Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

winky dinglehoffer
buyin' a studio

Re: Latest gear you've acquired.....

Post by winky dinglehoffer » Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:44 am

Recycled_Brains wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:13 am

2 mics on a guitar cab blended how you want only taking up one channel in your DAW or on your console? Send one mic to a 100% wet delay or reverb and blend in and combine to one channel? Those are the first things that came to mind for me.
But other than saving screen real estate(and making decisions quickly instead of letting them pile up), is there any advantage to this?

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:12 am

winky dinglehoffer wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:44 am
Recycled_Brains wrote:

2 mics on a guitar cab blended how you want only taking up one channel in your DAW or on your console? Send one mic to a 100% wet delay or reverb and blend in and combine to one channel? Those are the first things that came to mind for me.
But other than saving screen real estate(and making decisions quickly instead of letting them pile up), is there any advantage to this?

^^^ You answered you're own question.

There are tons of times that I blend 2 mics to one channel even in a world of infinite daw tracks. I do it even more often on tape regardless of the available track count. If you get in the habit of thinking of your tracking decisions as mix decisions it becomes much easier to make each new overdub fit with what's already there. The project moves faster and can sound more cohesive. It's a hard thing to get comfortable with if you're used to preserving options but it can be really liberating once you get comfortable with it. You've got to learn to trust your decisions in the moment which can be hard.

Another use I could think of for these would be top and bottom tom or snare mics. Or kick in and out, although even I might leave that balance til mix time.

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:23 pm

picked up a used Aphex J Pre 500 series today. I was kind of surprised to see they were discontinued. Maybe they were the wrong price point? Or just saturation of the 500 series market? Not a lot of reviews on them. I know they are not sexy Neve or API colors, but just look at those Jensen Xfmrs! Also, Burr Brown (OPA) 2134UA and THAT1646. Clean... but then transformers too. And the limiter/clip protection. Now I need to find something to use it on.
AphexJPre500.jpg
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Tue Sep 22, 2020 5:29 pm

That combiner thingie is good for snare, and also backing vox if tracks are limited.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Wed Sep 23, 2020 2:24 am

vvv wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 5:29 pm
That combiner thingie is good for snare, and also backing vox if tracks are limited.
I didn't see a polarity flip though. I'd always wonder.
Carl Keil

Almost forgot: Please steal my drum tracks. and more.

Burnt Ernie
steve albini likes it

Post by Burnt Ernie » Wed Sep 23, 2020 5:25 am

Front and back (phase reversed) on combo amps,close and room on guitar amps,top and bottom (phase reversed) on snare,toms. Close and far percussion,behind bridge and 16th fret on acoustics,yadda yadda.
I am the Walnut

Burnt Ernie
steve albini likes it

Post by Burnt Ernie » Wed Sep 23, 2020 5:36 am

Pretty much got these cause they were ridiculously cheap,and I'm out of inputs. I have a soundcraft 200b 8x4x2 (drum front end) and an Altec 1589b into an XR18 at our practice space/studio. Everything's mic'd up so it's easy to plug in laptop,hit record and practice/record.
I am the Walnut

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Wed Sep 23, 2020 7:45 am

Snarl 12/8 wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 2:24 am
vvv wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 5:29 pm
I didn't see a polarity flip though. I'd always wonder.

I haven't used it that much, but, while such a switch would certainly be handy, it's not really necessary. Use the 3@1 rule, use a reverse-wired cord, or just yer ears. :twisted:
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

winky dinglehoffer
buyin' a studio

Post by winky dinglehoffer » Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:24 am

Burnt Ernie wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 5:25 am
Front and back (phase reversed) on combo amps,close and room on guitar amps,top and bottom (phase reversed) on snare,toms. Close and far percussion,behind bridge and 16th fret on acoustics,yadda yadda.
Thanks for all the tips, Ernie & everybody! Good info & insight.

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Post by Recycled_Brains » Wed Sep 23, 2020 10:15 am

winky dinglehoffer wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:44 am
Recycled_Brains wrote:

"making decisions quickly instead of letting them pile up"

Not having a shitload of channels to manage. Not wasting buss / auxiliary real estate.
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

http://maggotbrainny.bandcamp.com

Mark
tinnitus

Post by Mark » Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:19 pm

Not exactly the latest gear I've acquired but, I needed to free up a power socket on my distributor for an analogue delay. At random I chose to unplug my ART phantom power supply and run my SP B1 through my Midiman Audio Buddy instead. Surprisingly, given the anaemic nature of the Audio Buddy's phantom power (original 90s model), it doesn't suck. I might actually keep using the Audio Buddy as a mic pre since the phantom can be switched in and out as needed. As opposed to the ART where it's either on or the whole unit is off (and, I presume, no signal passes through?).
WWRHS?

jmann
alignin' 24-trk

Post by jmann » Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:23 am

My birthday present to myself was a used lunchbox and two DIYRE CP5 kits. (I built a Hamptone JFET years ago and it's still the nicest thing I own. I wanted to try some fun DIY stuff again.)

The DIYRE kits are just unbelievably well-documented and organized. A real joy to put together. And the sound of the 15ips MkII Colour is really fun so far. (If anyone wants to recommend different Colour modules to try, have at it. I record mostly by myself, and I'm frequently trying to warm up/subtly destroy the sound of my voice, drum machine, guitars, etc.)

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:28 pm

jmann wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:23 am
If anyone wants to recommend different Colour modules to try, have at it.
www.barthrk.com -- he's got some really inexpensive modules and preamps/eqs, etc. The web site is kind of like going to a used card lot... but some listed on Reverb too. I had a pair of the MP568C with the GT and British module. His British console module has internal jumpers that really drive the circuit and get very wooly if that is your thing.
Mike

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:53 pm

I got a soup can reveb mic (who'd a thunk it?) on Reverb. It showed up from England today.
https://reverb.com/item/35173983-the-sp ... instrument

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Fri Oct 02, 2020 6:11 am

drumsound wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:53 pm
I got a soup can reveb mic (who'd a thunk it?) on Reverb. It showed up from England today.
https://reverb.com/item/35173983-the-sp ... instrument
Ha! it's Mr. Microphone in a can!

Looks fun!
Mike