Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Re: I highly recommend REAPER

Post by digitaldrummer » Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:30 am

Brett Siler wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:02 am
I still have both my Digi 001 and TDM system with my Mac G4 10.3.9! None of that shit sells for anything so I'm just hanging onto as a backup/nostalgia.
if you try to pull up a really old session, chances are some missing plugin or other new "feature" will bite you anyway, so probably not a bad plan.... :mrgreen:
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Sat Mar 28, 2020 2:39 pm

Brett Siler wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:02 am
trodden wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:21 am
You and I have similar Pro Tools timelines, starting with the dig 001 back in 2001 or so and moving up to a TDM rig.
I still have both my Digi 001 and TDM system with my Mac G4 10.3.9! None of that shit sells for anything so I'm just hanging onto as a backup/nostalgia.
You never know when it will come back in use!

I had the Digi 001 and the AI-3 both modded by black lion audio around 2008 maybe? and was using them up to 2011. Made some great records with that setup. I can't remember who i sold the 001 to, but the AI-3 is still in use for another set of outputs with my 192. I think the computer is up in the attic. I've been basically studio-less between late 2015 until 2017, and have been using my living room since then. Life has just been too busy to start and afford the garage build out.

numberthirty
steve albini likes it

Post by numberthirty » Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:44 pm

MoreSpaceEcho wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:42 am
Love REAPER, can't say enough good things about it as a DAW and Cockos as a company. I'd echo (ha!) everything crow said, and add that it's super stable, pretty much never crashes ever.

The only bad thing I can think of is the default theme is ugly, but of course there are 80 billion other themes you can use, and if one of those isn't quite to your liking, you can get in there and tweak away. So great!
While I'm way late, I'd have to echo what crow said as well.

Not just because I'm part of the "Not Actually On The Payroll..." street team, either.

There are at least a few corners if the internet that I can think of that will actually put the effort into helping you out if you are running into an issue. Never mind all of the oddball "No, The Software Actually Is That Bulletproof..." things that Reaper will do.

I won't really drag this out a whole lot longer. Just suggest that folks at least think over trying it out if they find themselves at some sort of a fork in the road.

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:30 pm

I’ve been using Reaper for maybe 12 or so years. It’s great, and editing is a breeze. I’ve tried MixBuss, but couldn’t get into it. Now that I’m experimenting with Luna, I think I’ll continue to do all my tracking and editing in Reaper and then migrate the project to Luna to mix.

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Post by Scodiddly » Sat Jul 11, 2020 3:56 pm

I've been using the Harrison Mixbus, and gotten pretty good at doing stuff in it. But I actually don't like the EQ, the default channel EQ is a 3-band without Q/width and I just don't like the sound of it. And it doesn't come with any EQ plugin that has the standard modern parametric EQ.

Might give Reaper a try, I did look at one of the videos just now.

darjama
tinnitus

Post by darjama » Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:51 am

I love reaper and wholeheartedly endorse giving it a try. To see how you like the EQ can try using it's as a free vst plugin along with some other of it's basic effects: https://www.reaper.fm/reaplugs/

apropos of nothing
dead but not forgotten

Post by apropos of nothing » Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:05 am

In Reaper I've taken a session PC --> Mac --> PC --> Linux. No hassle loading in any environment, and no discern-able differences in playback--didn't do a cancel check, but presume it would pass. The in-built plugs are not decorated with crazy retro graphics, but they sound nice, and are standard between platforms. ;)

darjama
tinnitus

Post by darjama » Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:33 am

Just thought I'd mention that I've restarted a reaper mix competition that Dave Keehl had been running previously. Visit https://reamixed.com for more details.

losthighway
resurrected

Post by losthighway » Fri Dec 18, 2020 10:19 am

I'm resurrecting this thread because I might have to jump software platforms when I get a new computer later on if I can't reload my outdated/preferred software (Sony Vegas 9.0, I know, I'm weird). Quick question:

Can you freely nudge audio tracks in the software with a simple click and drag of the mouse?

I was reading through the manual (huge!) and saw some info about nudging things by a value you type in, but couldn't find the basic, dumb sliding around that I frequently do to adjust delay times, play with phase relationships, fix late bass notes etc.

Magnetic Services
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Magnetic Services » Fri Dec 18, 2020 10:45 am

losthighway wrote:
Fri Dec 18, 2020 10:19 am
I'm resurrecting this thread because I might have to jump software platforms when I get a new computer later on if I can't reload my outdated/preferred software (Sony Vegas 9.0, I know, I'm weird). Quick question:

Can you freely nudge audio tracks in the software with a simple click and drag of the mouse?

I was reading through the manual (huge!) and saw some info about nudging things by a value you type in, but couldn't find the basic, dumb sliding around that I frequently do to adjust delay times, play with phase relationships, fix late bass notes etc.
Yes, you can! You can move items freely, snap to grid, or lock them in place. And I think you can make it nudge to different values (samples, frames, etc.) depending on what your timebase is set to.

losthighway
resurrected

Post by losthighway » Fri Dec 18, 2020 11:00 am

Magnetic Services wrote:
Fri Dec 18, 2020 10:45 am
losthighway wrote:

Yes, you can! You can move items freely, snap to grid, or lock them in place. And I think you can make it nudge to different values (samples, frames, etc.) depending on what your timebase is set to.
Okay, awesome. It's clear this software does absolutely everything, I just have to wonder how long it would take to become intuitive and navigable. Right now it looks like a labyrinth to me.

Magnetic Services
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Magnetic Services » Fri Dec 18, 2020 11:22 am

losthighway wrote:
Fri Dec 18, 2020 11:00 am
Magnetic Services wrote:
Fri Dec 18, 2020 10:45 am
losthighway wrote:

Okay, awesome. It's clear this software does absolutely everything, I just have to wonder how long it would take to become intuitive and navigable. Right now it looks like a labyrinth to me.
I've been using it for years and still only scratched the surface. There's a ton of deep functionality, but you can ignore a lot of it and get started pretty quickly. I don't remember it being any more of a learning curve than Pro Tools, etc. The main difference is the parent/child track folders system, which I think is actually the best part!

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Post by Scodiddly » Fri Dec 18, 2020 12:28 pm

I've started using it recently, and still fumbling around looking for things. But in general functionality doesn't seem that difficult to figure out, and I'm getting stuff done.

numberthirty
steve albini likes it

Post by numberthirty » Fri Dec 18, 2020 7:02 pm

Just out of curiosity...

What are the wrinkles/things that seem "Labyrinth..."?

losthighway
resurrected

Post by losthighway » Fri Dec 18, 2020 10:02 pm

numberthirty wrote:
Fri Dec 18, 2020 7:02 pm
Just out of curiosity...

What are the wrinkles/things that seem "Labyrinth..."?
Well, there's a reason I'm not writing a review on the software for a magazine. I've been working on the same idiosyncratic platform for decades, and I'm trying to get "a feel" for the layout of another one by reading the 150 page online manual.

Similar to what folks are saying on here about Reaper, I'm sure there are settings and menus I've never, or have seldom glanced at on my stuff. Some of the perceived labyrinth is probably just the same lauded depth of functionality in the software.

I think it's probably all platform hopping anxiety. I really just wanted a few more people saying, "No I really use it. It's not scary. It looks and works nice once you get used to it. Don't be afraid of change
."