Monitoring is a mess.

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

standup
re-cappin' neve

Monitoring is a mess.

Post by standup » Thu Nov 12, 2020 7:36 am

My monitor controller was distorting out, so I bypassed it and sent it to the manufacturer.

Then the woofer on one of my Focals started cutting out. Tweeter only. Restart the speaker, woofer is back (for a while). So that monitor is at a place that can service Focal, with ominous caveats about « parts from France ». I wonder if it’s an error with a microprocessor, since the amp and crossover seemed to be working.

I’m doing this in my spare time, I have a job. Not even working with other musicians now, obv because of COVID.

So I’m listening on a pair of Swans computer speakers (one full range driver, some midrange emphasis, my fake Auratones) and HD650’s.

On Monday I should get a pair of Radio Shack Minimus 7’s that I’ll run off of an Adcom 535.

So back to my early days of cheap stereo gear for monitoring.

I don’t really have a question unless you’ve had a similar problem with a Focal solo 6be. Otherwise, I’m venting. Thank god I’m not trying to make a living with this stuff.

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Re: Monitoring is a mess.

Post by digitaldrummer » Thu Nov 12, 2020 8:04 am

I don't know if the Focal's use a push clip or solder to the woofer, but might be worth opening it up to check and make sure there is not an intermittent connection. might save you a lot of hassle in the long run.
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Thu Nov 12, 2020 8:25 am

This sort of thing is the stuff of nightmares for me, sorry you have to deal with it.

losthighway
resurrected

Post by losthighway » Thu Nov 12, 2020 8:58 am

When I bought my pair of Focal Shape 65s, the shop I bought them from, burned them in for me and then it worked out that I was plugging them in half an hour before a tracking session.

An hour into the tracking session one of the speakers went out and would not come back to life (can't remember if it was woofer, or power, or what now). I just about had a heart attack.

Fortunately the shop I bought them from, and Focal were both totally cool and replaced it as fast as they could get another one out to us. The pair has been running smooth since. It's scary to think something that costs that much could be a lemon, but they covered their end of it well.

standup
re-cappin' neve

Post by standup » Thu Nov 12, 2020 10:23 am

digitaldrummer wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 8:04 am
I don't know if the Focal's use a push clip or solder to the woofer, but might be worth opening it up to check and make sure there is not an intermittent connection. might save you a lot of hassle in the long run.
Too late, it’s in the shop. But considering powering it down and back on fixed the problem, I don’t think it was a loose wire kinda thing.

I replaced one of the $300 tweeters, it had screw-down terminals.

standup
re-cappin' neve

Post by standup » Thu Nov 12, 2020 10:28 am

losthighway wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 8:58 am
Fortunately the shop I bought them from, and Focal were both totally cool and replaced it as fast as they could get another one out to us. The pair has been running smooth since. It's scary to think something that costs that much could be a lemon, but they covered their end of it well.
No retailer here, i got these used from someone in Nashville. So I won’t get that kind of support. I emailed Focal for a recommendation on where to get them serviced and never heard back, so not counting on them much.

losthighway
resurrected

Post by losthighway » Thu Nov 12, 2020 11:14 am

I hear they respond faster if you say "S'il vous plait".