RADAR users: need help with session controller

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

HeyMrE
audio school

RADAR users: need help with session controller

Post by HeyMrE » Tue Nov 17, 2020 1:04 pm

hello everyone. we use radar units in our studio at school, and one of my students stepped on the remote cable going from the radar 24 to the session controller. of course it pulled the wires free from the connector, which stayed dutifully screwed into the video card...

its only a few wires to solder back to the 9 pin connector, but I need to know the pinout. does anyone have one? you can unscrew the plastic shroud and take a photo of the connections, or just write the pinout (red to 4, etc). my students and i would be incredibly thankful.

HeyMrE
audio school

Re: RADAR users: need help with session controller

Post by HeyMrE » Tue Nov 17, 2020 2:27 pm

I totally don't mind sending someone some PayPal or Venmo love if they can do this. I understand it is time and time is $

winky dinglehoffer
buyin' a studio

Post by winky dinglehoffer » Tue Nov 17, 2020 2:53 pm

Have you tried contacting iz directly (izcorp.com)? It's been ages since I had any reason to speak to them, but in my experience they were quite friendly & helpful.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:58 am

My RADAR has been gone for quite a while. In a pinch you could open up the other end of your cable (the one that didn't get messed up) and mimic that on the repair end.

Good Luck.

HeyMrE
audio school

Post by HeyMrE » Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:23 am

drumsound wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:58 am
My RADAR has been gone for quite a while. In a pinch you could open up the other end of your cable (the one that didn't get messed up) and mimic that on the repair end.

Good Luck.
unfortunately it doest work that way. that would work for the re-8 controller because it was just a standard cable with the same ends on both, well, ends. the later Session Controller has a db25 type guy on one end, and the other has the 9 pin plug (the part that pulled free) and a separate power supply plug.

I can ALMOST tell with wire goes to which pin by the way the wires are positioned, but it would take much to send power to something that doesn't want power.

thanks for the suggestion though! I really appreciate the responses.

HeyMrE
audio school

Post by HeyMrE » Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:32 am

winky dinglehoffer wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 2:53 pm
Have you tried contacting iz directly (izcorp.com)? It's been ages since I had any reason to speak to them, but in my experience they were quite friendly & helpful.
I contacted IZ and spoke to Raymond, who is awesome and as enthusiastic about radars as I am! radar has changed hands. as I understand it, Barry (the OG) sold out to his partner. i don't know how things used to be, but now they are VERY much not into sharing the pinout (etc) with their customers.

I guess I understand, but what it really means is that instead of spending 2 minutes resoldering this connection, I am told to buy a new cable, at $249...

Raymond (who is awesome) said he could not tell me the pinout because the radar ownership forbids it.

I think my only hope is finding someone who has a session controller, and getting a pic or pinout. the casing on that connection can be opened with two screws, and that would do it.

again, I totally don't mind paying someone for their time to do this!

thanks so much for the responses! I am hoping we can get back up and running in time for the students to finish their projects by the end of the semester.

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Post by Scodiddly » Wed Nov 18, 2020 4:32 pm

Hmm... 9 pin to 25 pin. Reminds me of the old RS-232 days.

Here's something you could do. Open up the 25 pin end, and see which pins are being used. Compare that to the published (everywhere) pinout for a 25-pin RS-232 serial connection. If it's all the same pins, then the other end is probably the 9-pin RS-232 serial pinout. Of course if any significant power is being carried over the cable to power the remote then I'm probably wrong, but it's worth looking at.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:07 pm

HeyMrE wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:32 am
winky dinglehoffer wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 2:53 pm
I contacted IZ and spoke to Raymond, who is awesome and as enthusiastic about radars as I am! radar has changed hands. as I understand it, Barry (the OG) sold out to his partner. i don't know how things used to be, but now they are VERY much not into sharing the pinout (etc) with their customers.

I guess I understand, but what it really means is that instead of spending 2 minutes resoldering this connection, I am told to buy a new cable, at $249...

Raymond (who is awesome) said he could not tell me the pinout because the radar ownership forbids it.

I think my only hope is finding someone who has a session controller, and getting a pic or pinout. the casing on that connection can be opened with two screws, and that would do it.

again, I totally don't mind paying someone for their time to do this!

thanks so much for the responses! I am hoping we can get back up and running in time for the students to finish their projects by the end of the semester.
That is some absolute bullshit. Those new guys can fuck right off.

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:10 pm

The best cheapest way is for one of you Radar owners to take one of your remote cables off for 30 minutes,
and use a continuity check with a multimeter between the two connectors, and then write down the proper pinout.

Then, share that info.

Really, that is all that need to happen here.
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

HeyMrE
audio school

Post by HeyMrE » Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:41 am

honestly, it is SUPER easy to unscrew the two screws that hold the plastic shroud over the 9 pin end. literally would take seconds to do that and take a quick pic.

thanks for the suggestions and interest guys. I wish I could share pics of what we are doing at school. I've never seen a program quite like it.

just as a check on myself - it doesn't seem weird to ask iz for the pinout does it? like, I don't really feel like I am asking for trade secrets or anything. just trying not to throw away a $250 cable because it need 6 wires soldered...

digitaldrummer
ghost haunting audio students

Post by digitaldrummer » Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:04 am

it does not seem unreasonable, especially if it ends up just being a standard RS-232 cable pinout, which has been around WAY before Radar was even a twinkle in someone's eye.
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

ulriggribbons
steve albini likes it

Post by ulriggribbons » Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:05 am

Here's what I see:

Black-2
Brown -3
Yellow-5
Red-7
Orange-8
Green-9

If some of your colors match up to that, they may be the same. The question is did they use a consistent color scheme over the years. One would hope, but I can't answer that.

Regards

ju

HeyMrE
audio school

Post by HeyMrE » Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:10 am

THANKS!!!!!!!!

HeyMrE
audio school

Post by HeyMrE » Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:13 pm

An EXTRA HUGE Thank You to ShinyBox for saving the day.

The cable is repaired And the kids are back up and running.. It literally took less than 5, and I am extremely thankful to have been able to avoid paying $249 for a new cable.

Again, Thanks everyone, and extra to Shinybox