Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

floid
buyin' a studio

Re: Latest gear you've acquired.....

Post by floid » Fri Jul 17, 2020 4:00 am

markjazzbassist wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:55 pm
Early 70's Ventura Electric Guitar. It's a MIJ lawsuit copy of the Epiphone Al Caiola model. It's a 335 that's sealed and fully hollow (no f holes). 2 humbuckers, vol and vol for the pickups, 4 switches. 2 for each pickup on/off. then 2 for tone on/off for each pickup. it's basically tone on full or fully off. wonderful walnut finish, it plays and sounds amazing, very cheap too. time to sell my 78 musicmaster
Nice.

Just got myself a Conrad Barney Kessel, which is basically a double cutaway 175 with minibuckers. Doesn't quite match my Conrad violin bass.
Debating what to string it with as the guy who sold it to me had it set up with some light gauge roundwounds that are way too bendy for what I'm doing.
Village Idiot.

markjazzbassist
tinnitus

Post by markjazzbassist » Fri Jul 17, 2020 6:55 am

floid wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 4:00 am
markjazzbassist wrote:
Early 70's Ventura Electric Guitar. It's a MIJ lawsuit copy of the Epiphone Al Caiola model. It's a 335 that's sealed and fully hollow (no f holes). 2 humbuckers, vol and vol for the pickups, 4 switches. 2 for each pickup on/off. then 2 for tone on/off for each pickup. it's basically tone on full or fully off. wonderful walnut finish, it plays and sounds amazing, very cheap too. time to sell my 78 musicmaster
Nice.

Just got myself a Conrad Barney Kessel, which is basically a double cutaway 175 with minibuckers. Doesn't quite match my Conrad violin bass.
Debating what to string it with as the guy who sold it to me had it set up with some light gauge roundwounds that are way too bendy for what I'm doing.
Nice! for an archtop for me it's gotta be flatwounds, but i'm not sure if you're going for a real warm/smooth jazzy tone.

floid
buyin' a studio

Post by floid » Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:21 am

markjazzbassist wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 6:55 am
floid wrote:
markjazzbassist wrote:
Nice.

Nice! for an archtop for me it's gotta be flatwounds, but i'm not sure if you're going for a real warm/smooth jazzy tone.
I am.
My local music store only carries D'Addario Chrome 11 in flats, so they've sort of become my default on a few guitars. But starting to get the urge for something different.
I was given a pack of coated DR by a friend, which I liked on my Aria LP until they started flaking like crazy.
Village Idiot.

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:35 am

floid wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:21 am
markjazzbassist wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 6:55 am
floid wrote:

Nice.

I am.
My local music store only carries D'Addario Chrome 11 in flats, so they've sort of become my default on a few guitars. But starting to get the urge for something different.
I was given a pack of coated DR by a friend, which I liked on my Aria LP until they started flaking like crazy.
There was a point in time when I really loved flats. I’m not a jazz guy at all just liked how they cut down on finger noise.

markjazzbassist
tinnitus

Post by markjazzbassist » Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:24 am

the most popular flats are the TI (Thomastik-Infeld) because they are the brightest, longest-lasting, and lowest tension (roundcore w/ silk underlay). However they are very expensive. Although with flats you basically never need to change strings unless you break one, so it could be a lifetime investment. I use Pyramid flats, i have for decades and love them. Hand polished in germany, they are smooth as glass.

losthighway
resurrected

Post by losthighway » Fri Jul 17, 2020 4:41 pm

A pair of Lollar jazz bass pickups and a Badass Bridge. My trusty, Mexican J bass is about to get hot rodded.

roscoenyc
carpal tunnel

Post by roscoenyc » Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:24 am

markjazzbassist wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:24 am
the most popular flats are the TI (Thomastik-Infeld) because they are the brightest, longest-lasting, and lowest tension (roundcore w/ silk underlay). However they are very expensive. Although with flats you basically never need to change strings unless you break one, so it could be a lifetime investment. I use Pyramid flats, i have for decades and love them. Hand polished in germany, they are smooth as glass.
I love the Thomastik-Infeld flat wounds. I think they are worth every penny.
I got mine from www.juststrings.com

apropos of nothing
dead but not forgotten

Post by apropos of nothing » Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:39 am

I have acquired a Gretsch G5422TG Electromatic. I think it's my forever guitar. Has a lot of the tones I've been wanting and not figuring out on other guitars that just come pouring out of it like hot lava. Lurve! :hearts:

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Tue Jul 21, 2020 2:41 pm

A SansAmp Bass Driver. I've only wanted one for over 20 years!

losthighway
resurrected

Post by losthighway » Tue Jul 21, 2020 7:28 pm

trodden wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 2:41 pm
That's a handy little box.

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Post by Recycled_Brains » Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:18 am

trodden wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 2:41 pm
I scoffed at them for so long. Then on my last pre-covid lockdown project, we were tracking bass direct with the intention of re-amping later on... I split the signal, one dry DI, one SansAmp (just so it wouldn't sound so boring to the dude tracking). Then lockdown came before I could get my hands on a decent bass rig so I ended up just mixing with the SansAmp and it worked great. I shouldn't have been surprised, it's a time tested thing, but I was. Added in a bit of that Massey THC plugin (my new secret bass weapon) and blammo.
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

http://maggotbrainny.bandcamp.com

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:57 am

FWIW, the tech 21 VTB is really good also; a lot of guys at talkbass apparently use it on their boards, but I find it great for recording DI, and it can be Ebogged for less than a hundo.

I like all of the "character" pedals, tho', and even their clones (ex., Joyo).

But the one I want is the "Tech 21 Programmable Bass Driver DI" - it sounds really good in the demo vids.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Wed Jul 22, 2020 2:49 pm

bought a new mic... now to break it in.
W47m1sm.jpg
W47m1sm.jpg (114.5 KiB) Viewed 9727 times
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

losthighway
resurrected

Post by losthighway » Wed Jul 22, 2020 3:51 pm

digitaldrummer wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 2:49 pm
bought a new mic... now to break it in.

W47m1sm.jpg
Report back and let us know what you think!

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:27 pm

losthighway wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 3:51 pm
Report back and let us know what you think!
I had one on loan for a bit and it's really nice so I bought one. this has a M7 style (pvc) capsule. It has a very "vintage" sound to me, which I know is hard to describe. almost like singing on a really nice ribbon mic. it's smooth on top but not really missing anything and certainly not the ice pick to the forehead. bottom end is full. used it as a room mic for drums and the person I sent the tracks to wanted to make sure I would have the same mic setup for the next tune... I don't know if that's really what he was hearing, but I can say it does capture a nice full picture. tried one on acoustic guitar too, but then it had the standard capsule in it, so I hope to try it again with this one soon. can't wait until I can use it on other people too! Damn covid...
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com