New squishy parts for old microphones

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

New squishy parts for old microphones

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Thu Aug 13, 2020 3:41 pm

Hello,

I have a bunch of old, dynamic mics and make a knocking sound when you move them. Some of them make a knocking sound if you hit them with too much SPL. Looking inside, the foam and rubber inside seems degraded. Is there a single source to get these bits for various mics?

I have AKG D321's from the 80's. unscrewing the head baskets shows some broken plastic pieces the keep the capsules from moving and degraded foam.

I also have EV N/D468's that each have a little rubber shockmount holding the capsules suspended in the "egg" compartment. Those shockmounts seem stretched out and need to be replaced. Anyone know where to get them?

Or are these the kinds of things where I'm going to have to get creative.

Thanks,

ck
Carl Keil

Almost forgot: Please steal my drum tracks. and more.

winky dinglehoffer
buyin' a studio

Re: New squishy parts for old microphones

Post by winky dinglehoffer » Thu Aug 13, 2020 3:54 pm

EV used to be pretty good with service, but that may have been an owner or two ago. They used to be pretty good about having manuals online as well--you might look to see if they have any docs that show part #s on the shock mounts(it's always best if you can call or email with a part #). Alternatively, post pics of what you're looking to replace & maybe somebody will have a good suggestion.