References in mixing

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

vvv
zen recordist

References in mixing

Post by vvv » Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:17 am

Inspired by joninc's post in the lo-fi mids thread, do you use reference tracks?

While actively mixing?

If yes, then no; when do you use reference tracks?
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Re: References in mixing

Post by digitaldrummer » Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:38 am

I have a bunch of WAV files ripped from favorite CDs in various styles. I don't pull them into a session, but I will play them as a guide if I'm trying to capture a certain vibe. or as inspiration maybe... but also to better understand my monitors and space.
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:02 am

Yes, then no.

I have a drive that's solely for ripped cds, I have pretty much my whole collection on there, and it's nice to be able to listen to whatever with a mouse click, without having to go through the agonizing, antiquated process of actually getting up out of my chair and walking over to the cd rack. So tiring!

But i don't normally listen while mixing. I have in the past and it was super helpful, as I mentioned in that other thread. When I was getting my new room together and finalizing the acoustics, I listened to my favorite dozen refs so many times I don't think I've listened to any of them since.

I listen to refs if I feel like my ears are going crazy. I can pop in *whatever it is that I've been listening to for 25 years* and immediately say ok yeah that sounds like it always has your ears are fine get back to work. Or I listen if I just want to hear something I'm not working on. It's really fun and educational to just sit down and play demo derby, go through a whole bunch of totally different songs and see how they all relate to each other. Doing this gives you a good idea of how big a ballpark you have to work in.

losthighway
resurrected

Post by losthighway » Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:21 am

When I went to a shop to try out my new Focals I brought Wilco's "Hell Is Chrome" engineered by Jim O' Rourke, from their A Ghost Is Born album. It's kind of the gold standard in hi fi for me. The dude that owns the shop said, "That's nice! Is that you?" I almost spit out the sparkling water he'd given me.

But that song's wide dynamics and hushed control doesn't match up with a lot of what I work on.

I tend to reference a few different things for genre specific purposes. For punk/louder indie etc stuff I tend to put up J Robbins mixes a lot because I find his work to be very consistent. For huge wall of down tuned guitars stuff I like to refer to Deftones stuff, even though the occasional metal band I work with might roll their eyes at me for that. I had a fun time analyzing some of Questlove's crazy drum sounds on a Roots record in producing a hip hop section for a band I was working with. Otherwise I go back to a lot of 70's stuff, Neil Young, Van Morrison, Dylan with a backing band stuff for a lot of the more middle ground singer/songwriter, folk/country/whatever rock. Steve Albini's work on less aggressive band's albums in the last 15-20 years is also pretty flawless. The sense of balance and space on Magnolia Electric Co and Nina Nastasia albums, is pretty remarkable.

losthighway
resurrected

Post by losthighway » Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:23 am

*** but more to the point. I have a hard time putting up references outside of the studio. I feel like I can control the audio environment enough in the control room to glean some wisdom, but it tends to confuse me in the car, or on the home stereo.

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:47 am

losthighway wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:21 am
Steve Albini's work on less aggressive band's albums in the last 15-20 years is also pretty flawless. The sense of balance and space on Magnolia Electric Co and Nina Nastasia albums, is pretty remarkable.
+1.

When I went to the shop to try out the B+W's I've now had for 15 years, the first song I played was Shellac's "Ghosts" off 1000 Hurts (this song probably wins my Ref of all Refs, even though it sounds totally weird and unlike anything I make or work on). So I'm sitting there thinking WOW! This sounds awesome! Song finishes and I look over at the salesguy, who has a look on his face that's a mixture of anger and total confusion, and he says "is that.....something that was professionally recorded and mixed?"

I chuckled and assured him it was.

Burnt Ernie
steve albini likes it

Post by Burnt Ernie » Thu Oct 22, 2020 1:53 pm

Beatles-Paperback Writer, Mostly And Your Bird Can sing, Then Melvins Lizzy (for 400-500 hz), 2nd Cypress Hill for Sub/Kick problems, 1st PIL album for Ambience/kick/snare balance. Anything by The Meters to gauge kick/snare and ambience. I guess these for the most part share a concern for midrange instrument/vocal/midrange perspective,focusing on what might be muddy in lo mids,or tearing your face off at top end of high midrange. I like lo midrange grind (Paperback Writer),and vocals kinda treated like another electric instrument.
I am the Walnut

Burnt Ernie
steve albini likes it

Post by Burnt Ernie » Thu Oct 22, 2020 1:57 pm

And of course I know everything's gonna get mangled/caressed in mastering,I just prefer getting as close as I can,without crushing the crap out of anything before it gets sent of to the Mangler in Charge.
I am the Walnut

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Thu Oct 22, 2020 4:08 pm

I cannot do it mid mix like some people. It just confuses and derails me. If I go to work somewhere else I try to bring a couple of things I know well with me, so that I can hear what something I know sounds like in that space, on those speakers. Richard Thompson's Rumor and Sigh is my favorite for that, with Los Lobos' Colossal Head as a good second. Both are Tchad Blake mixes, but pretty different sounding. Rumor and Sigh doesn't have a bunch of the 'Tchadisms' but Colossal Head is rife with them. I'll usually bring something I did as well, again to see how the studio sounds.

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Thu Oct 22, 2020 5:58 pm

Before mixing:

YES.

During mixing:

Only if needed (for a specific amount of bass, for example.)

Typically, I get references from the client if they feel it will help.
Otherwise I'll use mine.
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

losthighway
resurrected

Post by losthighway » Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:22 pm

drumsound wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 4:08 pm
Los Lobos' Colossal Head as a good second.
That album blew my damn mind a few months ago. It's fun when you miss something great, and then you get it later. Great record.

Okay, but back to mixing.

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:27 pm

losthighway wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:22 pm
drumsound wrote:
That album blew my damn mind a few months ago. It's fun when you miss something great, and then you get it later. Great record.

That record changed my life.

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Fri Oct 23, 2020 5:58 am

now that we are in the weeds... I preferred Kiko.
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:23 am

A.David.MacKinnon wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:27 pm
losthighway wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:22 pm
drumsound wrote:

That record changed my life.
Mine too.

losthighway
resurrected

Post by losthighway » Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:59 am

digitaldrummer wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 5:58 am
now that we are in the weeds... I preferred Kiko.
Also mind blowing.