Need Help With DIY Diffuser Design...

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Here&ThereStudios
audio school

Need Help With DIY Diffuser Design...

Post by Here&ThereStudios » Sun Aug 02, 2020 6:06 pm

Hey, as we are in pandemic-mode I'm trying to get a better sound in my rental and the walls can't take a heavier diffuser like the more common DIY diffuser you see made out of blocks.

I'm temped to make some quickie DIY diffusers but need to understand one detail before I proceed. I need to know how important all of the different surfaces are in scattering sound. I was going make a simple frame/box and cut 3 channels in the bottom and top pieces, then slide in a some thin lattice boards at different depths. I was going to stop at that. How critical are the "green" surfaces in the third example? Do you need both dimensions to get proper scattering?

Anything worth doing it worth doing right, so I don't want to overlook something critical. Any scientists out there who can school me?

losthighway
resurrected

Re: Need Help With DIY Diffuser Design...

Post by losthighway » Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:29 pm

This is not very scientific, but I got some 1"x 1" furring strips. Cut them at arbitrary lengths with a chop saw (in between .5" and 6") and then nailed them to a piece of wood in rows with random selections of length.

Looks cool. Seems to work well. Took a shit ton of wood.

floid
buyin' a studio

Post by floid » Mon Aug 03, 2020 4:07 am

Looks like you're contemplating something similar to a quadratic residue diffuser. Searching that may find you some useful info. It's a rabbit hole, have fun.
Village Idiot.

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:39 am

I know its not as much fun as making it, but what about something lightweight and ready-made like this?

https://www.gikacoustics.com/product/2a ... bsorber-2/

and you can mount it like a picture frame so if you move, you can take it with you. you could also try a couple and add-on if you need more the big wooden diffuser's can get pretty heavy.

otherwise, if you just need absorption, Owens Corning 703 works well (once you wrap it with cloth) - you can hang it on the walls for mid-high absorption, or stack it in the corners for bass trap ("superchunk" style).
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

markjazzbassist
tinnitus

Post by markjazzbassist » Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:52 am

tapeop had an issue where they had all the design and instructions to make your own DIY one.

https://tapeop.com/tutorials/83/diy-diffusors/

enjoy :)

Here&ThereStudios
audio school

Post by Here&ThereStudios » Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:38 am

Thanks all, I've already got some absorption panels from GIK, I just need to liven up a small room a little.

As I said at the top, the typical DIY diffuser will just be too heavy for me to mount. I'm hoping my slimmed-down design will still help some but at a lighter weight but as I'm not an acoustician I don't know if it will work. It does in my mind! Plus, I've already got a lot of the raw materials so I could put this together on the cheap. Despite the pandemic I've got a lot of pots on the stove so I don't want to waste a bunch of hours on something that will net me no noticeable effect. On that front, thanks for taking the time to read this and I hope you're taking care of your coconut and you've got people you can lean on. Good luck everyone!

markjazzbassist
tinnitus

Post by markjazzbassist » Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:33 am

Here&ThereStudios wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:38 am
Thanks all, I've already got some absorption panels from GIK, I just need to liven up a small room a little.

As I said at the top, the typical DIY diffuser will just be too heavy for me to mount. I'm hoping my slimmed-down design will still help some but at a lighter weight but as I'm not an acoustician I don't know if it will work. It does in my mind! Plus, I've already got a lot of the raw materials so I could put this together on the cheap. Despite the pandemic I've got a lot of pots on the stove so I don't want to waste a bunch of hours on something that will net me no noticeable effect. On that front, thanks for taking the time to read this and I hope you're taking care of your coconut and you've got people you can lean on. Good luck everyone!
if you look at the link i posted you are able to use any length, just use the proportion mentioned in the article. so you can make it 1mm, 2mm, 3mm, 4mm if you want. doesn't have to be in inches.

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:45 am

I think you'd get better results making poly diffusors. Lightweight and easy to make.

Make a frame of 1"x3"s, make it 47" wide. Take a sheet of 1/8 plywood, bend it and fit it into the frame (you'll need a friend). Dampen the panels with some pink fluffy on the back. Done.

Last edited by MoreSpaceEcho on Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

The Scum
moves faders with mind

Post by The Scum » Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:46 am

For a simpler, lighter, hangable diffusor, look up the "polycylindrical" diffusor.

Piece of masonite, bent into a curve, over a more rigid back piece. With a little effort, you can make convex & concave ones to make them more irregular.
"What fer?"
"Cat fur, to make kitten britches."

The Scum
moves faders with mind

Post by The Scum » Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:57 am

To follow MSE's thought - you can get bendable/flexible plywood, where the grain is all oriented in the same direction. Much easier to bend than regular plywood, where the grain alternates, making both axes more rigid.
"What fer?"
"Cat fur, to make kitten britches."

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:01 am

Yeah, it's real easy to bend. Smaller ones you can do yourself, I have a bigger one that's 6' high, that one I needed help with. The bending's easy, it's getting it to stay in the frame that requires help.

Once they're in, they'll stay just fine. You can put in a couple finish nails just to make sure though.

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Post by Scodiddly » Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:50 am

That curved surface design goes back forever - classic design. Probably where I'd start.

There's a youtube channel based out of Chicago here called "Experimental Sound Studio", and they have some big QRD panels made out of that rigid pink insulation foam. It's even their logo!

Ever since the pandemic started they've been going crazy putting up various home shows from all sorts of crazy experimental music / noise / whatever acts. Pretty cool stuff.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCChJYT ... NgUb_pIiqA

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:05 pm

I have some of that rigid blue foam sheathing/insulation that is used in house construction and I've always wondered if it could be used instead of wood to make a very lightweight QR diffuser? The foam might be too porous, but if I could find some spray paint that wouldn't melt it, it might make the surface a little more reflective? it's cheap too...
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:54 pm

I'm far from an expert but AFAIK real lightweight stuff doesn't work for diffusors, you need something with some actual mass.

It's a minefield of shit but the studio acoustics forum at gearslutz actually has a lot of good info on this stuff, it's worth digging through some posts. You'll quickly recognize the half dozen people on there who are worth paying attention to.

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Post by Scodiddly » Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:45 pm

MoreSpaceEcho wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:54 pm
I'm far from an expert but AFAIK real lightweight stuff doesn't work for diffusors, you need something with some actual mass.
Certainly an interesting question. Maybe it's a diffusor at high frequencies, and an absorber at lower frequencies? An abffusor? Diffsorber?

I have some random large pieces of the 1" blue foam that were left here by previous owners, maybe I'll find time to build something.