notes on a way simple mod for an AKG C3000

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

ec
ass engineer

notes on a way simple mod for an AKG C3000

Post by ec » Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:05 am

This mod has at least been commented upon before, either here or somewhere else---can't remember. So if it sounds familiar, it probably is. I just did it last night though, so I figured I'd post a few notes.

First, the mic is an older AKG C3000---black body, with that fugly-ass gold and teal trim---not one of the newer C3000Bs. So while I assume they're pretty similar, I can't speak for the 3000B. The mod consists of removing a layer of foam (an "internal windscreen", as it were) mounted almost directly on the front diaphragm, with the intended effect of "opening up" the sound of the mic a bit. As I said, this is isn't a new mod, but here are some specifics I can contribute to anyone contemplating this:

1. Have a small, Torx-style screwdriver handy. The outside screws on the mic are Phillips head, but there are two inside screws holding the top grill piece to the capsule mount that are those Torx star shaped ones.

2. For removing the foam, small needle nose pliers are probably best. On the capsule itself, there is a (plastic?) guard screen positioned between the diaphragm and the foam, with airflow to the diaphragm given by a bunch of circular little holes. The foam is glued (or something) around its perimeter to this guard. I just got a piece of the foam with the pliers and started tugging until it came loose, and then just picked it off piecemeal. The reason I mention this: it might be tempting to cut the foam out with an exacto knife or something, but it's possible that the holes in the guard are big enough to let a knifetip through and puncture the diaphragm. I'm not sure---I didn't try. (durrr)

3. There is a similar piece of foam on the small, back diaphragm. However, the +48V wire attaches right in the middle of the foam and crimps it up. (Not elegant.) I decided to leave that one alone.

So was it worth it? Unfortunately, I lost the test sample I had of the unmolested mic. I put it on a scratch ADAT tape when I got the mic a while ago, and then apparently recorded over it. Go me. Testing it out briefly after the mod, it still sounded a little nasal, (that's it's "character", man!) but possibly a bit more airy, maybe better transients. I'm probably going to be doing some acoustic guitar recording this weekend, so I'll try it out. I recorded some acoustic 12-string stuff with it a while ago, so I'll have a better idea of whether or not it did anything then, and follow up. Also, I'll try to remember to post two fairly uninteresting pictures of the mic's innards, pre- and and post-operation.

Bottom line: easy, quick. Certainly can't make anything worse. If nothing else, a nice way to indulge the urge to take a mic apart and fuck around with it.

Cheers,
-Erik

leftofthedial
pushin' record

Post by leftofthedial » Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:54 am

There is actually a much simpler mod that makes this mic sound much better.

Hit it with a hammer repeatedly until in doesn't work anymore. Then and only then, does it sound better.....
They mostly come at night..... Mostly.

percussion boy
carpal tunnel

Post by percussion boy » Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:07 am

If it's a 3000b, just send it to me.

First ten respondents get a special secret gift.
"The world don't need no more songs." - Bob Dylan

"Why does the Creator send me such knuckleheads?" - Sun Ra

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Re: notes on a way simple mod for an AKG C3000

Post by Scodiddly » Wed Jul 08, 2020 5:27 pm

Since a spammer brought this thread back from purgatory...

I've actually found that some foam on the inside can help attenuate reflections inside the headbasket - found that out when I built a 2" diameter mic and the high end was all harsh. A layer of foam inside smoothed that down nicely and didn't take too much off the top.

And can I tell a story about the TapeOp ribbon mic buy? Everybody, including me, was going in and taking out excess mesh. There was sort of a square mesh box inside the round body with a layer of silk fabric wrapped around it. I tried it both ways and decided I liked it in there, it was breaking up standing waves or something.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:00 pm

Scodiddly wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 5:27 pm
Since a spammer brought this thread back from purgatory...

I've actually found that some foam on the inside can help attenuate reflections inside the headbasket - found that out when I built a 2" diameter mic and the high end was all harsh. A layer of foam inside smoothed that down nicely and didn't take too much off the top.

And can I tell a story about the TapeOp ribbon mic buy? Everybody, including me, was going in and taking out excess mesh. There was sort of a square mesh box inside the round body with a layer of silk fabric wrapped around it. I tried it both ways and decided I liked it in there, it was breaking up standing waves or something.
I actually still use my TOMB ribbons a decent amount. I did a mono OH with one right next to my head on Tuesday. The only mod I want to do is make the yolk longer for easier angling of the mic. I keep one with the yolk outside the XLR. If we could upload photos I'd show the set up.

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Thu Jul 09, 2020 7:39 am

screenshot.jpg
you can attach photos, but you have to make them small. I usually resize them to 800x600 or 640x480 --something really small like that and then I can attach them. I think it is more of a file size limit
Last edited by digitaldrummer on Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:21 am

Or just put them on imgur and link.

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Post by Scodiddly » Thu Jul 09, 2020 1:48 pm

drumsound wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:00 pm
I actually still use my TOMB ribbons a decent amount. I did a mono OH with one right next to my head on Tuesday. The only mod I want to do is make the yolk longer for easier angling of the mic. I keep one with the yolk outside the XLR. If we could upload photos I'd show the set up.
Yeah, we had the option for a different kind of connection didn't we? But nobody figured out that the body-mount XLR would get in the way of the yoke.

Good news - just flip it around to the other side and use your preamp's polarity switch and Bob's your uncle.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Thu Jul 09, 2020 2:43 pm

Scodiddly wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 1:48 pm
drumsound wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:00 pm
Yeah, we had the option for a different kind of connection didn't we? But nobody figured out that the body-mount XLR would get in the way of the yoke.

Good news - just flip it around to the other side and use your preamp's polarity switch and Bob's your uncle.
That makes sense. I just changed the yolk to be on the outside on one.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:46 am

drumsound wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 2:43 pm
I just changed the yolk to be on the outside on one.
It's good that you're coming out your shell, yeah. :twisted:
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Sun Jul 12, 2020 11:50 pm

vvv wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:46 am
drumsound wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 2:43 pm
I just changed the yolk to be on the outside on one.
It's good that you're coming out your shell, yeah. :twisted:
Wah waaah