Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Re: I need help High Passing

Post by Recycled_Brains » Wed Nov 04, 2020 10:37 am

Phobos wrote:
Wed Nov 04, 2020 10:19 am
Does anybody high pass toms? 80 Hz? Maybe not the floor tom?
If they need to be high-passed, yes. Not as a rule thought. If I do, I employ a HPF + resonant bump (I use Fabfilter EQ or Louder than Liftoff Chop Shop plugins for this) and scan until I actually hear the fundamental of the drum get bigger. Then I either leave it there, or I'll back the filter down to the octave below.

I LPF toms (and other drums) gently more often to mellow out the cymbal bleed.

In all honesty, I've been finding LPF'ing just as, if not more useful in general. People get so fixated on balancing the low end and forget that there is a lot of useless crap up on the top too. The way a LPF can bring focus to an instrument, of make room for something else can't be understated in certain instances. I just mixed a song last month where I LPF'd the OH's at 5khz, which seems insane, but it completely altered the balance of the entire mix for the better.
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

http://maggotbrainny.bandcamp.com

vernier
pushin' record

Post by vernier » Wed Nov 04, 2020 2:22 pm

I'd probably just use it on drums, if anything.

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Post by Scodiddly » Wed Nov 04, 2020 5:46 pm

So what make/model of high pass filter did you get?

For most people these days it's just another knob, virtual or otherwise, on every channel possible. Sounds like you're planning on using it during the tracking phase instead of mixing, though.

numberthirty
steve albini likes it

Post by numberthirty » Wed Nov 04, 2020 8:06 pm

drumsound wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 8:23 pm
standup wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 4:22 pm
Sometimes I hi-pass AND lo-pass electric guitars, trying to have it live in just the range it needs.

And then I play it back the next day and sometimes it sounds like a jar full of insects. Oops.

Hi-passing kick is something I started experimenting with in the last few years, after doing a recording workshop with Larry Crane. Learned a lot. But HPF on kick was eye opening. Huh. Huh?
BX Cleansweep on guitars can be great for getting a little hi end control and low filtering.

I have the Grays Ro Sham Bo (Jon Brion and Jason Faulkner) that JJP did. I feel like a big part of the mix of that record is somewhat sever hi and low pass filters on EVERY track. I feels like everything is just the essential part of the midrange of each track. It both sounds goofy and works perfectly.

(you can also really hear the mix-bus compressor on that record)
About that...

Back in the day, I looked high and low for a copy of that record. Nada.

In either '98 or '99, I found a copy in a box of rando stuff at the Kane County Flea Market.

Totally agreed about how "Do It!!..." the calls are on that record. No tip toeing.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Wed Nov 04, 2020 9:51 pm

numberthirty wrote:
Wed Nov 04, 2020 8:06 pm
drumsound wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 8:23 pm
standup wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 4:22 pm
Sometimes I hi-pass AND lo-pass electric guitars, trying to have it live in just the range it needs.

And then I play it back the next day and sometimes it sounds like a jar full of insects. Oops.

Hi-passing kick is something I started experimenting with in the last few years, after doing a recording workshop with Larry Crane. Learned a lot. But HPF on kick was eye opening. Huh. Huh?
BX Cleansweep on guitars can be great for getting a little hi end control and low filtering.

I have the Grays Ro Sham Bo (Jon Brion and Jason Faulkner) that JJP did. I feel like a big part of the mix of that record is somewhat sever hi and low pass filters on EVERY track. I feels like everything is just the essential part of the midrange of each track. It both sounds goofy and works perfectly.

(you can also really hear the mix-bus compressor on that record)
About that...

Back in the day, I looked high and low for a copy of that record. Nada.

In either '98 or '99, I found a copy in a box of rando stuff at the Kane County Flea Market.

Totally agreed about how "Do It!!..." the calls are on that record. No tip toeing.
I bought my copy at the local college NPR "recycled music sale" probably around the same time. Incidentally at the Second TapeOpCon, I got to talk to Jon Brion and tell him I was a fan. I mentioned that I had Ro Sham Bo and he said "Oh, I'm sorry." I told him I loved it (but didn't tell him my favorite song on it is a Buddy Judge song) and he said "its got its moments..." We also bonded over out mutual hatred of SM57s.

Get a copy of his solo record Meaningless if you can!

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Wed Nov 04, 2020 11:42 pm

FWIW, I just ordered a copy off the Ebog - I recall hearing praise about it around here some years ago, also.

I think the same thread might have praised Jellyfish ...
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Thu Nov 05, 2020 7:00 am

vvv wrote:
Wed Nov 04, 2020 11:42 pm
FWIW, I just ordered a copy off the Ebog - I recall hearing praise about it around here some years ago, also.

I think the same thread might have praised Jellyfish ...
Its a wonderful record!

markjazzbassist
tinnitus

Post by markjazzbassist » Thu Nov 05, 2020 8:49 am

Scodiddly wrote:
Wed Nov 04, 2020 5:46 pm
So what make/model of high pass filter did you get?

For most people these days it's just another knob, virtual or otherwise, on every channel possible. Sounds like you're planning on using it during the tracking phase instead of mixing, though.
i did buy it thinking i would track with it but the varied opinions and the "turn knob and listen to how it sounds" factor of using it makes me think i won't track with it. i will revisit come mix time. i didn't know if it was a univeral truth or not, from the responses here it doesn't seem to be a universal truth to use one or not and what freq.

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Thu Nov 05, 2020 9:57 am

It's def not a universal thing, it's really case by case. It's not something I'd do when tracking, especially if you're tracking yourself. I think it's extra important to keep the engineering decisions to the minimum when you're recording yourself so you can focus on playing.

floid
buyin' a studio

Post by floid » Thu Nov 05, 2020 10:19 am

MoreSpaceEcho wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 9:57 am
It's def not a universal thing, it's really case by case. It's not something I'd do when tracking, especially if you're tracking yourself. I think it's extra important to keep the engineering decisions to the minimum when you're recording yourself so you can focus on playing.
Interesting. That last sentence makes total sense, actually.
But I've always had the impression that judicious/conservative hp during tracking was a good thing, and plenty of preamp manufacturers seem to think so... I wonder if there might be a difference between working to tape vs digital? As in, unnecessary lows having an effect on gain staging to tape?
Village Idiot.

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Thu Nov 05, 2020 10:37 am

Well sure, it could I suppose. And I don't think a conservative HP is going to hurt anything. I just know from recording myself that I don't want to think about engineering at all, I don't want to worry oh am I hitting that compressor too hard or should this sound be brighter or whatever it is. I just want to play.

digitaldrummer
ghost haunting audio students

Post by digitaldrummer » Thu Nov 05, 2020 11:21 am

oh yeah, I always HPF in the mix unless I know absolutely 100% that I want to engage the HPF on a preamp going in (and I do that on some things when that button is available - most of my preamps don't have one). For example, I will never want or need < 80Hz on a tambourine or shaker track. I mostly never need below 250Hz!
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Thu Nov 05, 2020 11:52 am

I’ve been using a healthy amount of the UAD Tonelux Tilt eq lately, mostly for the 6 dB high-pass filter. You can sneak it up a bit higher than you might a 12 or 24 dB filter and have it still sound natural. I have a little Martin 0-15 that puts out a fair amount of upper low-end (does that make sense?), so some gentle high-pass helps a bunch.

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Thu Nov 05, 2020 4:36 pm

I didn't know this was a thing, but with all the legal weed out there, I understand.

My advice:
Just say "Woah! Dude!" a lot.
Eat Dorritos.
Talk endlessly about things that you'll never do or that will never happen.

ck
Carl Keil

Almost forgot: Please steal my drum tracks. and more.

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Post by Recycled_Brains » Thu Nov 05, 2020 5:25 pm

digitaldrummer wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 11:21 am
oh yeah, I always HPF in the mix unless I know absolutely 100% that I want to engage the HPF on a preamp going in (and I do that on some things when that button is available - most of my preamps don't have one). For example, I will never want or need < 80Hz on a tambourine or shaker track. I mostly never need below 250Hz!
I'll HP the lowest frequencies out of things when I'm tracking if I'm using preamps that have them built in. Talking like 25-50 hz... that area. I'll also often boost the lows a little afterwards too. Not on everything though.
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

http://maggotbrainny.bandcamp.com