Who has used Ramsa boards?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

standup
re-cappin' neve

Who has used Ramsa boards?

Post by standup » Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:56 pm

The Soundcraft powered board that I use for band practice needs work. 2 of the 8 channels are clean, the rest are distorted.

And the thing is heavy and has needed repairs every few years, so I'm going to replace it.

With a Ramsa 208 that I got super-cheap off e-bay ($25 + $40 shipping. That cheap). Looks clean, but the seller makes no promises about whether it works or not. But I don't mind dousing it in DeOxit and maybe taking it in for repairs when it's that cheap.

This really will be part of a mini-PA for band practice mostly. With a Crown amp to drive Yamaha wedges. I have nice preamps to record with. But it might find its way into recording situations here and there.

Is it related to the Ramsa 4416 etc that people seem to like? I remember a studio I went to ages ago to do demos was based on a Ramsa board and those demos sounded good. And that guy became rather well-known later, he was a talented engineer.

Magnetic Services
suffering 'studio suck'

Re: Who has used Ramsa boards?

Post by Magnetic Services » Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:51 am

I don't know about that particular model, but I used to have a Ramsa WR-8118 and the 24-channel version (forgot the model number).

Recorded a lot of rock, punk, etc. with them and loved the sound for that stuff. The preamps and EQs always felt like they were adding something (in a good way). Might not be as good if you like a cleaner sound, but should be fine for band practice.

standup
re-cappin' neve

Post by standup » Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:51 am

Got it, it's in decent shape, and every channel seems to work. Totally worth $60

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Sat Aug 08, 2020 1:52 pm

I think the problem with these older boards is if you don't have something with a hot name you just can't give them away. But if you have a use for them and come across something that works you can pretty much name your price.

markjazzbassist
tinnitus

Post by markjazzbassist » Sat Aug 08, 2020 8:28 pm

i had a couple of ramsa boards. sounded great, clean and nice sounding preamps. the ones i had were the 8 channels ones, WR133 and WR130 i believe? EQ nothing to write home about, but for the money i paid (less than $100 per) it was well worth it.

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Sun Aug 09, 2020 1:18 am

I had a used Ramsa board, but I gave it away to someone who never used it when I couldn't sell it. DA7.
Carl Keil

Almost forgot: Please steal my drum tracks. and more.

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Post by Scodiddly » Sun Aug 09, 2020 1:31 pm

We still had a medium-ish Ramsa at work up until about 10 years ago, didn't go out but whenever I looked at it everything still worked just fine.

Dang - you really can buy small Ramsa boards for peanuts on eBay these days.

Judas Jetski
carpal tunnel

Post by Judas Jetski » Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:58 am

I'm still using that Ramsa WR-S 4412 that I got about a zillion years ago. I still totally love it.

I'm running a 16-track now so it gets a little weird sometimes trying to make it all fit.

If I had a WR-S 4416 or 4424 (16 or 24 channel version respectively) life would probably be a lot easier. But when I set the studio up for 8 recorded tracks into 12 channels of board, I didn't leave myself a ton of physical space, so I'm not sure I could fit a bigger board in there now. I was thinking of turning my old WR-S 4412 into some sort of sidecar, but... that's a lot of work.
New Judas Jetski EP up! andysmash.bandcamp.com

www.andysmash.com