Alternatives to DAWs?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

standup
re-cappin' neve

Re: Alternatives to DAWs?

Post by standup » Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:16 pm

I still have a valid PT "permanent" license, but I've completely moved to Logic running on a recent mac mini.

It's working for me. Last EP I put together was 100% in Logic.

soundsofcallado
studio intern

Post by soundsofcallado » Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:35 pm

I appreciate all the feedback everyone. It has been helpful and reflective.
Thank you.

sweetsoundsrecords.bandcamp.com
lucystoner.bandcamp.com
oceanray.bandcamp.com

vernier
pushin' record

Post by vernier » Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:40 pm

soundsofcallado wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:28 am
I hav been working in PT10 ever since it has been out. I don't dare update anything as I like what I have and I know that PT is now subscription based. I use and RME Fireface UFX as my interface and I love the setup. I have some decent plug ins and have always been able to do what I needed with this setup. One issue I have is the laptop I have PT on is so old it wouldn't update to the new PT anyway, so an additional expense of a new computer along with that upgrade. However, with digital things needing constant updates and the headaches those things bring, I am wondering what the consensus opinion is on getting away from DAWs.

I have been looking at the Tascam Model 24 and I am aware that is has many shortcomings in terms of inputs, aux sends and things of the like. Not a big fan of the one-button-for-all phantom power. But it seems like a solid piece of gear that will still allow me to do what I'm doing. I believe I read somewhere you can't mix on that thing using certain effects (the compressor maybe). But I am certainly interested in the idea of going back to analog setup or something like that in an effort to lesson the occasional grief of the DAW.

Thoughts?

Thank you.
If an old computer breaks, you can usually find an replacement, which I've done several times.