Steinberg Nuendo Area

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Steinberg Nuendo Area

Post by Nick Sevilla » Wed Jul 22, 2020 4:33 pm

Hi,

I just upgraded my ancient Nuendo 1.52 to 10.3. Only took 12 years LOL.

So, this thread will be about this DAW.

Anyone here using this???
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

alexdingley
buyin' a studio

Re: Steinberg Nuendo Area

Post by alexdingley » Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:11 am

Curious what prompted the update. I recently fired up my Nuendo 2.0.2 to convert some old ~2003-era sessions to PT. I even thought to myself how completely ahead of its time Nuendo was, but I can’t envision myself switching out of my current Logic/PT paradigm to use a different DAW in the future.

If you start to find any really compelling reasons why someone would use this, these days (over any more-prevalent DAWs), I’d be really intrigued.

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:53 pm

alexdingley wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:11 am
If you start to find any really compelling reasons why someone would use this, these days (over any more-prevalent DAWs), I’d be really intrigued.
I found it is easier than other DAWs, FOR ME...

Since I am a PT guy, Nuendo feels familiar already. I had used it back in 2008-2009 to do surround TV mixing, and found it really useful then. It is super fast on audio edits, having a combo tool easier than the PT combo tool.

I am just so tired of the Avid nonsense, as many are. And I am not upgrading my TDM rig anymore. Too expensive to jump to any newer version/

Nuendo has even more features and is more stable than PT HD. A few friends have been using it for years, and live in LA, so they know the workflow between them and PT really well. One does music for film mainly, did a lot of the incidental (fiddle) stuff on all the Pirates of the Caribbean movies, the other is Chuck Ainlay, who engineered almost all of Mark Knopfler's solo albums, which I love the sound of.

It so far has proven more stable than my PT 2019.12, on the same laptop, same interface. LOL.

I used to love Logic Pro, but when Apple took it over and made it look like Garageband, and removed the easy way to access the advanced functions I was used to using., like the environment (it is still there but a PITFA to get to), I just lost interest. I do love their Space Designer delay and reverb, use them from time to time, off another computer, as effects only.

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Mon Aug 03, 2020 4:21 pm

Been using it for a week or so. More stable than PT, for sure.

The latency is really as it should be, 4mS with the RedNet2 connected to my laptop.

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:18 pm

I let my pro tools lapse in March. I don’t plan to send them another dime.

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Wed Aug 05, 2020 4:35 pm

I spent $300 USD upgrading to Nuendo 10.

As opposed to spending $200 to update one year of Avid...

So far it is more stable, using exactly the same computer and audio hardware. LOL.

Things I got for that?

SURROUND MIXING.
DOLBY ATMOS MIXING.

And an endless list of stuff I am sure to use at some point, that still do not exist in PT.

Like, I dunno, BATCH RENAMING FACILITY.

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:33 pm

Really enjoying this DAW.

Stable, stays working for hours on end.

The right click to get all the tools at the mouse is cool.

Crossfading is easy. Editing easy.

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Tue Jan 26, 2021 8:51 am

I am mixing my first project on Nuendo at the end of the week. Since I changed my physical setup, my speakers are now a little further away, so I am listening to references every day for one hour, before doing practice mixes.

Really love the DAW. Learning to do bussing, as you have to create busses once, and then save your setup. It is a little clunky for my taste, but once I get used to it's idiosyncracies, it should be fine.

Got to print a mix, like I was used to in Pro Tools: Using a Mix Buss to send to a new audio track, and also being able to defeat the solo on Master busses, and aux busses.

Making effect auxes is simpler, you just create the FX track you need, and Nuendo automatically creates and names the audio buss, according to the plug in you inserted. Also, when creating the FX track, you instantiate the plug in when you create the track, not afterwards. This saves a bit of time.

Now, to learn to make my Mix Buss, the default output for a mix template.

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Wed Jan 27, 2021 4:36 pm

I can use Pro Tools shortcuts on this thing!!! LOL. Well, the most common ones.

Been test mixing an old track, to learn how to do things I normally do on any DAW.

So far, really easy to get around the windows, it is very stable (knock on cpu chips), and overall sounds transparent.

The older PT TDM HD system, well, it does have "a sound". It sounded "Thinly Masked/ Veiled". That is why I had replaced the interfaces with a Focusrite RedNet 2. then the latency got too big. LOL. If it's not one thing...

A great thing now, the latency within Nuendo is LOWER than with Pork Tewls using the same hardware and driver (Dante VOiP). Go figure.

I am sure I will be learning more as I go, but the basic audio routing, plug in inserts etc, were easy enough to learn.

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Fri Feb 05, 2021 6:25 am

Just finished a live concert mix video, 9 songs plus one splice, so really ten songs.

23 tracks, 1hr 40 minute session length. All done to picture.

3 days of heavy mixing, and not a single crash.

I went back to the default Nuendo key command set. the ProTools one is woefully small.

Not to begin to take a dump on a DAW that served me well for 20 years. But I did get tired of paying $200 USD for basically bug fixes, some of which would not get addressed in over a year. I was also a member of their advisory committee for a few years, and basically, they never listened to us, the professional music industry user base. The video guys seem to have all the pull there. So, they can keep it.

Nuendo by the way, does better in the video department too. LOL.

digitaldrummer
ghost haunting audio students

Post by digitaldrummer » Fri Feb 05, 2021 8:48 am

and a license is a license right? not a greedy subscription plan?

My PT maintenance will end in Sept this year. Their policy is so confusing, but last time I tried to decode it, I came away with the notion that I would have to surrender my perpetual license (oxymoron...) or pay 2X for further maintenance/support. At which point I say f--- them, and I will keep my money for something else. So always good to know if there are other options out there (I know Reaper is yet another option)
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Sun Feb 07, 2021 9:48 am

digitaldrummer wrote:
Fri Feb 05, 2021 8:48 am
and a license is a license right? not a greedy subscription plan?

My PT maintenance will end in Sept this year. Their policy is so confusing, but last time I tried to decode it, I came away with the notion that I would have to surrender my perpetual license (oxymoron...) or pay 2X for further maintenance/support. At which point I say f--- them, and I will keep my money for something else. So always good to know if there are other options out there (I know Reaper is yet another option)
With Steinberg, your license is yours, "perpetual" as Avid would say.

You only pay for MAJOR updates, which are about every two years or so. And about 200 bucks, that was the last one where I ended up updating from 10 to 11, the cost finally was $172.40 though Sweetwater. Just this past December 9th, 2020.

Like it was in the old days.

Steinberg never went to a subscription model. They did listen to their user base LOL.

digitaldrummer
ghost haunting audio students

Post by digitaldrummer » Mon Feb 08, 2021 7:00 am

Nick Sevilla wrote:
Sun Feb 07, 2021 9:48 am
"perpetual" as Avid would say.
and this is the part that is so corn-fusing, perpetual should mean "forever", yet Avid now requires you to surrender your "forever" license so you can join the subscription model. And to that I call bullshit!
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Mon Feb 08, 2021 10:09 pm

digitaldrummer wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 7:00 am
Nick Sevilla wrote:
Sun Feb 07, 2021 9:48 am
"perpetual" as Avid would say.
and this is the part that is so corn-fusing, perpetual should mean "forever", yet Avid now requires you to surrender your "forever" license so you can join the subscription model. And to that I call bullshit!
Thus why I have two extra TDM licenses tucked away... They truly don't know how confusing they can get. They erased one PT 8 (cheapo version) from my iLok account, without saying. I go to check my licenses, as I do twice a year, and ended up with a PT 8 TDM license as a "sorry." It is weird how they have some classism - bigger names get attention, but only if they keep producing record sales. Once you have skipped a year, you get ignored. Very Hollyweird, that.

Germans just cannot comprehend that behavior... They just want efficiency. LOL.