently strumming big ringy cowboy chords, he whispers..):
"Aye, there been a time when some fingers flew over them shark-fin abalones."
He continues strumming, then grimaces from the string buzz off the stupidly worn frets.
"Arrrgh, could've used a lighter touch."

F@cking Wailing by More Space Echo is still the benchmark fer this pirate :worthy:. Me, I was just flailing about in comparison.

Here's a shot of my grandmother's antique sofa. made around 1850 I'm told. Usually covered in blankets and large pillows at each end. Been re-upholstered a few times judging by family photos.
In any case, with the garage door open and the wind in the trees, I'm going to sit on it lengthwise and listen to the current project playback emanating from the open door behind me. Pondering big questions like..

"Do you think anyone will notice that brutal clam in the break, or how the lyrics make absolutely no sense whatsoever? Or "Maybe I shouldn't have given the vocal nod to a cat"
Scodiddly wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 6:18 pm

Do you mic the cat with a 57 or go direct instead?

Dandelion, or "D-Spot" is a lovable wingnut nutjob of a cat, so we're definitely going with the "unbalanced" input.

Some treasures unearthed..

Last edited by shedshrine on Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:49 pm, edited 10 times in total.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Sat Jun 27, 2020 6:16 pm

That couch is GLORIOUS! I'm a big fan of off axis/away from the controls listening and that would be the perfect compliment to that technique.

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Sat Jun 27, 2020 6:42 pm

drumsound wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 6:16 pm
That couch is GLORIOUS! I'm a big fan of off axis/away from the controls listening and that would be the perfect compliment to that technique.
Thanks Tony, I agree!.
Yeah, it was quite the statement in the living room, but just too huge apparently. It's really only good for one person, fully reclined with big pillows behind you. Sitting on it "proper" makes you want to sit bolt upright and drink tea. (nothing inherently wrong with tea mind you). I've defended it for years in the face of not so subtle discussions concerning making way for more practical seating. It did finally get the boot from the living room, but "Bessy" is still in the house.

RE: off axis/away from the controls listening.
Yeah, agreed. Being laid out relaxed and having the mix waft out from another room, giving your ears a different ambience/timbre/perspective/what-have-you, can make all the difference.

Stacked up top there are a Presonus MP20 (non-Jensen transformer), Deltalabs Supertimeline (previously owned by J. Robert Lennon aka inverseroom), Korg A3, Lexicon LXP-15 (with Version II upgrade!), an Alesis masterlink ...and a Tape Op ribbon mic in it's silver case off to their left.

Will be fun to remix these old adat tunes. That is if this 20 bit VCR-on-steroids will still start up and run properly. I had the original 16 bit black face which I sold to a friend, passed when the 18 bit xt came out, and picked up this adat xt20 from Sonoma State's recording program after they had dubbed everything in their library and moved on to pro tools as I recall.
I didn't know what to call the recordings early on, so I used my first name because it had the same letter as music. Yeah, the creativity was fairly bursting out of me even then. :)

And a dusty Symetrix 501. That's at least worth two shots. With the distressor and the VLA around, this guy has been literally collecting dust.

My first four track. Pristine except for the fact that it took a tumble in it's heavily foam protected case. The impact of which managed to lodge the heads in the up or engaged position permanently. No combination of cycling the surrounding parts or control button pushes, reboots etc. could ever get it to go back down.
Last edited by shedshrine on Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Post by Scodiddly » Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:45 am

shedshrine wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 2:19 pm
Scodiddly wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 6:18 pm

Do you mic the cat with a 57 or go direct instead?
Dandelion, or "D-Spot" is a lovable wingnut nutjob of a cat, so we're definitely going with the "unbalanced" input.

I've usually found that there's a lot of noise when using that output, but YMMV.

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:24 am

Y'know, that was my finding as well. I tried a different approach after that, using an altec xlr to 1/4" adaptor with an Alice mic. I hear they are popular in your neck of the woods. In any case, cats have an internal 48v auto-nervous system so I didn't have to worry about phantom. Again, connection resulted in a noisy front end and runaway (far away, like across the street) oscillation. I finally realized I had been overthinking the whole affair, put up a fur-mount lavalier wireless and was done with it.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sun Jun 28, 2020 1:25 pm

One would perhaps predict a scratchy sound, littered with gravelly-sounding artifacts, resulting in messy tracking with "a little hair onnit".
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:31 pm

One would! :lol:

And I did,
but because It's all too easy and all too common to cast aspersions on other people's "helpful" opinions online,
I held myself in check with Scodiddly's
because, well, I didn't want things to get all catty.

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Post by Scodiddly » Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:49 pm

Well, we all have tails to tell when in the right company.

Build that Alice yerself, shed? Doesn't look exactly like the usual cutouts.

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Sun Jun 28, 2020 3:44 pm

I bought it from an offering by markmazoo in the Tape Op Buy/Sell/Trade section.

My only small-diaphragm condenser mic. Percussion and acoustic guitar thus far. We replaced a weighted 88 key casio with a real acoustic piano, an old Baldwin Hamilton upright, a couple years back when it became apparent the kid was going to stick with piano, so I'm looking forward to mic'ing it up there as well!
(the weighted key casio is in her room for headphone practice. The mrs plays as well. I'm the hack.)

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:29 pm

Under a dresser...

Stacked for a photo. A Tascam 238 with dbx noise reduction and a Tascam 238S with Dolby S noise reduction. These were arguably the zenith of multitrack cassette tech, you could add any mixer you liked. I drooled over these when they were new. Once enough time had passed enough to where I now had more disposable income than time I was able to snag used ones. The S version sounds better, more open and detailed, but the dbx has it's thicker sounding charms.

DBX one arrived with the failed regulator jet zoom capstan which ebay/paypal had to step in to rectify, and the "S" was still working with it's as far as i know original capstan.

Both versions have poor quality silver capacitors in the capstan motor board,The "S" has these tiny silver capacitors that are doomed to fail in the dolby section of each tracks daughter boardas well. Tiny, fiddly work to replace these surface mount suckers, don't know that I'll ever have it done.

(EDIT: had it done. Need a tech comfortable with surface mount work. Not cheap, but I felt his fee was fair (what’s rock solid dependability with your 40-year-old deck worth to you?) worth the expense and works and sounds great)

These old analog units are getting long in the tooth.. I'm hesitant to use them for new projects for fear of breakdown.

I located a guy in Vallejo in the North Bay who still fixes old audio equipment, but that was before all this virus fun hit. If he's still around, i would like to give him some business if the cost is not prohibitive.

Edit: I ended up going with a tech in the northwest. He did a fantastic job during a very stressful time in his life. And did a fantastic job. Thank you so much sir. I need to get your contact information up here with your blessing)

Edit ll: "Jeffrey of Analog Only in Portland, Oregon" and post my email address as well (sales@analog-only.com)

There is definitely a nostalgic tactile joy in working with these old beasts. Particularly the S unit with a good mixer. Knowing you are kind of wringing out the maximum the technology was capable of with multi-track recording.

Last edited by shedshrine on Mon Jan 08, 2024 5:01 pm, edited 8 times in total.

Magnetic Services
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Magnetic Services » Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:31 pm

drumsound wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:49 pm
I'll PM you both Bob's email.
I'm interested too!