Dolby NR suggestions?

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
JASIII
george martin

Dolby NR suggestions?

Post by JASIII » Fri Jan 16, 2004 3:10 pm

Hi, I'm putting together my first home studio, starting with a Otari 8 track. I'd like to know what you all think about how to add a Dolby unit to my system. What type of unit should I be looking for? Do I even want Dolby? All opinions/anecdotes/horror stories/ appreciated. Thanks.
"If you will starve unless you become a rock star, then you have bigger problems than whether or not you are a rock star. " - Steve Albini

JASIII
george martin

Re: Dolby NR suggestions?

Post by JASIII » Sat Jan 17, 2004 8:25 am

More specifically, which Dolby unit should I be looking to purchase?
"If you will starve unless you become a rock star, then you have bigger problems than whether or not you are a rock star. " - Steve Albini

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Post by @?,*???&? » Sat Jan 17, 2004 9:24 am

Your deck should have a decent signal-to-noise ratio. Probably in the 65db range. You can get that up to around 72 db if you go with a +6 or better alignment with a high print tape. I've had situations in the past working on entire Dolby SR sessions where I just didn't want to hear the 'sound' of the Dolby on certain tracks because things don't sound as open with it. That said, mixing to 2-track SR really spreads out a stereo image in a way that I can't explain. Guitars through the comb-filtering aspects of Dolby A or B really rock too, but cymbals certainly don't get any better.

If your deck doesn't have it, I say don't bother with it unless your noise is really an issue. You can add noise at many stages of the process and if you make sure your front end is clean, then you probably have little to worry about.

JASIII
george martin

Post by JASIII » Mon Jan 19, 2004 9:24 am

So if I'm using 456 at +6 and make sure my signals in are quiet I shouldn't notice much noise? Any other tips for getting around using Dolby?

cyrusjulian
takin' a dinner break

Post by cyrusjulian » Mon Jan 19, 2004 3:38 pm

Hi JASIII,

I too have an Otari 8 track and when I first bought mines, started looking into adding Dolby NR also as I'd heard really good things about it. In fact, Eddie Cellitti (can't remember how to spell his last name) even answered my question in an older issue of TapeOp. What I found was that Dolby NR really helps when you have about 16-24 tracks playing since even slight noise on that many tracks will be more audible. But since me and you only have 8 tracks, noise shouldn't be too much of an issue so IMO, you don't need it. If anybody else would like to add more feedback or correct me, please do so. Just my opinion.

JASIII
george martin

Post by JASIII » Mon Jan 19, 2004 4:24 pm

Thanks, I hadn't thought about 16 or 24 tracks being more susceptible to noise issues than 8. I'm liking this, sounds like I'll save some $!